Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yeah, right!
The Pope quit because of the heat instigated by who? The ITCCS?!
Yup...I'm sure everybody has heard of them! NOT!
I bet the RCC is really worried about it! LOL!!

That, "Oooh, look at this", was in jest, right?
You had to be joking...even Fundie Bible Literalists aren't that gullible.
I know a few European countries have hinted at this in the past. That being said, and without having done a huge search on this particular cable, I guess it would be easy for anyone to fictitiously write it and post it on the internet and just say "It came from Europe." That would add a certain sense of credibility to it but, as of right now, I haven't seen this posted on any other news site (at least, a really credible one) as being real. It looks like the story originated from the ITCCS and some other internet news sites and blogs picked up on it but that doesn't mean a whole bunch... yet.

Even still, and I know this may sound strange, but having a country issue an arrest warrant for you isn't necessarily grounds for resignation. It's not like that country can just come knock on the door of St. Peter's Basilica with an arrest warrant for the Pope. The only thing it would mean is that if the Pope ever travelled to that country, he could be arrested. It's kind of the same premise that town in Vermont (or was it Connecticut?) had when they issued an arrest warrant for George W. Bush for war crimes. Don't get me wrong, I think the Pope should be arrested and tried but I don't think I believe that this was the cause for his resignation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
hoping for a latin american pope but i think that will not happen
I'm hoping for a female pope but I know that's not going to happen.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
What leader that has achieved his level of power and authority has been able to avoid getting drunk on that power and glory...and overstep to a greater or lesser degree?
He is just a human after all.
He is power drunk.
Condoning abuse of children is not overstepping?

No, catholics believe he speaks ex cathedra.

How does one get to be head of a horribly corrupt institution?
By being corrupt themselves.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,660,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
He is power drunk.
Condoning abuse of children is not overstepping?

No, catholics believe he speaks ex cathedra.

How does one get to be head of a horribly corrupt institution?
By being corrupt themselves.
Ya know chielgirl...I really hope that isn't true.
Not that anything would surprise me.
Seems like every day something ups the ante on the saying, "Just when you think you've heard it all".

I do know...that even if it turns out he is everything everyone could fear, and more...there are some wonderful people in that organization.
There may be enough bad to warrant branding the whole thing corrupt...but that would be a shame, to taint by association, the good works being done by so many individuals that are just nice, very loving, very caring, very generous people, who would never dream of doing anything but good things to help others.

Anyway...I'm gonna wait to see hard evidence before I condemn the man.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,333,328 times
well I agree with the fact that you have to be corrupt to be head of a corrupt organization.
He told this one bishop here in Belgium who sexually abused his own two nephews (and probably so many more that never came forward) to go out of the limelight and stay away from the public as a 'punishment'. And now he's talking of doing the same! Come on!! That's too close for comfort! Oh yeah we can't accuse unless we have proof! Well tell the victims they should hide and not tell as the church has been doing for ages and ages. Why would you want to be head of this horrible firm??? How could you be head of this firm, unless you believe in it's workings?

By the way, do you really think you'll ever see hard evidence? He's stepping down so there will be no investigation!
And I do believe in 'guilty by association'.How can you intermingle with the thieves and not be one? How can you deal with rapists and not be one? etc...

Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
well I agree with the fact that you have to be corrupt to be head of a corrupt organization.
He told this one bishop here in Belgium who sexually abused his own two nephews (and probably so many more that never came forward) to go out of the limelight and stay away from the public as a 'punishment'. And now he's talking of doing the same! Come on!! That's too close for comfort! Oh yeah we can't accuse unless we have proof! Well tell the victims they should hide and not tell as the church has been doing for ages and ages. Why would you want to be head of this horrible firm??? How could you be head of this firm, unless you believe in it's workings?

By the way, do you really think you'll ever see hard evidence? He's stepping down so there will be no investigation!
And I do believe in 'guilty by association'. How can you intermingle with the thieves and not be one? How can you deal with rapists and not be one? etc...
Or head the mafia and not be one of them?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM

896 posts, read 1,865,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshuareigns View Post
St Malacky back in 1139AD was visiting Rome and had a unusual vision which supposedly presented the names of all 111 Popes including Benedict XVI who has
resigned (86 and needs a break). Benedict will resided in a local monestary. The
112th Pope actually will be the last according to his vision albeit prophecy. As a
christian with a sideline interest in end-times I see this as a potential confirmation
that rapture is impending within 10 years let's say. The credibility of this vision
will undoubtedly come under scrutiny and I believe in some circles has already.
I will keep and open mind since I don't need additional prophecies to identify the
season that Jesus' church (believers) will be "caught up" I have enough, but St
Malachy bring it on brother in Christ!
Holey moley! Is that another 'end of the world' thing? We just had one with the Mayans and now it seems we have another.

Did this Malachy say that the last pope was going to be named? Because during the schism there were two popes and ol Malachy might have miscounted.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Holey moley! Is that another 'end of the world' thing? We just had one with the Mayans and now it seems we have another.

Did this Malachy say that the last pope was going to be named? Because during the schism there were two popes and ol Malachy might have miscounted.
Good point. I gather the New pope is the 112th? And he'll be the last one? Great. A prophecy that I can relate to But I rather doubt that it will happen for a looong time yet.

And yes, when the present one pops off and we have a cabal of cardinals ...sorry...God...choose a 113th, there will be some hasty deletions of 'invalid' Popes in order to fiddle the numbers. I prophecy that and you may have Faith in it.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post

Nah, this has been around for a long, long time. I just read a novel a year or so with this theme. The last pope in the book takes the name Peter, which no one other than the fisherman ever used. Wasn't it a Dan Brown story? Anyone? My memory is failing me here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality