Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I believe in a creation, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it took place 6,000 years ago in the Garden of Eden. God could have created the universe in whatever way He wanted. Today's evidence points overwhelmingly towards the evolutionary viewpoint rather than a literal interpretation of Genesis.

One of the most ignorant teachings of the fundamentalist church today is that you can't believe in both God and evolution. Religion and science aren't as incompatible as they would have you believe. Fundies have no problem taking passages in Daniel, Revelation, Isaiah, and even Leviticus (minus Lev 18:22) as symbolic or dated - why are they so persistent on a literal Genesis?

Modern Protestantism seems to be headed in the direction of the Catholic church of the middle ages, when the Pope's interpretation of the Bible was THE ONLY interpretation and anything else was considered heresy.

Great post. I have discussed this with scientists, some of them religious,and they take the same view. New breakthroughs in science does not then negate the possibility of a Creator. It does not have to be an "all or nothing" concept, the two can coexist, and the religious that continue to fight science as more and more advances are made risk making themselves seem increasingly foolish.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
God is Why.

Evolution is How.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why is Earth the only planet found to have life on it? And so many different kinds of life? Why are humans the only species that have knowledge? That know the difference between right and wrong? To have affection? To love? To hate? Surely there would have to be at least a species comparable to humans of the thousands upon thousands of species on this Earth?

Can you prove any of your assertions? We haven't been to all planets; yes, humans are killing all kinds of life on earth; we do not know that the only species to have knowledge are humans, don't dolphins speak (one example); right and wrong is subjective; animal life shows great affection and love; have you heard of dogs biting people who harmed them?

You're not convincing me with your argument. Try again?

Seriously, dolphins "speaking" or a parrot mimicking human voices does not show intelligence comparable to man.

As much as I would like to believe that my dog loves me and cares about me, I dont think that dogs are capable of this emotion. I think that animals are territorial and protect what they perceive to be theirs.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
And you can prove that the earth was created in 7 days? I mean not just faith in the bible. But hard evidence. (I'm assuming your a creationist and as Christian.)

Grant I can't prove there is. But you can't prove there is not. The universe it huge. With untold number of stars and planets in it. Are we the only spot in all the universe with life? Maybe? But if you look a the laws of numbers it's almost impossible for earth to be the only planet in life.

Actually. That's the question that started Charles Darwin on his path to write origin of species.

Well I think a poster above post that an ape was taught sign language. And that the ape can communicate with the sign language. So the ape does have some knowledge. Granted it not that much but it is knowledge.

Again scientist are finding some ape (actually it think it's chimpanzees.) So have emotional responses. But not much emotional control. Frontal lobe wonderful adaptation.

Well we remember we are a aggressive creature. We humans either probably kill off rivals or interbreed with competing species.

Ex. Neanderthals (no our genetic line). I believe if you take the scientific theory we are descended from Cro-magnon man.

Actually I think the theory say that man in his current from has only been around for 200,000 and 250,000 years.

Humans were to busy hunting and gathering and had not figured out farming yet. So there was not time for reading, writing, Etc.

Actually they found flint tools that predated humans. So it is currently believed that our prehumans ancestors used tools. Actually they are finding some primates use primitive tools to get at food.

Again. Humans were to busy hunting and gathering and had not figured out farming yet. So there was not time for reading, writing, Etc.

1. Humans have only been around for 250,000 years tops.

2. Humans didn't figure out farming until 12,000 years ago. So they didn't have the extra time to invent reading and writing etc.

3. your last statement with the bones and artifacts is utterly wrong. There are some bones and plenty of artifacts that show there were prehuman communities that date back way before humans even existed.
Your last statement, what artifacts show prehuman communities? How do we know they are "prehuman"? What type of dating was used to determine they were used by "prehumans"? Everything is based on assumption.

As far as an ape learning sign language, well many animals in a Controlled enviroment can be taught something. I can teach my dog to 'shake hands', 'roll over', etc....as impressive as it is I will not be showing him off at any dog and pony show.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
As much as I would like to believe that my dog loves me and cares about me, I dont think that dogs are capable of this emotion. I think that animals are territorial and protect what they perceive to be theirs.
That is something I totally disagree with. Dogs can love and often grow strong emotional bonds to people. Just because they can't open up their jaws and tell you in english doesn't mean they can't. Many dogs get seperation anxiety when away from their masters, even if there is someone their watching them and feeding them and taking care of all of their basic needs.

This doesn't mean dogs are more intelligent than humans, but to think animals don't have emotion is kind of wild IMO.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Hey they taught Koko to use sign language and Bush to speak, so yeah, I support it.
I think teaching Shrubby to speak took divine intervention.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,824 times
Default distinct

Quote:
Your last statement, what artifacts show prehuman communities? How do we know they are "prehuman"? What type of dating was used to determine they were used by "prehumans"? Everything is based on assumption.
Well by contrasting the carbon dating of the tools and availability of evidence of when modern humans came in to being on planet earth. Now if you don't believe in carbon dating. We just can't have a discussion about dating anything beyond written history. I find that rather sad. But if that is what you believe. Well more power to ya.
I'm a guy that believe in evolution but I'm not angry at someone that is a believer in creationism. Unless they are trying to destroy science and scientific discovery that may help many progress forward in the future. I would prefer not to go back to the darkages again.

As far as an ape learning sign language, well many animals in a Controlled environment can be taught something. I can teach my dog to 'shake hands', 'roll over', etc....as impressive as it is I will not be showing him off at any dog and pony show.[/quote]

Actually after the ape learned the sign language. She was able to communicate somewhat her thoughts and feeling through the language. A dog is not evolved enough to express distinct thoughts or feeling in a way we could understand.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
It boggles my mind to think how some could not support or believe in evolution.

Adaptation, Inheritance and Survival of the Fittest are apparent in everyday life.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Do you believe in the theory and general principles behind the theory of evolution?
The THEORY of Evolution is the biggest joke since people thought the world was flat!!

Here is why: The word "Theory" means (straight from dictionary.com):

the•o•ry Spelled Pronunciation[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]
–noun, plural -ries.

1. contemplation or speculation.
2. guess or conjecture.

—Synonyms 1. Theory, hypothesis are used in non-technical contexts to mean an untested idea or opinion. A theory in technical use is a more or less verified or established explanation accounting for known facts or phenomena: the theory of relativity. A hypothesis is a conjecture put forth as a possible explanation of phenomena or relations, which serves as a basis of argument or experimentation to reach the truth: This idea is only a hypothesis.

the•o•ry n. pl. the•o•ries

1. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

theory - Definitions from Dictionary.com

It means that the THEORY of Evolution has not been proven and it never will because it did not happne this way. A ton of scientists now believe in "Intelligent Design" because they realize this theory (this concept, this wild guess of Drawin's imagination) is a bunch of bull.

Does everyone realize the THEORY of Evolution is mere fiction, not based on facts at all?? It is a mere wild guess!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
The THEORY of Evolution explains what is observable in the natural world far better than any other proposal including "Intelligent" design. The ToE also does not require any super (above or outside of) natural deity to make it work. It just requires time.

In any case I personally prefer thinking about what I OBSERVE to just having faith in some mythical creator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality