Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,341,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned Would you say the same about our current POTUS, that you are saying about the current Pope, if the Pres. were to leave office?
He's posted current atrocities.
Do you want to go back centuries? Oh, we can.

The thing is, it is a commercial enterprise.
Since there's no proof of any god thingie, adherents prove there's a sucker born every minute.

He supported his pedophiles.
That's more than enough to call him evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Do you realize how low you put yourself when you take cheapshots at a person who has achieved what the Pope has? You have no basis for your little rant. You are just a powerless, spiteful person wasting our time.
What's he achieved, aside from protecting pedophiles, harassing nuns and living in the mindset of the 13th century while trying to drag other adherents there as well?

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2013 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 AM

522 posts, read 624,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why, because we don't want their influence in our lives?
No. Basically I try not to be that sensitive, but things that would be insulting of any culture is offensive when directed at my own too. I think that's perfectly fair. If the Dalai Lama resigned and the first statement was "I say goodbye and good riddance to a feudalistic, corrupt man who, when we look at him, should remind us of Richard III with goofy clothing" (Altered it a bit to better fit criticism I've of the Dalai Lama) I'd find that offensive too.

If he had said "I'm not Catholic so I don't care, but others might" that would be a statement of the Pope not influencing the individual and I'd have no problem with that. I likely wouldn't have even minded "The Pope resigned. I never agreed with him on anything I can recall, but it's historic and likely of interest to others."

It is actually possible to say you don't believe in something, or even that you disagree with it, without expressing contempt for it. That feels obvious to me, but I grant it's a concept many seem to have extraordinary difficulty understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think all religion is evil, catholics more than most. Why?
This isn't simply not being Catholic or disagreeing on certain points. It's deriding large swaths of people. I don't think this way of atheists, Hindus, or even Neo-Pagans really.

Religion is a word that describes a very diverse variety of notions and ways of living. To think all religion is evil is lazy overgeneralized thinking. Further if you feel this way about "Catholic more than most" than saying "Man this place is Anti-Catholic" shouldn't have even bothered you. It might be like someone saying a place is Anti-Fascist from your perspective.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJR View Post
No. Basically I try not to be that sensitive, but things that would be insulting of any culture is offensive when directed at my own too. I think that's perfectly fair. If the Dalai Lama resigned and the first statement was "I say goodbye and good riddance to a feudalistic, corrupt man who, when we look at him, should remind us of Richard III with goofy clothing" (Altered it a bit to better fit criticism I've of the Dalai Lama) I'd find that offensive too.

If he had said "I'm not Catholic so I don't care, but others might" that would be a statement of the Pope not influencing the individual and I'd have no problem with that. I likely wouldn't have even minded "The Pope resigned. I never agreed with him on anything I can recall, but it's historic and likely of interest to others."

It is actually possible to say you don't believe in something, or even that you disagree with it, without expressing contempt for it. That feels obvious to me, but I grant it's a concept many seem to have extraordinary difficulty understanding.

This isn't simply not being Catholic or disagreeing on certain points. It's deriding large swaths of people. I don't think this way of atheists, Hindus, or even Neo-Pagans really.

Religion is a word that describes a very diverse variety of notions and ways of living. To think all religion is evil is lazy overgeneralized thinking. Further if you feel this way about "Catholic more than most" than saying "Man this place is Anti-Catholic" shouldn't have even bothered you. It might be like someone saying a place is Anti-Fascist from your perspective.
Yet I do.
If you're willing to be part of such a corrupt organization, or believe in sky daddy's, I can feel derision.
And I can voice it.

/12-years of catholic school rant.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,182,149 times
I think the next one could appeal to a wider demographic if he would call himself Ringo.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 AM

16,745 posts, read 15,785,493 times
I have no opinion about the Pope. However, he DOES look a little like Jerry Sandusky. Even though that means absolutely nothing, it could make some funny jokes for some insensitive people.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,142,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
US will have unprecedented voice in electing new pope - World News
Not good since the majority of Catholics and the fastest growing groups of Catholics are not in the U.S. or Europe.

The odds maker's first choice, Ghana's Cardinal Peter Turkson. Can U.S. Catholic survie a black president and a black pope? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM

24,464 posts, read 23,166,711 times
Peter The Roman is something to look forward to. St. Malachai's predictions were on George Noori's Coast Coast AM last nite.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJR View Post
And I can voice disapproval of your immature and snide behavior.
Knock yourself out.
No more immature than trying to defend those who protect pedophiles.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,103,286 times
obviously this is merely an anti catholic bash topic and not about the pope---so as a practicing catholic i must be evil and those of other denominations will be the only ones that reach heaven or whatever their version of the afterlife is

as to the pope--on topic----wish the vatican would be totally forthcoming as to why the immediate resignation

Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
...snip...

as to the pope--on topic----wish the vatican would be totally forthcoming as to why the immediate resignation
Yeah, I've been mulling that too. It does seem to be hasty. I can't help but wonder if it's at all associated with that business with his valet/butler. Maybe the ripples from that have formed a tsunami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality