Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Hi Redbird and thank you. You mentioned you don't have the views that we do in Alaska, however, I have found that every State has its own unique beauty. The ceremonials would be of great interest to me. I was born and raised in Ohio and every summer my niece and I would go to the Pow Wows/ there were usually 2 every year. I loved the costumes, the dancing, and the entire atmosphere. BTW I love frybread. . Yes, I do hope to definitely visit Oklahoma one day.
Here you go, Alaskapat, this one's for you. We start 'em young.

Native Oklahoman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,252 times
I love all the pictures. I've seen the Indian perfume flower but did not know the name of it. LadyRobyn, especially enjoy your road trips around Oklahoma they are the next best thing to being there.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Here you go, Alaskapat, this one's for you. We start 'em young.

Native Oklahoman
Thank you. She is an absolute doll and the costume is so pretty.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:55 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
............the costume is so pretty.
Please excuse me in advance, and while I don't mean to be picky, I am a little sensitive on this point.......and I know you didn't mean any offense, but..........

It isn't a costume. A costume is something you wear when you are pretending to be something you aren't. I may dress up like Dracula on Halloween, my kids could dress up as princesses or as Spiderman. None of us are those things, but we wear the costume and pretend to be that thing for the evening. The Village People wore costumes..............on some of the reservations you get white people dressed up in buckskin jackets with fringes and Pueblo braids.......those are costumes and are looked at with humor and annoyed tolerance.......but they too are pretending to be something they aren't.

The young lady in the picture IS Native American. She is dressed in traditional attire for her people....perhaps with some embellishments as I doubt all the materials she is wearing were available 300 years ago, but she is NOT pretending to be something she isn't........it is NOT a costume.

And yes, she is a doll.......absolutely gorgeous.......

Old 08-16-2009, 10:05 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
She is Kiowa and Cherokee. Here is her cousin.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Please excuse me in advance, and while I don't mean to be picky, I am a little sensitive on this point.......and I know you didn't mean any offense, but..........

It isn't a costume. A costume is something you wear when you are pretending to be something you aren't. I may dress up like Dracula on Halloween, my kids could dress up as princesses or as Spiderman. None of us are those things, but we wear the costume and pretend to be that thing for the evening. The Village People wore costumes..............on some of the reservations you get white people dressed up in buckskin jackets with fringes and Pueblo braids.......those are costumes and are looked at with humor and annoyed tolerance.......but they too are pretending to be something they aren't.

The young lady in the picture IS Native American. She is dressed in traditional attire for her people....perhaps with some embellishments as I doubt all the materials she is wearing were available 300 years ago, but she is NOT pretending to be something she isn't........it is NOT a costume.

No I did not mean to offend anyone. I have a very high regard for Native Americans and yes I can see the little girl IS Native American. Quess I never gave it a thought about using the word costumes (but you are right). My great grandfather was a full blooded Cherokee, but unfortunately I never got alot of exposure to his heritage. Wish I had though. Again, I never meant to offend anyone.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Very pretty girl and the colors in her attire are very striking. I apologize for using the word "costume" previously.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
She is a real beauty in her regalia , her parents should be very priud of her.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
No I did not mean to offend anyone..........
We know that and there is no need to feel bad about it. I just wanted to call your attention (and the attention of others who may be reading this thread) that there really is a difference between ethnic attire and costumes.

Just a point of personal observation (comes with being a curmudgeon)........I find women who apply lots of makeup and hair coloring and nail polish and push up bras and girdles more "costumed" than the young ladies in the photos......provided you accept "costume" as dressing and appearing as something other than yourself.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
And they are our future..........very very promising, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma