Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:21 PM

13,683 posts, read 20,840,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Indeed. I'm waiting for San Francisco, San Diego, and San Jose to change their names next. Not to mention Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.
Give it time. LOL!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,189,188 times
Geez you guys. I'm still debating over what came first, chicken or egg

I'm not religious, but i've read bible, just to read it, good story book, all it was to me.

We're nothing but little tiny speks of dust in the never ending Universe. Yes, it's never ending. How can we possibly know anything beyond what we can see? We can't. We don't know about existance of any other "living" intelligent form out there. We can't possibly go and explore every corner of this giant Universe. If there is someting out there, we'll never know.

Alien life? Did aliens brought us here from Mars or any other planet?? Possible, but again, we don't know. Suppose God created every living thing on Earth. Did he create "other" living things that we can't see, feel, hear or even know exist? Do "they" believe in God?? If God created US, who created God? Something to ponder.

All in all, we are nothing but microbs and are parts of something really huge, something realy enourmous that our puney brains wont even comprehend. If you really start thinking about, day after day and night after night, you WILL go insane.
Didn't it happen to one of the scientists in the past?
Eeverything in Universe is based on chemisty and chemical reaction. Protons, nutrons, atoms, etc. Somewhere, somehow this reaction happened, and it created one thing after another, not 10 thousand years ago, not even million years ago. Such reactions are endless, they never die, they transfer and collide to evolve something else. Like I said, we're not capble of comprehensing begining of it.

What you call God, i call Energy, yes, energy never dies, yes, energy transforms from one state/form to another. If something "created" us, it would be Energy. It came from somewhere, many many many millions/billions/trillions years ago, it came from somewhere, but again, we can't comprehend this type of event. We can debate till we turn blue, we can argue about God vs. Whatever else, it will not take us anywhere. So, live your life as good as you can and make the best out of it. We wont live long enought to find out the truth. And truth is literally "out there!"

Cheers!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM

149 posts, read 387,589 times
Fantastic post, ShepsMom! We need more rational thinkers like you!!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:02 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,709,348 times
A very timely documentary tonight

PBS NOVA Documentary Focuses on Controversy Around Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Dr. Kenneth Miller, Pearson Biology Textbook Author Featured in TV Special

BOSTON, Nov. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- An interview with Dr. Kenneth
Miller, co-author (with Joseph Levine) of Pearson's Biology textbook for
high school students, will be part of a NOVA documentary on the Kitzmiller
v. Dover case, the first legal test of intelligent design as a "scientific
theory," to be aired on PBS stations Tuesday, November 13 at 8:00 pm ET/PT.
The two-hour documentary "Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial"
uses trial re-enactments and interviews with expert scientists as well as
with Dover, Pennsylvania parents, teachers, and town officials to capture
the story behind the controversy that erupted in Dover in 2005. Dr. Miller
testified for the plaintiffs at the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial.

PBS NOVA Documentary Focuses on Controversy Around Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,464,742 times
Why is it intelligent DESIGN, instead of intelligent DESIGNERS?

You know, like a boardroom full of deities engaging in product design.

Seems to me if you're going to say evolution is too "random" to explain creation, that won't necessarily preclude the teaching of the existence of multiple Gods "creating" the earth.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:31 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,091,496 times
Shepsmom,

you did ask "what created God?" Fair question since we agree that something cannot come from nothing.

1. Everything which has a beginning has a cause.
2. The Earth and our universe has a beginning therefore it has a cause.

According to Einstein, time is linked to matter and space. So time itself would have had to begin with matter and space.

The Laws of Thermodynamics are the most fundamental laws of physical science:

1. The total amount of mass energy in the universe is constant.
2. The amount of energy available for work is running out.

If the total amount of mass energy is limited, and the amount of usable energy is decreasing, this means that the universe could not have existed forever because the universe would have used up all available energy by now. So this basically points to that the universe began at a certain time.

The universe cannot have created itself, because that would literally mean that it existed before it came into existence.

As a Christian, I ofcourse believe in God. I also believe that God is omnipotent, meaning He can be anywhere anytime. God is not restrained by the time dimension that His creation is. God created time and man is subjected to this time dimension. God dwells outside the time dimension He created called eternity. The Bible also teaches us that one day there will be no time, and this is eternity.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,583,388 times
I support evolution, though, as I look around me in public places, I notice that it seems to be proceeding at an uneven pace.....

Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,583,388 times
I got me a neighbor who's a JACKASS--don't see no reason my grand-daddy couldn't of been a MONKEY.....Least ways thats how I see it.....

Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,524,923 times
Default 13.7 billion

Quote:
What you call God, i call Energy, yes, energy never dies, yes, energy transforms from one state/form to another. If something "created" us, it would be Energy. It came from somewhere, many many many millions/billions/trillions years ago, it came from somewhere, but again, we can't comprehend this type of event.

Well Energy is never destroyed. Unless if falls into a blackhole then it up to quantum mechanics to figure out what happens. Of course that brand of mathamatic it still kind of a work in progress.
Also. I believe there is a date scientist agree on to when the universe was born. They say it about 13.7 billion years ago. +/- 200 million years.

Age of the universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2007, 05:35 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,524,923 times
Default wierder still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
The Laws of Thermodynamics are the most fundamental laws of physical science:

1. The total amount of mass energy in the universe is constant.
2. The amount of energy available for work is running out.

If the total amount of mass energy is limited, and the amount of usable energy is decreasing, this means that the universe could not have existed forever because the universe would have used up all available energy by now. So this basically points to that the universe began at a certain time.

The universe cannot have created itself, because that would literally mean that it existed before it came into existence.
Here's where scientist are working on a new theory of how the big bang. Basically what they're doing is combining string theory and extra dimensional element to form what happened before the big bang.

Physics: String Theory: Wave Structure of Matter explains Resonance / Wave Properties of String Theory

Hey there been weirder things suggested in science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality