Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
why not none for xmas junk and twice as much for the needy?
B
So how much do you give to the needy? Seems to be your focus. I give plenty.

If you don't like Christmas don't celebrate it. (bah humbug, ya all)

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-21-2012 at 07:14 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I think you are having a reading comprehension problem, or you are quoting the wrong post.
Your reply makes no sense at all. Try rereading my post.
You don't want religion Expressed in public. What's not to understand?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,199,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
B
So how much do you give to the needy? Seems to be your focus. I give plenty.

If you don't like Christmas don't celebrate it. (bah humbug, ya all)
IF you are a Christian, and you celebrate the Birth of Christ, which is more in line with His teachings? Giving all you can to the needy or decorating the house and Christmas Tree?

If you are not a Christian, then why do you celebrate Christmas?

It's not a case of liking or disliking, it's about what the season has become. Certainly it is no longer a "Christian" centered holiday.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
Personally, I have no problem with Nativity scenes. If Christians want to set up displays of idols of their gods for worship, fine. On the other hand, leave the tree to me and mine.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Muslims have a holy month of Ramadan, in which they make sacrifices and deny themselves pleasures, reflect on what it is like to be needy, and donate what they would otherwise spend on their own pleasures.

I would have more respect for Christians if they had a season in which they thought more about other people's needs instead of just fattening up themselves.
So why are you saying that Christians don't give to the poor? Why the lie? You have an agenda? Shame on you!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,496,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Santa Clause is the main reason for Christmas. Along with Rudolf. No one cares about nativity idols except for religionist fanatics. One can maintain their stupidity freely in this country, but it is much better if it is continually pointed out to them and it is much better if their corrupt religionist hands are kept away from our money subsidizing their factionist graven images.
Gee! I always thought American Express,Visa,Master Card and Discover were the main reasons for Christmas.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM

88,650 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
The Muslims have a holy month of Ramadan, in which they make sacrifices and deny themselves pleasures, reflect on what it is like to be needy, and donate what they would otherwise spend on their own pleasures.

I would have more respect for Christians if they had a season in which they thought more about other people's needs instead of just fattening up themselves.
They do. It's called Lent.

And, as you already know without me telling, you, lots of Christians DO use Christmas for that purpose as well. Not enough, but lots.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,587,875 times
Quote:

We do have Lent occuring several times throughout the year, such as 40 days before Easter, and 10 days before Christmas. We avoid eating meat and dairy products.

Christians are the world's largest charity organizations. You must be kidding?!
Christians have created hospitals, schools, universities, calendars, nations, churches, and much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,942,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

Christians are the world's largest charity organizations. You must be kidding?!
Christians have created hospitals, schools, universities, calendars, nations, churches, and much more!
You have created churches true.
You have created schools and universities true, but these are simply vehicles for gathering more people into your churches.
You have created hospitals, but so have many other religions and many non-religious people.
You have created calendars, but... so what. Calendars were around long before Christianity - think about the Mayan Calendar and others. The only reason Ceasar's calendar is used today is because Rome happened to have a lot of power.

As for charities, much of what passes for charity within religions is self-serving and does not actually help the poor. I do not believe that the poor should have to listen to sermons to get food to eat or shelter. There are many atheist charities now and we are a small proportion of the population, but a very generous one. Note, too, that many atheists like me give to our local charities all during the year, not just during the holidays.

See Atheists Helping the Homeless in Austin, TX for example. They are now expanding to Dallas.

Austin Atheists Helping the Homeless Giveaway #41 - Aug. 12, 2012 - YouTube

A list of atheist charities - note that this is not a complete list.

Atheist Charities

Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,661,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You have created churches true.
You have created schools and universities true, but these are simply vehicles for gathering more people into your churches.
You have created hospitals, but so have many other religions and many non-religious people.
You have created calendars, but... so what. Calendars were around long before Christianity - think about the Mayan Calendar and others. The only reason Ceasar's calendar is used today is because Rome happened to have a lot of power.

As for charities, much of what passes for charity within religions is self-serving and does not actually help the poor. I do not believe that the poor should have to listen to sermons to get food to eat or shelter. There are many atheist charities now and we are a small proportion of the population, but a very generous one. Note, too, that many atheists like me give to our local charities all during the year, not just during the holidays.

See Atheists Helping the Homeless in Austin, TX for example. They are now expanding to Dallas.

Austin Atheists Helping the Homeless Giveaway #41 - Aug. 12, 2012 - YouTube

A list of atheist charities - note that this is not a complete list.

Atheist Charities
Here, check this out: Noozhawk.com Your News and Information Source
Some interesting information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.