Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,306 times

Advertisements

I don't know why, but I find the 7 Deadly Sins very interesting. I know I violate many of them on nearly a daily basis, even though I consider myself to be a moral upstanding person.

Do you think these hold more wisdom than the 10 Commandments? There is a little overlap, but they seem to discuss different things. Or how about the Buddhist's 5 Moral Precepts?

What other guides do we have to morality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times
I actually find the Seven Deadly Sins very interesting! I tried to get our asst. pastor to let us do them with the youth group. One sin each week. However, it was brought to his attention that this doctrine (if that's what you want to call it) was actually derived from the Catholic sect, therefore he wouldn't let us do it ...dumb, I know
I think each one of the seven deadly sins are very significant in today's society.

Gluttony
Lust
Wrath/Anger
Sloth
Greed
Pride
Envy

Thanks for the thread. I'm interested to see all the replies!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 AM

954 posts, read 813,097 times
What gives Christians the right to say that their 'morals' should be the yardstick for every other race or creed in the world?

"Don't do unto others as you would have them do unto you - they may not like it!"
Oscar Wilde.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:09 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,457,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I actually find the Seven Deadly Sins very interesting! I tried to get our asst. pastor to let us do them with the youth group. One sin each week. However, it was brought to his attention that this doctrine (if that's what you want to call it) was actually derived from the Catholic sect, therefore he wouldn't let us do it ...dumb, I know
I think each one of the seven deadly sins are very significant in today's society.

Gluttony
Lust
Wrath/Anger
Sloth
Greed
Pride
Envy

Thanks for the thread. I'm interested to see all the replies!

See, that's the kind of thing that I think bothers people and it is the same kind of treatment that atheists receive from the religious right in regards to science. I think that would have been a great study session for any group of people. However, because it was deemed "Catholic" it is all of a sudden something that shouldn't be lectured on. It might give the young buckos something else to think about. This sort of religious indoctrination is what is really scary to me. Essentially what that does is only steers children in one possible direction without giving them a chance to see what's entirely out there. And it doesn't have to be evolution we're talking about either. It goes for other religions too.

It appears to me that those who have so much faith are so scared to have people abandon them that they create a closed-minded educational process. In other words, if a child is told from day one that a dog is actually a cat and that no matter what anyone else says they should know in their hearts that this barking, slobbering, friendly thing that wags it's tail at them is a cat, than how hard would it be to convince this child at an older age that this "cat" is in fact a dog despite all of the overwhelming evidence? This is the same kind of thing we science followers see with the extreme religious groups. They indoctrinate the children from a very early age to be very cautious of anybody trying to sell something other than what they are being taught in church in order to maintain a steady following. This is then handed down generation after generation and people are never given the opportunity to see anything else because they have been essentially brainwashed with these ideas. An establishment that does not promote free thinking and clear decision making while promoting a very certain belief, is in my opinion, a cult.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
One difference that I see between the Ten Commandments is that In the commandments, five concern the relationship between the person and God and five concern the relationship between the person and others.

The Seven deadly sins ( with the possible exception of Wraith) are all directed at the person's own self and don't necessarily include God or others unless acted upon. (greed and envy)

Old 07-13-2007, 07:22 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
See, that's the kind of thing that I think bothers people and it is the same kind of treatment that atheists receive from the religious right in regards to science. I think that would have been a great study session for any group of people. However, because it was deemed "Catholic" it is all of a sudden something that shouldn't be lectured on. It might give the young buckos something else to think about. This sort of religious indoctrination is what is really scary to me. Essentially what that does is only steers children in one possible direction without giving them a chance to see what's entirely out there. And it doesn't have to be evolution we're talking about either. It goes for other religions too.

It appears to me that those who have so much faith are so scared to have people abandon them that they create a closed-minded educational process. In other words, if a child is told from day one that a dog is actually a cat and that no matter what anyone else says they should know in their hearts that this barking, slobbering, friendly thing that wags it's tail at them is a cat, than how hard would it be to convince this child at an older age that this "cat" is in fact a dog despite all of the overwhelming evidence? This is the same kind of thing we science followers see with the extreme religious groups. They indoctrinate the children from a very early age to be very cautious of anybody trying to sell something other than what they are being taught in church in order to maintain a steady following. This is then handed down generation after generation and people are never given the opportunity to see anything else because they have been essentially brainwashed with these ideas. An establishment that does not promote free thinking and clear decision making while promoting a very certain belief, is in my opinion, a cult.
I'm not sure kawg's pastor meant it quite that way GCSTroop, but I have no way of knowing definitively.

The reason I'll chime to his defense isn't so much because he said it was Catholic doctrine but rather every time this subject comes up, I sit here thinking 'Am I missing something in scripture? I've read the entire Bible, most of it multiple times and I've never seen this list of deadly sins.'

So it may not be that it's so much truly Catholic as it is maybe just extra-biblical.

The bible I read says sin is sin. It's all deadly. And it's all forgiven through Christ's sacrifice.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:34 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,171 times
Quote:
What gives Christians the right to say that their 'morals' should be the yardstick for every other race or creed in the world?
It can be viewed as not just a set of christian guidelines, it is also a pretty good set of standards on how to live a better life in this world.

Gluttony (lots of people die from being overweight and it's a dilemma)

Lust (people have gotten killed for this)

Wrath/Anger (who would you rather be around, a gentle person or an angry one)

Sloth (would you want someone like this in your office?)

Greed (too much of a good thing?)

Pride (do we really like people who are boastful?)

Envy (creates a person who is not fun to be around)

Better to try and avoid these things and live a better, longer life.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:35 AM

Default This is why I love CD Forums

Here's why I love CD. This thing makes me look and dig for info.

I decided I ought to find a little more info, and I'm glad I did.

Here's the link Seven deadly sins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here's an excerpt, please see bolded info below:

While there are seven of them, these sins are significantly different in outward appearance from the seven deadly sins list that arose later. The only sin which is clearly on both lists is Pride. "Hands that kill innocent people" could be taken to refer to Wrath. However, it is possible to imagine a case where one bad person killed another in a fit of anger, which would be an example of Wrath but not of killing an innocent; and similarly, cold blooded murder of an innocent would be one of the "hated things" without necessarily being an example of Wrath. Practices such as abortion, genocide, and euthanasia can be arguably covered under this umbrella of "hands that shed innocent blood."

The remaining five of the "deadly sins" do not have even this loose correspondence to the "hated things", even if it is easy to imagine how they might lead someone to acting in one of the ways described in Proverbs. As previously stated, there is no where in the Bible where the traditional "seven deadly sins" are located or listed, although they are all condemned in various parts, along with several others. These "deadly sins" are not necessarily worse than any others that are listed. The Bible makes it clear throughout its New Testament that it only takes ones sin, which is an act of disobeying God's law, to separate man from a perfect God, placing him in need of redemption and salvation from hell.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
It can be viewed as not just a set of christian guidelines, it is also a pretty good set of standards on how to live a better life in this world.

Gluttony (lots of people die from being overweight and it's a dilemma)

Lust (people have gotten killed for this)

Wrath/Anger (who would you rather be around, a gentle person or an angry one)

Sloth (would you want someone like this in your office?)

Greed (too much of a good thing?)

Pride (do we really like people who are boastful?)

Envy (creates a person who is not fun to be around)

Better to try and avoid these things and live a better, longer life.
Right, all these things are covered in scripture, but there's not a passage that specifically addresses the 'Seven Deadly Sins' like there is one that addresses 'The Ten Commandments'.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
Can't have this discussion without this:

seven deadly sins gilligan island - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality