Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM

87 posts, read 120,261 times

Advertisements

Link:Christianity goes global as world's largest religion – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Snippet:(CNN) - Christians are by far the largest religious group on the planet, and the religion has gone truly global over the past century, according to a new report out Monday, which finds some of the world's biggest Christian communities in surprising places.

Europe was the clear center of world Christianity one hundred years ago, but today the Americas are home to more than a third of all Christians. In fact, the United States has the world's largest Christian population, of more than 247 million, followed by Brazil and Mexico.

What do you think about this? Discuss!

Last edited by june 7th; 06-29-2012 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: Reformatted to adhere with city-data copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
I wonder how many are Christians in name only, but don't practice, attend, or really think about Christianity much at all. Many posters on this forum like to say when a Christian does something bad or leaves the faith, that "they never were True Christians in the first place". I wonder how many of the 2.2 billion would be called not True Christians by many Christian posters here. Then we also have whole denominations, such as Mormonism, that are called a cult, but some Christians are all too happy to count them as Christians if it boosts their global population numbers.

I think Christianity has spread as it has because it was the religion of the colonizing Europeans in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. If the Middle East had of been doing all of the colonizing in India and Africa and the Americas, we'd all be Muslim.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
It's purely a matter of numbers; doesn't mean a thing as far as one religion being "better" than another.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Who cares? What difference does it make? I'm still going to have my own beliefs regardless of what others think. I use this a lot - but I don't like mustard. Finding out that the majority of the people in the world like mustard isn't going to make me start liking mustard, too. I'm not religious. Finding out that the majority of people are Christian isn't going to make me change who I am.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-20-2011 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: orphaned response to banned member

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Over half of that number are Roman Catholics. Quite a few of the other denominations do not see RCC as Christians. I believe the numbers reflect more the growth of Catholicism than overall Christianity. Many of the countries with high percentage of Christianity (ie Mexico, Brazil, Spain) are nearly 100% Catholic.

Check HERE to see where the growth in Christianity is. the Vatican is on the move.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa Birhik View Post
I am Roman Catholic and I am Christian. I never heard anyone say that Catholics are not Christians

I heard about Mormons, but never about Catholics, Protestants and Eastern Orthodox
There are some hardcore protestant sects who will claim Catholics aren't Christian. This is mostly out of ignorance - they believe Catholics are polytheists who worship saints, among other things.

When I was last in Mexico, I actually met some people who had the opposite views - a friend of the family had a sister whose son married a protestant. The sister then changed from being a Catholic to a protestant.

But for the highly Catholic members of her family, it was like she was converting into another religion altogether. She might as well have become Jewish. They didn't ostracize her or anything, but they genuinely felt that "Christiano" was as unrelated as Judaism or Islam.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa Birhik View Post
I am Roman Catholic and I am Christian. I never heard anyone say that Catholics are not Christians

I heard about Mormons, but never about Catholics, Protestants and Eastern Orthodox
It's said about catholics.
I was raised catholic and attended catholic schools.
After Martin Luther and Jan Hus, many people did not look at catholics as c's.

Are you saying that because you never heard it that it doesn't happen?
Does that work for everything?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,835 times
Ask this question over on the Christianity forum, many there would say no.
Christian views on RCC that I googled:

Are Catholics Christian? 10 Biblical Proofs That they are Not (http://www.born-again-christian.info/catholics.htm - broken link)
10 proofs they are not Christian.

Are Roman Catholics Christian? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
Are Roman Catholics Christians? They are if they have trusted in Jesus alone for the forgiveness of their sins. However, if they believe that the are saved by God's grace and their works, then they are not saved

The Roman Catholic "Church" is Not Christian
The Roman Catholic "Church" is Not Christian

Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Well, Christianity is a thriving business. Now strip malls have churches instead of shops.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Over half of that number are Roman Catholics. Quite a few of the other denominations do not see RCC as Christians. I believe the numbers reflect more the growth of Catholicism than overall Christianity. Many of the countries with high percentage of Christianity (ie Mexico, Brazil, Spain) are nearly 100% Catholic.

Check HERE to see where the growth in Christianity is. the Vatican is on the move.
Very disingenuous, Wood . . . drawing irrelevant distinctions among Christians for whom Christ is their moral compass. I understand your personal focus on distinctions among Muslims . . . given your atypical beliefs. But such superficial distinctions in belief do not characterize a religion . . . they ALL believe in God (whatever name they use) . . . and there IS only one. The distinguishing characteristic of religions is their central figure. For Christians the central figure is Christ, period . . . for Muslims the central figure is Mohammed . . . for Jews the central figure is Moses, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality