Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 AM

82 posts, read 258,312 times

Advertisements

I've always considered the 7 deadly sins to be the ones that will lead one away from Jesus the most. Think about it, each of them have to do with being consumed by oneself. Lust, greed, envy, gluttony - all deal with pleasures of the flesh. Pride, envy - they deal with being full of oneself. I don't subscribe to the theory that one sin is worse than another, but I can see why these seven were chosen. If you are consumed with pleasuring yourself, or vanity of oneself - where's the room for God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
[quote=johnnyreb;3136245]I've always considered the 7 deadly sins to be the ones that will lead one away from Jesus the most. Think about it, each of them have to do with being consumed by oneself. Lust, greed, envy, gluttony - all deal with pleasures of the flesh. Pride, envy - they deal with being full of oneself. I don't subscribe to the theory that one sin is worse than another, but I can see why these seven were chosen. If you are consumed with pleasuring yourself, or vanity of oneself - where's the room for God?[/quote]

I believe that would fall under lust and pride,
( and maybe a with a sprinkling of gluttony )

Old 03-14-2008, 04:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I don't want to drift off of the topic but did any of you see the movie Seven? It was about these very sins and how a demented individual chose to punish those who had committed them. Pretty gory but it was actually a very good movie.
By the way, I don't think there's anyone alive who hasn't felt lust or envy. Gluttony is one that falls into a grey area because people like myself can eat like a horse and not gain weight while others have to watch everything they eat and many of them are overweight anyway so they're looked down upon by society and considered gluttons when it's really just a problem with their metabolism.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:57 PM

249 posts, read 532,125 times
Default The Law of Love.. Are any other moral principles necessary?

"The men who discovered for us the Law of Love were greater scientists than any of our modern scientists. Only our explorations have not gone far enough and so it is not possible for every one to see all its working. Such, at any rate, is the hallucination, if it is one, under which I am laboring. The more I work at this law the more I feel the delight in life, the delight in the scheme of this universe. It gives me a peace and a meaning of the mysteries of nature that I have no power to describe."
Gandhi
------------

This is the one ethic that all our wise men seem to agree with..

My own personal belief is.. why complicate things further.. when one simple rule.. alive in our hearts.. is enough.

For me this defines the very essense of religion.. (meaning to.. to re-link - re-connect - re-unite)

True relgion teaches self evident truths which we can all believe in.. because such truths can make a better place for us all to live in.. if only we all wanted it.. that is.

------------------------

"Love the world as your own self; then you can truly care for all things."
Lao Tzu

--------------
"When one cultivates to the utmost the principles of his nature, and exercises them on the principle of reciprocity, he is not far from the path. What you do not like when done to yourself, do not do to others."
Confucius

-------------
"There is especially the rule of doing to others what you would have others do to you, and refraining from doing to others what you would not have others do to you.

You will say to yourselves: "Here I am, fond of life and not wanting to die, fond of pleasure and averse to pain. If anyone should attempt to take my life from me, or inflict pain upon me, that would not be pleasing to me, and if I were to rob someone else of life, or inflict pain, that likewise would not be pleasing to him."
The Buddha

--------------
""All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean."
Jesus - Matthew 7:12

-------------
"For the entire Law stands fulfilled in one saying, namely: "You must love your neighbour as yourself." If, though, you keep on biting and devouring one another, look out that you do not get annihilated by one another."
Paul - Galatians 5:14
--------------

You must not take vengeance nor have a grudge against the sons of your people; and you must love your fellow as yourself."
Moses - Leviticus 19:18

------------
Even atheists believe this..:-)

An Atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist accepts that heaven is something for which we should work now -- here on earth -- for all men together to enjoy."

American Atheists

----------

"Surely we could love each other as we love ourselves...

That's the main thing, isn't it?

That's it, nothing else...

Absolutely nothing else is necessary...

Do that and the way forward is clear, isn't it?

Well.... isn't it?

Alright, so its nothing but an old truth, repeated, said billions of times; but why hasn't it taken root then?

If only we all wanted it!

Then everything could begin again."

Extract from "The Dream of the Ridiculous Man"- Fyodor-Dostoyevski

The Dream of the Ridiculous Man

Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't want to drift off of the topic but did any of you see the movie Seven? It was about these very sins and how a demented individual chose to punish those who had committed them. Pretty gory but it was actually a very good movie.
By the way, I don't think there's anyone alive who hasn't felt lust or envy. Gluttony is one that falls into a grey area because people like myself can eat like a horse and not gain weight while others have to watch everything they eat and many of them are overweight anyway so they're looked down upon by society and considered gluttons when it's really just a problem with their metabolism.
I agree, "seven" was a good movie ( albeit gory )

Although, I don't believe gluttony is defined by mere quantity.
For me, it has more to do with a lack of gratitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality