Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,908,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I think ALL religions are a farce. Does that make me snarky?
environmentalism included?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,113,260 times
Heck the reason Easter is special in Christianity is because, Christianity was established during the Easter season (in what we know as May no less) before being tied to the Jewish choice of date during the month of Nisan (Book of Esther).

<which for s*its and giggles...is the name of the pre-Babylonian myths imported from the Siberian highlands of Manchu (China)...for a FEMALE shaman who resurrects the body of a RICH LAND OWNER>

How's that for ironic.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:34 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,230,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
environmentalism included?
Nah, religion requires the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power such as a god. Thus, environmentalism doesn't qualify as a religion.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Nah, religion requires the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power such as a god.
No it doesn't. At least not any definition I have ever read.

perhaps your's goes something like "religion: every belief system except the ones i believe in."

Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Nah, religion requires the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power such as a god. Thus, environmentalism doesn't qualify as a religion.

But one can add environmentalism to one's religion...

At inauguration, Pope Francis appeals for protection of poor, environment - World News

Quote:
“I would like to ask all those who have positions of responsibility in economic, political and social life, and all men and women of goodwill: Let us be protectors of creation, protectors of God’s plan inscribed in nature, protectors of one another and of the environment.”

Old 03-26-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
No it doesn't. At least not any definition I have ever read.

perhaps your's goes something like "religion: every belief system except the ones i believe in."
Here you go:

First four definitions when searching Google: Definition of religion:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Religion | Define Religion at Dictionary.com
--------------------
(1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

Religion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
-------------------

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Definition of religion in Oxford Dictionaries (US English) (US)
-------------------

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

religion - definition of religion by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
-------------------

Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Most certainly. One can add just about anything to one's religious belief, including that one must murder infidels.

Doing so doesn't make Environmentalism any more a religion than Atheism... Both lack the defining characteristic of a superhuman controlling power, i.e, a god or god-like being.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,279,147 times
Yep, Happy Sex Sunday everyone, hopefully everyone will be getting their sex on to celebrate Spring.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Here you go:

First four definitions when searching Google: Definition of religion:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Religion | Define Religion at Dictionary.com
--------------------
(1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

Religion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
-------------------

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Definition of religion in Oxford Dictionaries (US English) (US)
-------------------

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

religion - definition of religion by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
-------------------
Each source will show one use of religion as regarding a superhuman power, or say it often does, but there will always be a 2. or 3. for the broader use. None support your claim that "religion requires the belief" of the superhuman power.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Most certainly. One can add just about anything to one's religious belief, including that one must murder infidels.

Doing so doesn't make Environmentalism any more a religion than Atheism... Both lack the defining characteristic of a superhuman controlling power, i.e, a god or god-like being.

Easy Francis. I wasn't indicating that environmentalism was a religion above or below atheism...just that it could be become a part of one's base fanaticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality