Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,652,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It boggles my mind to think how some could not support or believe in evolution.

Adaptation, Inheritance and Survival of the Fittest are apparent in everyday life.
I quite agree. The mind does really boggle indeed. I had no idea until recently that there actually were people who did not accept evolution and who believed in creationism. I thought it was yet another myth. Guess not. Pretty scary though.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The THEORY of Evolution explains what is observable in the natural world far better than any other proposal including "Intelligent" design. The ToE also does not require any super (above or outside of) natural deity to make it work. It just requires time.

In any case I personally prefer thinking about what I OBSERVE to just having faith in some mythical creator.
I will respectfully disagree with you. Honestly, this subject was discussed by seemingly a hundred pages earlier this year.....

ToE works for you and probably fits your belief system just fine. Evolution is a cornerstone of athiest beliefs, any deviation obviously would point to intelligent design. I do encourage you to read up on intelligent design and creationism. I have googled "why creationism is false" just to read up on it and compare it to intelligent design and creationism. I remain a firm believer that God did create this world and every living thing.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,518,650 times
Default schematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Evolution is a cornerstone of athiest beliefs, any deviation obviously would point to intelligent design.
No. Rational scientists know science can't explain everything as of current. In fact I don't think humans will probably be around long enough to figure out all there is to this universe. But they (and I) think that we should not stop trying to seek tangible solutions to questions asked by man. And those solutions should be backed up by hard evidence of repeated experiments over time.
The Scientific Method

Look. Could you be chatting with me and others on this forum is it was not for someone coming up with ideas and using the scientific method to eventually come up with the computer and the INTERNET. Do think the bible had the design schematics for the P.C. or Internet.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
No. Rational scientists know science can't explain everything as of current. In fact I don't think humans will probably be around long enough to figure out all there is to this universe. But they (and I) think that we should not stop trying to seek tangible solutions to questions asked by man. And those solutions should be backed up by hard evidence of repeated experiments over time.
The Scientific Method

Look. Could you be chatting with me and others on this forum is it was not for someone coming up with ideas and using the scientific method to eventually come up with the computer and the INTERNET. Do think the bible had the design schematics for the P.C. or Internet.

Science and my beliefs are not in disagreement. You dont have to argue with me about why I wont "see it your way." Thanks for the link though. Please I ask the same for you to explore other possibilities. Dont just open a book and close it and say "yep that settles it for me." Read up on other information.

The internet is man made, just like a car is man made, just like the theory of evolution. I understand your point but just because people with a little more know how on a specific subject than you and I came up with something like the internet doesnt prove anything.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM

13,673 posts, read 20,811,465 times
Quote:
Evolution is a cornerstone of athiest beliefs
Not really.

To tell you the truth, I do not understand why Bible-thumpers get all bent out of shape over Evolution. They can always say the process was started by God. Surley if he can create the world in 6 days he has the capability to spur a process called Evolution. Hell, they can even claim God was responsible for the Big Bang and for all they or I know, he was.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM

559 posts, read 1,326,679 times
I believe in both popular theories. Go figure that one out!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,803,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I quite agree. The mind does really boggle indeed. I had no idea until recently that there actually were people who did not accept evolution and who believed in creationism. I thought it was yet another myth. Guess not. Pretty scary though.
You have no idea, Moose. School districts want to teach Creationism in science class in some regions of the country, you can guess which ones. But then it is the "Liberals" fault U.S. education is a joke.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,518,650 times
Default backlash

Quote:
Carolina_native;1987465]Science and my beliefs are not in disagreement. You dont have to argue with me about why I wont "see it your way." Thanks for the link though. Please I ask the same for you to explore other possibilities. Dont just open a book and close it and say "yep that settles it for me." Read up on other information.
I'll put it like this. I have the integrity enough to say " I don't know." Those word need to uttered by both side of the the argument more often. I think that really is the root of the problem. Look I've explored the good book, Torah, and some of the Koran. And to be honest I just don't get the "feelings" others get. But when I read my First Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus book. I made me go WOW. I just I don't see is what you see.

The internet is man made, just like a car is man made, just like the theory of evolution. I understand your point but just because people with a little more know how on a specific subject than you and I came up with something like the internet doesnt prove anything.

My question to you is. Can you prove that religious and all it stories is not a man made phenomenon? If you can maybe you can move me to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Not really.

To tell you the truth, I do not understand why Bible-thumpers get all bent out of shape over Evolution. They can always say the process was started by God. Surley if he can create the world in 6 days he has the capability to spur a process called Evolution. Hell, they can even claim God was responsible for the Big Bang and for all they or I know, he was.

I think is a backlash to the no pray in school issue back in the day. And that some atheist are a bit on the anal side and want to remove in god we trust on the dollar bills, etc. etc.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM

13,673 posts, read 20,811,465 times
Quote:
I think is a backlash to the no pray in school issue back in the day. And that some atheist are a bit on the anal side and want to remove in god we trust on the dollar bills, etc. etc.
I think you make a good point. I am averse to prayer in public schools but I did not see the point in requiring Los Angeles to remove the cross from their crest.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,365,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think you make a good point. I am averse to prayer in public schools but I did not see the point in requiring Los Angeles to remove the cross from their crest.
Indeed. I'm waiting for San Francisco, San Diego, and San Jose to change their names next. Not to mention Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality