Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 10:31 AM

24 posts, read 28,350 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

In short: I am evaluating a job offer in Bartlesville. I am excited about this opportunity; however, it requires some major decision-making as I will need to move from eastern PA to OK. I am single in late 30s. (See other details below) What are some of the areas between (and including) Bartlesville and Tulsa would you recommend I check out? I am okay with 15-25min (one-way) commute. I am currently googling on Collinsville and Ossawa. Any apartment complexes you would recommend? Also, any thoughts on things to do non-work hours? How easy it is to make social connections (understood it partly depends on my personality)? OR would you caution against taking this opportunity to explore one of the subcultures of this country?

I will be visiting later this week. So, looking for driving through some of the neighborhoods to get some vibes to help with my decision making. I will be renting for first year. After that, once I have a better grasp of the local culture, I can figure out what locality works best for me.

I have moved and readily adjusted to different locations (GA, NJ, PA, KY) in the past. I have been in Lehigh Valley (Eastern PA) for past decade or so. (So, some roots have developed). I understand part of moving is coming out of my current comfort zone and embracing what the new locality has to offer. However, to help you help me, here are some my current comfort zone. I am used to easy access to ethnic restaurants (Syrian, Turkish, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, TexMex, American Italian, etc), ethnic grocery stores, and regular grocery store options (Aldi, Giant, Wegmans, and many more) within 20minute drive. Also, I like access to nature for hiking during Spring, Summer and Fall weather. My drive to work right now is unbeatable 2miles...haha! Besides trying different restaurants with vegan food options and hiking, I also have access to ice skating, multiple theaters (plays et al), multiple universities, yoga classes, art-craft classes, etc. I enjoy playing sports recreationally (softball, volleyball, tennis ...) - of course, not much in past two years. I don't have interests in sporting events. I don't mind museums once in a while to diversify. I also have access to two major airports (2 more if I dare cross the hudson river) along with a local international airport ... for international adventures. I am okay driving 25-30min one-way to/from work, if that gives me access to some of the diversity in recreation options. IF it matters, I am independent politically. I am not very religious. I am South-east Asian (Indian) by ethnicity.

[Edit: I can't tell what to make of this. It doesn't put Tulsa area in good light safety wise. I understand there are bad parts everywhere. As long as there are more good parts then bad parts. https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dang...-in-oklahoma/]

Thank you very much for any inputs you can provide.

-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 12:58 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
We have friends in Bartlettsville. Please let us know how your trip went.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Bartlesville is great for a starting point in deciding where to live, especially if you want to keep a short commute. Everything else that may be desirable is a longer drive than 15-25 miles from Bartlesville. Bartlesville is one of the most unusual towns in Oklahoma, while fortunately, not being in a state of decline, but not a crazy fast-growing suburb, either. There won't be much hiking to do other than in Tulsa on Turkey Mountain, which is just a bigger than usual hill. At least the suburbs have lower crime than Tulsa itself.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-26-2022 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-27-2022, 12:53 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin4work View Post
Hello all!

In short: I am evaluating a job offer in Bartlesville. I am excited about this opportunity; however, it requires some major decision-making as I will need to move from eastern PA to OK. I am single in late 30s. (See other details below) What are some of the areas between (and including) Bartlesville and Tulsa would you recommend I check out? I am okay with 15-25min (one-way) commute. I am currently googling on Collinsville and Ossawa. Any apartment complexes you would recommend? Also, any thoughts on things to do non-work hours? How easy it is to make social connections (understood it partly depends on my personality)? OR would you caution against taking this opportunity to explore one of the subcultures of this country?

I will be visiting later this week. So, looking for driving through some of the neighborhoods to get some vibes to help with my decision making. I will be renting for first year. After that, once I have a better grasp of the local culture, I can figure out what locality works best for me.

I have moved and readily adjusted to different locations (GA, NJ, PA, KY) in the past. I have been in Lehigh Valley (Eastern PA) for past decade or so. (So, some roots have developed). I understand part of moving is coming out of my current comfort zone and embracing what the new locality has to offer. However, to help you help me, here are some my current comfort zone. I am used to easy access to ethnic restaurants (Syrian, Turkish, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, TexMex, American Italian, etc), ethnic grocery stores, and regular grocery store options (Aldi, Giant, Wegmans, and many more) within 20minute drive. Also, I like access to nature for hiking during Spring, Summer and Fall weather. My drive to work right now is unbeatable 2miles...haha! Besides trying different restaurants with vegan food options and hiking, I also have access to ice skating, multiple theaters (plays et al), multiple universities, yoga classes, art-craft classes, etc. I enjoy playing sports recreationally (softball, volleyball, tennis ...) - of course, not much in past two years. I don't have interests in sporting events. I don't mind museums once in a while to diversify. I also have access to two major airports (2 more if I dare cross the hudson river) along with a local international airport ... for international adventures. I am okay driving 25-30min one-way to/from work, if that gives me access to some of the diversity in recreation options. IF it matters, I am independent politically. I am not very religious. I am South-east Asian (Indian) by ethnicity.

[Edit: I can't tell what to make of this. It doesn't put Tulsa area in good light safety wise. I understand there are bad parts everywhere. As long as there are more good parts then bad parts. https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dang...-in-oklahoma/]

Thank you very much for any inputs you can provide.

-J
You want people to respond to some stupid trolling website?

No.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:27 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Bartlesville is great for a starting point in deciding where to live, especially if you want to keep a short commute. Everything else that may be desirable is a longer drive than 15-25 miles from Bartlesville. Bartlesville is one of the most unusual towns in Oklahoma, while fortunately, not being in a state of decline, but not a crazy fast-growing suburb, either. There won't be much hiking to do other than in Tulsa on Turkey Mountain, which is just a bigger than usual hill. At least the suburbs have lower crime than Tulsa itself.
I agree with this from the perspective that for small city Oklahoma Bartlesville is a pretty good option. However, given the OPs description of his preferences it probably wouldn't pass muster. B'Ville is a family town with a larger educated workforce than most small Oklahoma cities that tend to be strictly blue collar agrarian. It has some amenities that other towns don't have due to being an oil corporate headquarters for so long.

For the OP's interests he is going to have to be in Tulsa a lot. And for the outdoor interests, Bartlesville is limited but within an hour and a half to three hours there are some nice spots in eastern Ok and Arkansas. B'ville does have that nice trail along the Caney River for walking/running/biking.

The northern Tulsa suburbs would be workable but I agree with Townie. Start in B'ville to limit your commute and then see what options are feasible from there.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We have friends in Bartlettsville. Please let us know how your trip went.

Thank you. I will keep posted. And could definitely use your connections to start my network.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:33 AM

@StillwaterTownie, @eddie gein

Appreciate this insight. I am also coming to the same conclusion. I was thinking if I will be driving 15min west from Bison Trails Apt to work, perhaps I can instead drive 15-30min from south and get closer towards Tulsa (or towards other recreational activities). There doesn't seem to be anything half-way between B'ville and Tulsa. So, I am better off driving 15min (one-way) everyday and then occasional 1-h trip to Tulsa for hiking/ethnic groceries/restaurants/etc. This will also allow me to explore northwards from B'ville.

I am definitely open to picking up new hobbies. (I didn't hike before I started living near hiking trails, e.g.). I figured I would give a sense of what my current lifestyle looks like. Ultimately, these hobbies allow me to meet people and learn from them.

What should I check out during my trip to B'ville? Any neighborhoods to seek out or avoid? Any local stores? Any recommendations for apartments? Bison Trails seems to be a decent one.

Thank you very much for your input and help so far.

-J

Old 02-27-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
You want people to respond to some stupid trolling website?

No.

I don't like to make my decisions/form my conclusions solely based on an internet article. I can understand your frustration. However, It is difficult for me sitting here 1400miles away to distinguish between credible, troll, or a mix of both. Hence, I am seeking the help from the locals.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:54 PM

@Threestep2 My trip went well. Overall, I like the location Bartlesville-Owasso-Tulsa area. And people here are amazingly friendly I am still anxious about forming connections. haha! I like the library too. The downtown is neat, but mostly dead after 6pm or so.

Before the trip, I was expecting Bartlesville to have similar food option as Enid OK. However, I was bit surprised to find that Bartlesville doesn't even have a Thai restaurant and the couple Chinese restaurants didn't seem to have any tofu options (I didn't look closely). I can always go to Tulsa for dine-out cravings.

Now, I am deciding between staying local in Bartlesville or commuting for Owasso.

In Bartlesville, any recommendation for apartments? Of several apartment complexes I visited, I have narrowed down to Bison Trails, Lexington Commons and Forest Creek Condos. Has anyone heard of Forest Creek Condo in Bartlesville? Seems like couple of owners there are looking to rent there.

The rent is surprisingly cheaper in Owasso and more than enough to cover the gas cost. And of course, better dining and grocery options and nearer to Tulsa. Just that 45min commute each way will probably sap out all the energy and the time to do anything with all the better access. The irony...haha!

Thanks for any guidance

Old 03-07-2022, 06:54 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
45 minutes X 2 X 5 X 50 is how many hours and brings your hourly salary to what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma