Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,451,128 times

Advertisements

The Shanti Mantras or "Peace Mantras" are Hindu prayers for peace (Shanti) from the Vedas. Generally they are recited at the beginning and end of religious rituals and discourses.

Shanti Mantras are found in Upanishads, where they are invoked in the beginning of some topics of Upanishads. They are supposed to calm the mind of reciter and environment around him/her. Reciting them is also believed to be removing any obstacles for the task being started.

Shanti Mantras always end with three utterances of word "Shanti" which means "Peace". The Reason for uttering three times is for calming and removing obstacles in three realms which are:

"Physical" or Adhi-Bhautika,

"Divine" or Adhi-Daivika

and "Internal" or Adhyaatmika

According to the scriptures of Hinduism sources of obstacles and troubles are in these three realms.

Physical or Adhi-Bhautika realm can be source of troubles/obstacles coming from external world, such as from wild animals, people, natural calamities etc.

Divine or Adhi-Daivika realm can be source of troubles/obstacles coming from extra-sensory world of spirits, ghosts, deities, demigods/angels etc.

Internal or Adhyaatmika realm is source of troubles/obstacles arising out of ones own body and mind, such as pain, diseases, laziness, absent-mindedness etc.

These are called "Tapa-Traya" or three classes of troubles. When Shanti mantras are recited, obstacles from these realms are believed to be pacified.

Brihadaranyaka Upanishad and Ishavasya Upanishad

ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदम् पूर्णात् पूर्णमुदच्यते |

पूर्णस्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ||

ॐ शान्तिः, शान्तिः, शान्तिः ||

Oum poorNamadaH poorNamidam poorNaat poorNamudachyate,

poorNasya poorNamaadaaya poorNamevaavaSiShyate,

Oum SaantiH, SaantiH, SaantiH.

That is Absolute, This is Absolute, Absolute arises out of Absolute, If Absolute is taken away from Absolute, Absolute remains OM Peace, Peace, Peace.

Taittiriya Upanishad

ॐ शं नो मित्रः शं वरुणः । शं नो भवत्वर्यमा ।

शं न इन्द्रो ब्रिहस्पतिः । शं नो विष्णुरुरुक्रमः ।

नमो ब्रह्मणे । नमस्ते वायो । त्वमेव प्रत्यक्षं भ्रह्मासि ।

त्वामेव प्रत्यक्षम् ब्रह्म वदिष्यामि ।

ॠतं वदिष्यामि । सत्यं वदिष्यामि ।

तन्मामवतु । तद्वक्तारमवतु । अवतु माम् । अवतु वक्तारम् ।

ॐ शन्तिः शन्तिः शन्तिः ॥

Om sham no mitra sham varunah, sham no bhavatvaryamaa,

Sham na indro brihaspatih, sham no vishnururukramah,

Namo brahmane, namaste vaayo, tvameva pratyaksham brahmaasi,

Tvaameva pratyaksham brahma vadishyaami,

Rtam vadishyaami, satyam vadishyaami,

Tanmaamavatu, tadvaktaaramavatu, avatu maam, avatu vaktaaram,

Om shantih shantih shantih

OM may Mitra do good to us, may Varuna do good to us, may Aryama do good to us, may Indra do good to us, may Brihaspati do good to us, may Vishnu-who has vast coverage-do good to us, (I) Solute O Brahma!, solutes to you O Vayu!, Only you (Vayu) are the visible Brahman. I say Only you (Vayu) are the visible Brahman, I say rta ( divine law ), I say truth, may that (truth) protect me, may that (truth) protect teacher, may it protect me, may it protect teacher, OM Peace, Peace, Peace.

Taittiriya Upanishad, Katha Upanishad and Shvetashvatara Upanishad

ॐ सह नाववतु | सह नौ भुनक्तु |

सह वीर्यं करवावहै |

तेजस्विनावधीतमस्तु मा विद्विषावहै ||

ॐ शान्तिः, शान्तिः, शान्तिः ||

Om saha naav avatu, saha nau bhunaktu,

Saha veeryam karavaavahai,

Tejasvinaa avadheetam astu maa vidvishaavahai,

Om shaantih shaantih shaantih.

OM let both of us protect each other together, may both of us enjoy together, may both of us work together, let our study become radiant, let there be no hatred between us, OM Peace, Peace, Peace.

Kena Upanishad and Chandogya Upanishad

ॐ आप्यायन्तु ममाङ्गानि वाक्प्राणश्चक्षुः

श्रोत्रमथो बलमिन्द्रियाणि च सर्वाणि ।

सर्वम् ब्रह्मौपनिषदम् माऽहं ब्रह्म

निराकुर्यां मा मा ब्रह्म

निराकरोदनिराकरणमस्त्वनिराकरणम् मेऽस्तु ।

तदात्मनि निरते य उपनिषत्सु धर्मास्ते

मयि सन्तु ते मयि सन्तु ।

ॐ शन्तिः शन्तिः शन्तिः ॥

Om aapyaayantu mamaangaani vaak praanashchakshuh

Shrotramatho balamindriyaani cha sarvaani,

Sarvam brahmopanishadam maaham brahma

Niraakuryaam maa maa brahma niraakarod

Niraakaranamastva niraakaranam me astu,

Tadaatmani nirate ya upanishatsu dharmaaste

Mayi santu te mayi santu.

Om shantih, shantih, shantih!

OM may my organs, speech, Prana, eyes and ears be nourished and be well, so should be all (my) senses become strong. Upanishad says all this (world) is Brahman. I don't reject Brahman, may Brahma not reject me. Let there be no rejection, let there be no rejection at all in me, let me be concentrated on Self, all those ways of righteous living told in Upanishads be in me! Be in me, OM Peace, Peace, Peace.

Aitareya Upanishad

ॐ वाङ् मे मनसि प्रतिष्ठिता

मनो मे वाचि प्रतिष्ठित-मावीरावीर्म एधि ।

वेदस्य म आणिस्थः श्रुतं मे मा प्रहासीरनेनाधीतेनाहोरात्रान्

संदधाम्यृतम् वदिष्यामि सत्यं वदिष्यामि तन्मामवतु

तद्वक्तारमवत्ववतु मामवतु वक्तारमवतु वक्तारम् ।

ॐ शन्तिः, शन्तिः, शन्तिः

Om vaang me manasi pratishthitaa

Mano me vaachi pratishthitam

Aaveeraaveerma edhi,

Vedasya ma aanisthah

Shrutam me maa prahaaseer anenaadheetena

Ahoraatraan samdadhaam ritam vadishyaami

Satyam vadishyaami tanmaamavatu tadvaktaaramavatu

Avatu maam avatu vaktaaram avatu vaktaaram

OM let my speech be established in (my) mind, and (my) mind be established in my speech, let Brahman (Supreme Reality) reveal itself to me, may (I) be able to grasp the truths of the Vedas, let not what I have heard (studied) forsake me, let me spend both day and night in study, I say rta ( divine law ), I say truth, may that (truth) protect me, may that (truth) protect teacher, may it protect me, may it protect teacher, OM Peace, Peace, Peace.

Mundaka Upanishad, Mandukya Upanishad and Prashna Upanishad

ॐ भद्रं कर्णेभिः श्रुणुयाम देवाः ।

भद्रं पश्येमाक्षभिर्यजत्राः

स्थिरैरन्ङ्गैस्तुष्टुवागं सस्तनूभिः ।

व्यशेम देवहितम् यदायुः ।

स्वस्ति न इन्द्रो वृद्धश्रवाः ।

स्वस्ति नः पूषा विश्ववेदाः ।

स्वस्ति नस्तार्क्ष्यो अरिष्टनेमिः ।

स्वस्ति नो ब्रिहस्पतिर्दधातु.

ॐ शन्तिः शन्तिः शन्तिः ॥

Om bhadram karnebhih shrunuyaama devaah

Bhadram pashyemaakshabhiryajatraah

Sthirairangaistushtuvaamsastanoobhih

Vyashema devahitam yadaayuh

Swasti na indro vridhashravaah

Swasti nah pooshaa vishwavedaah

Swasti nastaarkshyo arishtanemih

Swasti no brihaspatir dadhaatu.

OM O gods! Let us hear good(auspicious) things from (our) ears, O worshipful ones! let us see good (auspicious) things from (our) eyes, let (my) organs and body be stable, healthy and strong, let us do what is pleasurable to gods in the life span alloted, may Indra(who is) extolled in the scriptures do good to us! may Pushan(who is) knower of world do good to us! may Taarkshya(who) destroys enemies do good to us! may Brihaspati give good to us! OM Peace, Peace, Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,793,569 times
Nice, thanks for sharing. What language are you using?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,451,128 times
it is Sanskrit, an ancient language considered divine, it is 100% perfect, there are no exceptions, so perfect that could be used as a programming language because there is no ambiguity.

This language was used in ancient India, invaluable spiritual information was written in this beautiful language like those mantrams

Old 03-14-2008, 03:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,793,569 times
That's pretty fascinating...

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality