Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,646 times

Advertisements

This is a interesting article on the pope's decision to retire.

Resigning Pope No Longer Has Strength To Lead Church Backward | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
I'm happy for the Pope. He's probably had a job for what 60 - 65 years now? It's good that he's getting out of the rat-race when he can enjoy his retirement. Hopefully he's saved up a bit and won't be back greeting people at Wal*Mart or running cars for some car dealership somewhere.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is the defense you want to present? That other organizations do bad things too, so in comparison the RCC is not so bad?

What happened to the church being a special representation of god in this world? Are you saying that the representatives of the church are just as fallible as any other human being? That they hold no special knowledge or morality?

Even putting that aside, I will state that the RCC's violations are worse than most, and of a different kind. The entire organization is complicit in the sexual abuse scandal, to the level of shielding cardinals (Cardinal Law) from justice. The mafia worked similarly, taking care of its own with complete disregard for the well being of others.
No...that isn't my "defense"...the essence of my point is not in putting forth a "defense" of the organization, or the Pope.
Anyone that has read my posts for any length of time knows I see ALL people (including ALL in the RCC) as fallible human beings...and hold all organizations to an equal standard. With none viewed as greater or lesser than any other.
I'm neither Religious or Atheist...so I have no axe to grind.

The essence of my point is to shed light on the inconsistency, bias, and prejudice with which some on this board give compliments and levy criticisms.

Comparisons to the Pope with Jerry Sandusky...and the RCC with the Mafia. Yeah, Whatever!

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2013 at 05:28 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No...that isn't my "defense"...the essence of my point is not in putting forth a "defense" of the organization, or the Pope.
Anyone that has read my posts for any length of time knows I see ALL people (including ALL in the RCC) as fallible human beings...and hold all organizations to an equal standard. With none viewed as greater or lesser than any other.
I'm neither Religious or Atheist...so I have no axe to grind.

The essence of my point is to shed light on the inconsistency, bias, and prejudice with which some on this board give compliments and levy criticisms.

Comparisons to the Pope with Jerry Sandusky...and the RCC with the Mafia. Yeah, Whatever!

Moderator cut: Orphaned

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2013 at 05:29 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I say goodbye and good riddance to a cranky, corrupt man who, when we look at him, should remind us of Jerry Sandusky with bad clothing.

Pope Steps Down
Do you realize how low you put yourself when you take cheapshots at a person who has achieved what the Pope has? You have no basis for your little rant. You are just a powerless, spiteful person wasting our time.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Moderator cut: Off topic/Responding to orphaned part of post

The pope took over in the midst of a lot of controversy and turmoil. I will give him that and I cannot fault him for being promoted to CEO in the middle of all that. What I do fault is his lackadaisical response to unveiling, exposing, and attacking corruption within his organization. When the current pope took over, he could have and should have done precisely what any CEO with half a brain would have done: Take charge, root out every last scumbag from within the organization, cut them loose, get rid of them, and move forward without apology - except to those who'd been hurt. Yet, still, we're hearing about more coverups and more horrendous tales as a result of the ignorance and perpetual absurdities of this organization.

You argued earlier on that there was no objective proof of his evil. For probably over a year (maybe even two), my status message has read "Arrest the Pope and try him at the Hague" and I firmly stand by that conviction. I say the Hague because he is in fact a head of state but he should be arrested and he should be tried. He grew up in the Church. To say that he was ignorant of what was going on is ludicrous. The statements he's made show little remorse or guilt, it's almost a cognitive dissonance, as to what is and has been going on in his organization for decades. What I don't get is this:

The CEO of Netflix was excoriated for jacking the price of DVD rentals and streaming video up so much so that Netflix went through some pretty shaky times due to customer outrage and abandonment. Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JPMorgan Chase gambled away two billion dollars of money and faced the outrage of the public and Congress. Jeffrey Skilling is doing hard time at a golf course for his crimes in the collapse of Enron. The CEO of the Catholic Church? He's a good guy? He's not responsible for anything? He should wash his hands of any guilt because, why? Because he's head of a large charity?

Moderator cut: Orphaned. Portion of post you are referencing has been deleted/off topic to your OP.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2013 at 05:37 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I agree. But this is why....

Pope Benedict was the final Pope. Now the Catholics practice will pick a college of cardinals. A group of popes who will share papal duties.
what?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,361 times
why can't his stupid "church" step down too.. like a step off a cliff

Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 AM

55 posts, read 197,675 times
St Malacky back in 1139AD was visiting Rome and had a unusual vision which supposedly presented the names of all 111 Popes including Benedict XVI who has
resigned (86 and needs a break). Benedict will resided in a local monestary. The
112th Pope actually will be the last according to his vision albeit prophecy. As a
christian with a sideline interest in end-times I see this as a potential confirmation
that rapture is impending within 10 years let's say. The credibility of this vision
will undoubtedly come under scrutiny and I believe in some circles has already.
I will keep and open mind since I don't need additional prophecies to identify the
season that Jesus' church (believers) will be "caught up" I have enough, but St
Malachy bring it on brother in Christ!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJR View Post
Man this place is Anti-Catholic!

In a test on what kind of Catholic you are I came out as "Neo-traditional." Basically I accept Vatican II, but lean toward interpreting it in a way that is the least disruptive to what came before. Leery of the idea it created "a new church" or that the Church from Lateran Councils to Pius XII was basically bad. (Granted its leadership often did bad things in that era)

Still I will admit I didn't feel as warm to this Pope as the previous, but the previous was the Pope for pretty much my whole life previous. (I think John Paul II came in when I was one-to-two years old) That said I do think he felt a bit less comfortable with the public eye and I could see that he maybe came off too academic. I'm a little shocked by this though, but people live much longer now so maybe he didn't want to end up like John Paul II did near the end.
Why, because we don't want their influence in our lives?
They're wealthy, hate filled control freaks who want to control women and the world.
The organization is riddled with pedophiles and corruption, ah, yes, all in the name of their made up god thingie.

They deserve to lose all control in the world.
I think all religion is evil, catholics more than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I believe the OP needs to show a little more respect to those who see this man as a great leader. Suggesting that he is a "Pedophile" or "Jerry Sandusky" is disrespectful.

It's obvious that he's frail and in poor health, something none of us may see. I personally believe that he'll be done before summer comes. God Bless the Pope.
Why?

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-12-2013 at 02:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality