Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:53 AM

318 posts, read 372,707 times

Advertisements

Hm, I just assumed that when you are paying for in home service keeping away overly interested little kids and pets was very basic common courtesy. Even the friends I had whose children or animals would normally be all over me before my second foot was in the house if I visited, had them already distracted playing in a room out of our way when I would show up for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:08 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post

I will let you in on the fact that your insistence that I get drooled on and nut tapped often costs you money. I am very good at playing along like nothing is wrong, but inside I am pissed and I often take it out on you by finding extra ways to charge you. Sometimes by a whole lot.
This made me chuckle.

I've been in work situations where I have been treated quite poorly by customers and clients. It's amazing how their issues somehow found their way close to the bottom of the stack. They were none the wiser, as their work was done in a timely fashion. But, imagine how much quicker it would have been done had they extended simple courtesy to me.

Courtesy is like chicken soup. It couldn't hurt.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:31 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you voluntarily go into someone's home because you said yes to their request for a service to be provided.
Humans don't care about anyone other than themselves and your whining on a public forum has so far accomplished what so far? Nothing and it will accomplish nothing because no one is going to change how they treat their animals when a service person is there. Accept that fact because for some there is no line because it is their home, whether you think their actions are appropriate or not.

Obviously you being a service provider does "accept drools and nut taps" because you continue to be a service provider. If you did not accept this behavior you would not be doing this job.

You are the one who is not being realistic.
I couldn't disagree more.

When ANY service worker comes into my home, my "normal routine" (including my dog roaming free in the house) must be suspended. Using your logic, if a carpet installer showed up at 9 a.m., but that is when I normally do my Pilates on the floor, the installer would just have to work around me!! Or if the TruGreen guy came to spray herbicides on my lawn at the same time I was planning to cut my grass, well, too bad for him, he's going to get blasted with grass clippings.

If I want a service worker to do the best possible job, (and in the quickest amount of time if I am paying an hourly rate), I will do everything possible to accommodate him and make his job easier. Putting my dog in a closed room is a very small, simple, but helpful thing I can do.

You sound like someone who, to quote your post, doesn't "care about anyone other than themselves."

Old 11-17-2015, 10:33 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
My plea to dog owners.

Thanks.
The don't post here and instead, tell your clients "This is the way it is to be"

Let your customers decide.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 AM

805 posts, read 1,558,638 times
I agree with the OP. My dogs sit and stay while the person enters, then they usually take off and go do something else.
I am a dog person, but I don't expect others to be.
The other issue here is safety, NO dog is 100% predictable, and a dog can be triggered to be aggressive even if the dog has never been aggressive. A dog might bite or attack the service person, and that is a horrible thing to allow to happen.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:48 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
While I agree with the OPs plea I think he is wimping out by simply not asking "Could you put your dog away?" Being passive aggressive and charging more is just adding stress to his life and simply being a poor professional.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:53 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
Sorry, but if a service provider freaks out because my friendly dog sniffs him/her upon the service provider's entry into my home, I am not going to want the service provider to return.

Of course I will restrain my friendly dog from bothering the service provider while the service provider is working. But when he or she first comes into my home, or is leaving it (the task being done), and is horrified by being sniffed or licked by my 26-lb. dog, I will make arrangements to have a more dog-friendly, or at least dog-tolerant individual perform the service. I usually do, when I request a service (cable, repair/maintenance people, housekeepers, etc.) mention that I have a friendly dog on-site. I would be happy to offer handi-wipes if the service provider requests them; though it hasn't happened yet; my service providers have not been offended by my dog's friendliness or curiosity, they seem to genuinely like him.

I'm paying the service provider to perform one or more tasks. I do make sure my dog does not interfere with the performance of the task(s). I would really prefer that service providers do not display offense at the normal behavior of my friendly dog when the service provider is in my home. If my only alternative, for the successful completion of the necessary tasks, is to put up with a service provider's discomfort and disapproval with my dog's behavior, then I suppose I would try to crate my dog the entire time (he would start to bark after about a half-hour, or earlier, he's not good at being separated from me). But a person coming into my home, being paid by me, showing obvious nervousness or dislike of my dog would really grate on my nerves and I would try to find someone else.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:17 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Some people aren't as easygoing. One of the maintenance guys LOVES dogs so he always pets my dog (or dogs) talking sweet to him when he jumps up on him before he goes to fix whatever's broken. In fact I think he loves my dog more than I do I guess that's why I used to have a crush on him so that's the only problem I have since that makes me feel a bit awkward around him.
The other maintenance guy..not as into the dogs but is okay with them if they happen to run out of the hallway.

I suppose it could vary from each dog but if you're bothered by all of them, this may not be the career for you unfortunately. Being a service person you have to expect that sometimes dogs have a mind of their own (I would think someone who loves dogs would know that?) and you can't always lock them up especially if you live in an apartment like I do which is cool because most of the people who run the place are decent..at least to me. I can hold one of my dogs but not both of them. If the client themselves is paying you unlike with living in an apartment, you almost have to be more tolerant. Maybe on the one hand it's easier to lock them up in a house but if they're paying YOU why should they have to go through great lengths to please you?

It's cool you know no big deal to me if anything it makes me grateful to live in the apartment that I do but I think it's so funny when people complain about their jobs. Do you even know how lucky you are? Try being unemployed for as long as I have..it ain't fun and that's putting it very mildly. Of course many people here I'm sure can see that by my tiring but relevant replies

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-17-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 11:22 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
What's so difficult about putting a dog (or other animal) in another room or out of the way when someone comes to the door?

That one would offer someone coming into their home to do a job a "handi wipe" because they didn't have the courtesy to put their dog away in the first place is just laughable.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:26 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
I will let you in on the fact that your insistence that I get drooled on and nut tapped often costs you money. I am very good at playing along like nothing is wrong, but inside I am pissed and I often take it out on you by finding extra ways to charge you. Sometimes by a whole lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
It is stupidly rude to think the professional person coming to your home to make needed repairs, wants to be licked to death and sniffed in the butt by somebody's Poopsie....
So we've established two things: Some dog owners are stupidly rude and the OP is highly unethical.

I think the behavior of the OP is much, much worse than that of the dog owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets