Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:48 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,381,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I put my dogs away. It's called not being a dick.
My friend was just out of reconstructive breast surgery and big, happy, excited Labradoodle just had to jump right up....right between the breasts. Bang. She's been bruised for two months and I'm wondering if it's affected the reconstruction, more difficult as per my friend isn't young.

Why do they have to sniff/plant their teeth right next to my crotch?

And in both cases they are on OUR PROPERTY unleashed, not their own. Assume on their own it's behaviour would be a lot worse.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 11-19-2015 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: add idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:56 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,172,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
It's alright though. I'm not worried about it. I always say "my ego is small but I still don't give a sh--". Even though it's pretty clear they had selective reading, it's no big deal since this whole thread appears to have been one big misunderstanding anyway.
Why do you think that? I think most people here understand the point quite well, although you seem to be having some trouble with it.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,808,522 times
Quote:
It's alright though. I'm not worried about it. I always say "my ego is small but I still don't give a sh--". Even though it's pretty clear they had selective reading, it's no big deal since this whole thread appears to have been one big misunderstanding anyway.
Animals should be put away when someone comes into your house to perform a service. What's there to misunderstand?

Old 11-19-2015, 12:22 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Animals should be put away when someone comes into your house to perform a service. What's there to misunderstand?
The misunderstanding was that it seemed like all dog owners should lock up their dog no matter what. As I said in a prior post, the staff here are cool with my dogs. Even at those moments that we think they're in the way, the maintenance people assure us they are not.
I did not know that it was because of the kind of people that let their dog bite someone until the OP explained it to me.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-19-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 12:44 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,172,683 times
Quote:
The misunderstanding was that it seemed like all dog owners should lock up their dog no matter what. As I said in a prior post, the staff here are cool with my dogs. Even at those moments that we think they're in the way, the maintenance people assure us they are not.
I did not know that it was because of the kind of people that let their dog bite someone until the OP explained it to me.
No, that's not the point, it's not just about dogs that might bite. The point is that all dog owners (cat owners, parents of small children, etc) should understand that the service person is there to perform a job, not to be distracted by pets, kids, whatever. Therefore if you have animals you should make sure they don't interact with the person there to do a job, even if that means putting them in a crate or in another room if necessary.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,895,282 times
I (usually) have my dogs put away when service is being preformed. Most workers appreciate that. Some will ask if I would let the dogs out so they can pet them. I usually decline. I had a foster dog bite a plumber once. Eek. It's easier for me and the worker not to have the dogs underfoot or have to worry about leaving to door ajar and so on.

But it isn't always the case. Sometimes they come at an unannounced time and I answer the door prior to putting my dogs away. But I dont let my dogs sniff them, because it is a little rude. I don't know of the person likes dogs. Then I put my dogs away. But in that case, they might get a quick sniff or a dog getting close to them in the time it takes for them to come in and me to crate the dogs. Sorry. I won't lose sleep over it.

Another time it's a little tricky is when you are having construction done on your house for an extended period of time. It's hard to crate a dog all day for weeks on end. It's hard to know when the workers will randomly show up. Luckily, with our most recent project, the subs and gc all liked the dogs and seemed to understand there was a compromise involved. I would always correct the dog if they tried to sniff, but 9 out of 10 times the guy would say "oh it's ok, she is just smelling my dog". Usually after checking them out (sniffs or not) they would head back to their comfy spot to avoid the noise and chaos of construction.

As for licking. Nope. No way. I don't let my dogs lick me. I don't let them lick my kids. Not gonna let them lick you, even if you were like "pleaasssseeeee let your dog lick me" lol

Old 11-19-2015, 01:25 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,895,282 times
Shoe on the other foot, though. At our old house the meter reader had to come in our back yard. It was fenced in so our dogs would be out a lot. Several times these young men would skip knocking on the door and jump the fence. Then as my dogs ran up to investigate they would open an umbrella in the faces and swing it at them. I saw it with my own two eyes.

Thanks. Now my dogs are afraid of umbrellas. Seriously.

If they just knocked on the door, I didn't even have to open it. I saw their uniforms and shouted "I will let the dogs in" and that was that.

Luckily over the years, and a few complaints from me and likely others, they seemed to stop the umbrella method and switched to knocking on doors.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, that's not the point, it's not just about dogs that might bite. The point is that all dog owners (cat owners, parents of small children, etc) should understand that the service person is there to perform a job, not to be distracted by pets, kids, whatever. Therefore if you have animals you should make sure they don't interact with the person there to do a job, even if that means putting them in a crate or in another room if necessary.
Maybe not JUST about biting but if the dog's presence would produce a significant consequence (i.e if the person has an allergy or they're fixing something where it would be dangerous for the dog to be around). In the end that's what it's really about...safety but it's not always going to be unsafe to leave your dog out. It just depends I guess.

I used to be a lot less tolerant/patient with my dog. Of course I never beat him because I'm not that type of person but he surely would make me want to rip my hair out. Admittedly he sometimes still does but the maintenance people don't care so why should I? The dog's mere presence is not going to affect their job.

But as I say I live in an apartment so maybe that helps. I am also often right there with him when they do their job.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-19-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 PM

159 posts, read 169,234 times
I would always put my dog's away if a service guy had to come in the house.
I have had friends that are uncomfortable with large dogs so I crate them in bedrooms. No big deal.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:01 PM

37,639 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
No, I am not going to find a new career. That's as dumb as me saying "buy a new appliance as no service provider is going to accept drools and nut taps".

The customer called me for help, I did not ask to come over to their home for social time. By your logic, should I also expect the customer to do everything else they'd do in their home while I am there? Walk around in their underwear? Beat their kids? Is there no line at all just because "it's their home"? Of course not.

Be realistic please, it's not much I am asking for and it may even save you a few bucks.
I completely agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets