Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 07:24 PM

580 posts, read 304,337 times

Advertisements

I commuted 45 minutes each way most of my career. I found books on tape or an interesting XM radio station helped me wind down from work to a more relaxed mode. But an express bus worried better than a non traffic short commute of say 15 minutes. Ymmv.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 11:18 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I commuted 45 minutes each way most of my career. I found books on tape or an interesting XM radio station helped me wind down from work to a more relaxed mode. But an express bus worried better than a non traffic short commute of say 15 minutes. Ymmv.
I think one thing to consider here that is good regarding this is that the OP would be commuting against the flow going to B'Ville from points south so I don't think traffic would be bad at all for them.

Also John, I wanted to let you know that our mutual acquaintance Barry Joyner passed away about a year ago. Apparently COVID related. He was 62.

Old 03-09-2022, 02:38 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think one thing to consider here that is good regarding this is that the OP would be commuting against the flow going to B'Ville from points south so I don't think traffic would be bad at all for them.

Also John, I wanted to let you know that our mutual acquaintance Barry Joyner passed away about a year ago. Apparently COVID related. He was 62.
So sorry to hear about Barry. Truly a nice guy who is missed.

You sure have a broad life experience living out in far west Texas to all over Oklahoma etc. Such an asset to CD.

Old 03-12-2022, 04:21 PM

24 posts, read 28,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
45 minutes X 2 X 5 X 50 is how many hours and brings your hourly salary to what?

Yeah. and all the car wear-n-tear. and all the stress (even though it will be an easy drive). And then it takes away crucial time from cooking meals, which means more eating out. It has compounding impact.

Old 03-12-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post

Good point about having some time to break away from work by the time you are home. My current 10min commute feels bit short to do that.

For me, if I could do the commute in public transit, then I won't mind 45-60min commute. I can read without have to pay attention to the road, or watch some TV or catch some power nap in the morning (lol).

-J

Old 03-13-2022, 11:12 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin4work View Post
Good point about having some time to break away from work by the time you are home. My current 10min commute feels bit short to do that.

For me, if I could do the commute in public transit, then I won't mind 45-60min commute. I can read without have to pay attention to the road, or watch some TV or catch some power nap in the morning (lol).

-J
You will be hard pressed to find public transit to/from Bartletsville, OK.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:52 PM

11 posts, read 15,465 times
If you are moving to Bville, then you are probably being hired by either ConocoPhillips or P66. My advice would be to suck it up and choose someplace like Owasso, which is where I currently live, or Skiatook. Both will give you a 30–45-minute commute, but they will also give you much better access to Tulsa along with much more stable housing prices.

I say housing prices because prices in Bvill rise and fall based on whether CoP/P66 are hiring or laying people off. I say Tulsa because there is very little to do in Bville so you will end up driving the hour south to Tulsa if you want a nice dinner or to have a drink with friends. Bville does have a few restaurants but nothing I would consider all that great. The vast majority would be considered fast food.

Also, I worked for both CoP and P66 for over 10 years and my wife currently works for P66. CoP is by far the better company in regard to how it takes care of its people.

When CoP announced layoffs last year, they offered fairly generous severance packages and took volunteers. When P66 had layoffs, they caught people as they arrived at their desk, fired them with no severance, and had a line of cabs/ubers/lyfts waiting outside so no one had a reason to remain onsite afterwards. P66 also did it in small waves to avoid mandatory layoff announcements.

Unless they are just paying you an insane amount of money, I personally would say no to P66.

Last edited by jtoast; 03-13-2022 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-13-2022, 11:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
With gas now unusually highly priced at $3.69 with 10% ethanol where I live, it might be more desirable to live in Bartlesville to keep gas expense down.

I've always lived and worked in the small rural town I live in from being a devoted homebody. It's never been a suburban bedroom community, so many other people there can say the same. The lure of a higher paying job and many more things to do in a big metro never appealed all that much to me. It didn't appeal to my two brothers, either. Being an hour's drive away from Oklahoma City and Tulsa has always been cool enough to me.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:30 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoast View Post
If you are moving to Bville, then you are probably being hired by either ConocoPhillips or P66. My advice would be to suck it up and choose someplace like Owasso, which is where I currently live, or Skiatook. Both will give you a 30–45-minute commute, but they will also give you much better access to Tulsa along with much more stable housing prices.

I say housing prices because prices in Bvill rise and fall based on whether CoP/P66 are hiring or laying people off. I say Tulsa because there is very little to do in Bville so you will end up driving the hour south to Tulsa if you want a nice dinner or to have a drink with friends. Bville does have a few restaurants but nothing I would consider all that great. The vast majority would be considered fast food.

Also, I worked for both CoP and P66 for over 10 years and my wife currently works for P66. CoP is by far the better company in regard to how it takes care of its people.

When CoP announced layoffs last year, they offered fairly generous severance packages and took volunteers. When P66 had layoffs, they caught people as they arrived at their desk, fired them with no severance, and had a line of cabs/ubers/lyfts waiting outside so no one had a reason to remain onsite afterwards. P66 also did it in small waves to avoid mandatory layoff announcements.

Unless they are just paying you an insane amount of money, I personally would say no to P66.
OP is going to start in an apartment if they choose to live in B'Ville. Still think that is the best strategy starting out out. Then figure it out from there.

Your post includes some interesting stuff especially regarding the two companies. I only recently became aware that P66 had spun back off of CoP. Am noticing P66 branded pumps around now.

Old 03-18-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoast View Post

Thanks for lot of good info.

It is P66 and I decided to take a chance with them (fingers crossed). Definitely not getting paid insane amount of money; but it is a job I want.

Yeah, I agree regarding dining options in Bville. I had tough time finding a local place to eat for 3 meals...haha. Over the past two years, I have gotten into cooking meals and eating at home. My dining out freqencies have dropped to once a month (or less) from once a day. If I spend 1.5h on commute everyday, then cooking meals becomes difficult. I guess then I can take benefit of better options in Owasso. (I drove through a bit of Owasso and I liked it).

So, my bigger concern is finding friends. Typically, I have found that people already have a tight knit circles in smaller towns like Bville. On the other hand, I got a sense that due to CoP and P66 (and maybe, ABB?) there are some non-locals in Bville - relatively speaking. How is it meeting people in Owasso?

Bville has very limited "luxury" apartments in the market. So, depending on whether I find an apartment to rent, I might have to consider Owasso - whether I like it or not...haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma