Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 03:18 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times

Advertisements

Hello Maryland,
I am not afraid of dog slobber or dog germs or crotch butts, but I do agree pets should be isolated while service people are in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 03:54 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,920,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
So we've established two things: Some dog owners are stupidly rude and the OP is highly unethical.

I think the behavior of the OP is much, much worse than that of the dog owners.
I am not acquainted with anyone who would smile sweetly while their dog rudely slobbers and sniffs without the person saying it is ok.

I raised my children with manners. My dogs have manners. My horses have manners. I do my best to avoid places where unruly freedom prevails. If you think it is cute to let your dog fawn all over someone without their permission, good on you, I am proud for ya, thank goodness we will never meet

Old 11-17-2015, 04:24 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,062,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Well, I mentioned before, some people take offense at the very notion of being asked to put their dogs away. Advertising that off the bat is asking to be labeled a dog hating business by certain types of people. I realize not everyone is in a service business for themselves so they aren't as aware of what people are like these days with the online reviews as those of us who are in that line of work are aware, but it's rough out there now. It takes almost nothing for some random person to smear you online. People get offended at the littlest thing, and I won't risk that.
I understand what you're saying, and it truly makes sense.

I'm confused by pet owners who believe everyone else also loves their pet and wants to be around them - it's almost as if they're taking it personally if they don't.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
Fastest way to a dog's heart? Bring some treats in your pocket. My FedEx guy does this and the neighborhood dogs LOVE him. He said he's been bitten far fewer times since he started carrying treats. Our puggle LOVES Mr. Fedex. Mr. FedEx also likes him. He has to give him pets when he sees him. The others just yap away like loons.

Seriously, if you don't like dogs or cats, it might be time to look for a job where you don't go to people's homes. They not going to change for you.

Last edited by ss20ts; 11-17-2015 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 08:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,162 times
Going to assume, OP, that you do not charge by the hour--I imagine that people would care a whole lot more about wasted time playing with the dog when you charge $100/hr to fix something (which is common in my industry).

I like dogs too, but you're there to work and you're getting paid to work. Sure, it's in someone else's house, but they're the ones who called you. They want the service you provide, or so you'd think. Honestly if I didn't know some totally irresponsible dog owners myself, I'd almost not believe people would behave that way. Hell, I wouldn't even expect friends to let the dog smell them when they came by, cause the dog isn't who they're there to see.

Poorly raised animals are a huge pet peeve of mine, too. So I'm with you on this.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,435,704 times
[quote=ss20ts;41975569]He said he's been bitten far fewer times[quote]

This right here is reason #1 why people should put their dogs away. It doesn't matter if you are 100% sure your dog is not going to bite. It doesn't matter if your dog only weighs 10 pounds. Someone is there to do their job, they may have had bad experiences in the past (with dogs whose owners said, "Oh, he won't bite!"), and they shouldn't have to wonder or worry about it. If someone likes dogs, and wants to meet your dogs, they can always tell you to let them out.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:49 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Fastest way to a dog's heart? Bring some treats in your pocket. My FedEx guy does this and the neighborhood dogs LOVE him. He said he's been bitten far fewer times since he started carrying treats. Our puggle LOVES Mr. Fedex. Mr. FedEx also likes him. He has to give him pets when he sees him. The others just yap away like loons.

Seriously, if you don't like dogs or cats, it might be time to look for a job where you don't go to people's homes. They not going to change for you.
You should realize you are asking for a service and it is your responsibility as a pet owner to control your animals. If your 'puggles' bites a service person on call at your house- you are 100% legally liable for that incident. No ifs, ands or buts about it. YOU are liable.

Some pet owners should really think about that. The common courtesy is to NOT have your pets or animals roaming free when a stranger comes to your door to work for you. It's really that simple. Maybe if YOU don't like that- learn to fix your own stuff.

If I was a Fed X guy and I got bit ONCE- I'd more than likely press charges. I don't take very kindly to dogs that show aggression towards humans, nor do I take very kindly to pet owners that think they need not concern themselves with other people with regards to their animals.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 PM

794 posts, read 819,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Perfect post that illustrates the problem with certain dog owners.

Your post speaks for itself. I need add no commentary.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
[quote=subject2change;41975867][quote=ss20ts;41975569]He said he's been bitten far fewer times
Quote:

This right here is reason #1 why people should put their dogs away. It doesn't matter if you are 100% sure your dog is not going to bite. It doesn't matter if your dog only weighs 10 pounds. Someone is there to do their job, they may have had bad experiences in the past (with dogs whose owners said, "Oh, he won't bite!"), and they shouldn't have to wonder or worry about it. If someone likes dogs, and wants to meet your dogs, they can always tell you to let them out.
Except most people don't know when Mr. FedEx or Mr. UPS will be at their house. I get packages and don't even know they're coming! Once in awhile I have to sign for something. Mr. Fedex noticed my puggle at the door and wanted to meet him. He has 2 puggles himself and loves them.

He IS a dog person. He also knows delivery people get bit. They're going into a dog's territory and it happens. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it does happen. So dogs are trained to protect their home. Some are just terrified. Some are territorial......others are just nuts.

When the meter reader comes, we don't lock our dogs up. We have zero idea when they are coming - no day, no time, no nothing. They are in and they are out. By the time the dogs even notice, the meter reader is next door.

It's very rare to have a service worker at our house. Our dogs have not been a problem. We live in an area that is incredibly dog friendly. We have dog parks, as many dogs as people at our lake park, restaurants that have dog water bowls outside, restaurants that let you have a meal outside with your dog, stores that allow dogs to shop with you. It's not like that everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You should realize you are asking for a service and it is your responsibility as a pet owner to control your animals. If your 'puggles' bites a service person on call at your house- you are 100% legally liable for that incident. No ifs, ands or buts about it. YOU are liable.

Some pet owners should really think about that. The common courtesy is to NOT have your pets or animals roaming free when a stranger comes to your door to work for you. It's really that simple. Maybe if YOU don't like that- learn to fix your own stuff.

If I was a Fed X guy and I got bit ONCE- I'd more than likely press charges. I don't take very kindly to dogs that show aggression towards humans, nor do I take very kindly to pet owners that think they need not concern themselves with other people with regards to their animals.
FYI it's puggle like I said. I only have 1 puggle not puggles which is multiple. Did I ever say I wouldn't be responsible if one of my dogs bit someone? Nope I did not. I have additional insurance with my homeowner's insurance because I have dogs.

Delivery people such as Fedex, UPS, and USPS know there's a risk of being bitten by a dog when delivering. Some carry sprays because of this. How do you press charges? It's up to the DA to press charges. You can sue, but there's only so much you can get. And it's not going to look good for you at work if you sue every house that has a dog. Sounds like you don't like dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Perfect post that illustrates the problem with certain dog owners.

Your post speaks for itself. I need add no commentary.
You're the one who came on here attacking dog owners. Why not cat owners? If you were allergic, would you have a rant? One of our cats is far more apt to bite you than our dogs. That cat is a nutjob!

What exactly do you do for service work? Cable has been here without any problems and didn't mind the dogs out. I've had appliances delivered and the dogs were out. Of course, my dogs won't be crated if I'm given one of those famous 9am - 5pm windows. Sorry they're not sitting in a crate all day while we wait for you. If you have a problem, just ask the homeowners to pt their dogs in a crate or a closed off room. If you can't do that, then you should think long and hard about this business adventure of yours.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:08 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts
FYI it's puggle like I said. I only have 1 puggle not puggles which is multiple. Did I ever say I wouldn't be responsible if one of my dogs bit someone? Nope I did not. I have additional insurance with my homeowner's insurance because I have dogs.

Delivery people such as Fedex, UPS, and USPS know there's a risk of being bitten by a dog when delivering. Some carry sprays because of this. How do you press charges? It's up to the DA to press charges. You can sue, but there's only so much you can get. And it's not going to look good for you at work if you sue every house that has a dog. Sounds like you don't like dogs.
So just because you have extra insurance you'd be okay if pugly bit someone because you don't feel it necessary to restrain your animal when a workman comes over.... After all it is your house? Greeeaaaat...

And btw- no DA needed. If I get bit, I call the cops, they write the report, they send it to animal control. If I go to the hospital because your dog bites I take you to civil court for liability. That is not the DA's domain.. They are involved in criminal cases, not negligence.

You might want to bone up on that. Oh and check with your insurance company if they'll cover your claim if you knowingly let pugle run about when YOU called a service man.

You are illustrating the classic 'irresponsible pet owner of the year' here, just an fyi...

Last edited by Threerun; 11-17-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets