Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:24 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Uhhh, You used the word idiot first Vizio, and are you trying to tell me what you said to me wasn't meant to be insulting? I would have to be an idiot to believe an idiotic theory, no? I thought you claimed to be logical.
Or be extremely biased against the non-evolution mythologies. One little dumb idea (like evolution, if it was false) wouldn't make you an idiot. Evolution, of course, makes perfect sense internally. As do some of the religionist mythologies, when actively interpreted. Evolution, however, makes more sense when next to some key facts and real-world, testable things. Like Genetics, population dynamics, Microevolution, and speciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,221,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Uhhh, You used the word idiot first Vizio, and are you trying to tell me what you said to me wasn't meant to be insulting? I would have to be an idiot to believe an idiotic theory, no? I thought you claimed to be logical.
I used the word "idiotic" to describe the theory. I did not call you an idiot, nor did I suggest that you are less intelligent.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's as much "science" as the theory of evolution. I'm not suggesting we teach in depth Biblical education...but there is nothing wrong with suggesting that it's a possibility that the universe was created.
BS! 'Suggesting... that it's a possibility that the universe was created' is not science. Scientific Theories are not suggestions. You don't even have a hypothesis which is based on observations - that is why you have faith in your special revelation.

What are creationist going to teach scientifically? Do they know, scientifically, how God created the universe? No! Do they know how he took clay and made man on the 6th day? No! They have nothing to offer, scientifically, except their religious and philosophical (which are illogical) 'suggestions.' LMAO!

As far as prediction and falsification regarding evolution as science see 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Scientific "Proof", scientific evidence, and the scientific method

'The defining characteristic of science is the concept of the testable hypothesis. A testable hypothesis must make predictions that can be validated by independent observers. By "testable", we mean the predictions must include examples of what is likely be observed if the hypothesis is true and of what is unlikely to be observed if the hypothesis is true. A hypothesis that can explain all possible data equally well is not testable, nor is it scientific. A good scientific hypothesis must rule out some conceivable possibilities, at least in principle. Furthermore, a scientific explanation must make risky predictions — the predictions should be necessary if the theory is correct, and few other theories should make the same necessary predictions. These scientific requirements are the essence of Popperian falsifiability and corroboration.'

'Many anti-evolutionists, such as the "scientific" creationists, are especially fond of Karl Popper and his falsifiability criterion. These cynics are well known for claiming that evolutionary theory is unscientific because it cannot be falsified. In this article, these accusations are met head on. Each of the evidences given for common descent contains a section providing examples of potential falsifications, i.e. examples of observations that would be highly unlikely if the theory is correct.'

Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,345,342 times
Saying evolution is false or idiotic etc. is akin to saying gravity is false and idiotic.
----------------
There is no such thing as gravity. It's "intelligent falling".

Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,785,596 times
Quote:
I used the word "idiotic" to describe the theory. I did not call you an idiot, nor did I suggest that you are less intelligent.
Love the debate. Same old false claims, same old quibbles about 'nobody has observed evolution...well by 'evolution' I mean some ultra- speedy kind of evolution that we are never going to be able to observe'... used to justify the idea that it is false. Which sorta gives away the Real agenda here - not to teach Creationism alongside evolution as equally valid science (which it isn't - there is NO scientifically validated evidence for creation and hardly any evidence FOR it (1) presented at all - validated or not) but to oust Evolution theory and teach Genesis based Creation in place of it.

You probably hadn't realized that Vizz, as you don't really think about these things - just repeat the old discredited accusations and turn to dickering about who called who what first when you start losing the argument.

(1) as distinct from all the evidence presented to try to discredit evolution - theory

Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,614,666 times
Anybody who would make this argument with a straight face does not understand science in the slightest. FAIL! It explains the position our country finds itself in nowadays vis a vis our international ranking in science education: 17th out of 49 countries. Hint: the 16 countries ahead of us do not teach creationism in science class.

Quote:
It's as much "science" as the theory of evolution. I'm not suggesting we teach in depth Biblical education...but there is nothing wrong with suggesting that it's a possibility that the universe was created.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,785,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Anybody who would make this argument with a straight face does not understand science in the slightest. FAIL! It explains the position our country finds itself in nowadays vis a vis our international ranking in science education: 17th out of 49 countries. Hint: the 16 countries ahead of us do not teach creationism in science class.
Yes - and if course there is a great deal of difference between suggesting that "it's a possibility that the universe was created" and trying to undermine a scientific discipline with dodgy and poor science or non -science and advocating replacing it (trust me - that is what is intended) with the discredited hypotheses of a Bible - based pseudo - science.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,305,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Saying evolution is false or idiotic etc. is akin to saying gravity is false and idiotic.
----------------
There is no such thing as gravity. It's "intelligent falling".

Gravity is idiotic. It gets dis-proven every day. There are airplanes flying around made of metal and we all know metal falls when you drop it.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Gravity is idiotic. It gets dis-proven every day. There are airplanes flying around made of metal and we all know metal falls when you drop it.
don't forget to mention you are being sarcastic, some people around here can't take a joke.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,701,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
don't forget to mention you are being sarcastic, some people around here can't take a joke.
Thanks for pointing that out. Considering the arguments I heard from theists this weekend, I now believe they would say anything, like the supposed Christian who said that we don't know how the Earth was formed and that Evolution isn't proven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality