Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 04:25 PM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Unfortunately it won't be the non mask wearer who learns the hard way, it may be someone doing the right thing. I don't see the fuss. People are making this about their rights. I get that to a degree, but it's such a small thing to wear one when you go into stores. It's not forever either, just until the coast is clear.

I agree. I am a Libertarian and believe strongly in civil liberties. But people should wear a mask. Too many people are acting like spoiled children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,202,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree. I am a Libertarian and believe strongly in civil liberties. But people should wear a mask. Too many people are acting like spoiled children.

Some people need to go out shopping for themselves but at the same time many get ill wearing their mask over their nose. I saw a video testing the lack of oxygen content by wearing a mask that compromised health. If I find the video I will happily link it here.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Some people need to go out shopping for themselves but at the same time many get ill wearing their mask over their nose. I saw a video testing the lack of oxygen content by wearing a mask that compromised health. If I find the video I will happily link it here.

I have heard those stories spread around. The medical people I respect and listen to say its total baloney. For me I put one on when I am in Walmart or another busy store. 10 minutes and its off. I am not wearing it all day long. Unless you work in one of those places and have to wear for 8 hours I don't think there could be any health issues with wearing it.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:05 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,547,140 times
My husband and I went to our local Walmart for the first time in about two and a half months to buy a big bill of groceries yesterday. We were wearing our masks as we always do when we go anywhere--which is not often as our traveling days have been greatly reduced since the end of January when I first noticed that something was going on in China.

Anyway, I was discouraged to see that less than 50% of the people in Walmart were wearing masks. There was very little social distancing going on, and we constantly yielded to other shoppers to keep a safe distance from them. Needless to say, we bought our groceries as quickly as we possibly could and got out of there. Hopefully, we won't have to go back for another couple of months. (There is another smaller store I quickly get in and out of for picking up milk and bread between grocery runs.)

Wear a mask, people!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
My husband and I went to our local Walmart for the first time in about two and a half months to buy a big bill of groceries yesterday. We were wearing our masks as we always do when we go anywhere--which is not often as our traveling days have been greatly reduced since the end of January when I first noticed that something was going on in China.

Anyway, I was discouraged to see that less than 50% of the people in Walmart were wearing masks. There was very little social distancing going on, and we constantly yielded to other shoppers to keep a safe distance from them. Needless to say, we bought our groceries as quickly as we possibly could and got out of there. Hopefully, we won't have to go back for another couple of months. (There is another smaller store I quickly get in and out of for picking up milk and bread between grocery runs.)

Wear a mask, people!
I'd say in Stillwater that barely a majority of people were wearing masks in the Perkins Rd. Wal-Mart. Stillwater has spiked from 22 to 339 cases, so no wonder more people would be wearing masks there than at the one in Duncan, since Duncan has only had 48 cases. I would venture to say that next week Stillwater City Council will vote to try again to make mask wear mandatory. Duncan probably hopes things won't spike. I don't see how mandatory mask wear goes against my freedom. What really goes against my freedom is being unable to go to my favorite businesses because the virus shut them down.

OSU will be requiring mask wear on campus, so Stillwater might as well do the same thing. But hopefully it won't see fit to go back to closing all but essential businesses. Let the businesses decide to close down and open back up when they see fit as they have been doing.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'd say in Stillwater that barely a majority of people were wearing masks in the Perkins Rd. Wal-Mart. Stillwater has spiked from 22 to 339 cases, so no wonder more people would be wearing masks there than at the one in Duncan, since Duncan has only had 48 cases. I would venture to say that next week Stillwater City Council will vote to try again to make mask wear mandatory. Duncan probably hopes things won't spike. I don't see how mandatory mask wear goes against my freedom. What really goes against my freedom is being unable to go to my favorite businesses because the virus shut them down.

OSU will be requiring mask wear on campus, so Stillwater might as well do the same thing. But hopefully it won't see fit to go back to closing all but essential businesses. Let the businesses decide to close down and open back up when they see fit as they have been doing.
Mask wearing seems to be going up in Cushing based on my Walmart visits. Cushing has jumped from 21 to 24 cases the past couple weeks. Still not too bad. But I am sure the news about Oklahoma having more cases should be getting peoples attention.

Yesterday was a big jump in cases in Oklahoma.

So any city or county can do a mandatory mask order in Oklahoma? Do any currently have one? I know Stillwater tried it but had to stop it. I agree that closing businesses again would be too much. Unless its one or two categories like bars or movie theaters. If the state pushed harder for people to wear masks it won't have to get to more shut downs. I live part of the year in Arizona and they waited until it was too far out of control to deal with it. Now its going to take a while to get things under control. I see Oklahoma now where Arizona was a month ago.

The time is now not when Oklahoma is the worst hotspot in the country.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:56 PM

861 new cases in Oklahoma today. A huge spike from the previous high day of 580.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/

Old 07-07-2020, 04:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,533,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have heard those stories spread around. The medical people I respect and listen to say its total baloney. For me I put one on when I am in Walmart or another busy store. 10 minutes and its off. I am not wearing it all day long. Unless you work in one of those places and have to wear for 8 hours I don't think there could be any health issues with wearing it.
As a medical person I'll chime in that you'd be right that it's baloney, but I'll just add that if someone's got a respiratory condition that's that terrible, well then it's an even worse idea to go around unprotected because they'd be in worse shape if they do catch the virus! I don't often hear people mention that. You can always wear one of those face shields if you really can't do the mask. If I had a condition that was so terrible that wearing a flimsy little mask was affecting me, well then I'd be terrified of catching a virus that can cause my lungs to fill with fluid.

I'm not from Oklahoma, but I came into the thread because I heard about the spike happening down there and was concerned and curious about how things were. I work on a COVID ward in my community and have personally witnessed enormous tragedy here. We didn't take it seriously enough to begin with, and there's a few here who still don't. I beg you not to repeat our mistakes, please keep each other safe.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
As a medical person I'll chime in that you'd be right that it's baloney, but I'll just add that if someone's got a respiratory condition that's that terrible, well then it's an even worse idea to go around unprotected because they'd be in worse shape if they do catch the virus!
Very good point.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 PM

Stillwater has a mask mandate. Is OKC not far behind?

https://www.news9.com/story/5f0a52de...te-is-underway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma