Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 08:04 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,202,665 times

Advertisements

I'm in NJ and I expect the cases here to rise as well as we're in the beginning stage of the stage 2 reopening.

In NYC over 60 plus percent contracted COVID staying home.

I met a woman who always wore a mask, guess what - she contracted COVID in March and made the recovery.

There's no winning against COVID which ever way my fellow CD brothers and sisters unless one feels they're at risk in which they could stay home if they want, but like the NYC example it's no guarantee of not contracting it still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 02:26 PM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I'm in NJ and I expect the cases here to rise as well as we're in the beginning stage of the stage 2 reopening.

In NYC over 60 plus percent contracted COVID staying home.

I met a woman who always wore a mask, guess what - she contracted COVID in March and made the recovery.

There's no winning against COVID which ever way my fellow CD brothers and sisters unless one feels they're at risk in which they could stay home if they want, but like the NYC example it's no guarantee of not contracting it still.

I read that also but you can't really catch it just staying home. You catch it from someone going to your home. Most likely family members who live there are are visiting the person or neighbors. And people tend to ignore social distancing and masks when they are around people they know. At least from what I have seen.

Masks are not 100%. The best ones are 95% and most people I see are not wearing the N95 ones. If everyone wore masks when out in public it would make a big difference. But most states are afraid to enforce that.

Stay safe in NJ!

Old 06-17-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I read that also but you can't really catch it just staying home. You catch it from someone going to your home. Most likely family members who live there are are visiting the person or neighbors. And people tend to ignore social distancing and masks when they are around people they know. At least from what I have seen.

Masks are not 100%. The best ones are 95% and most people I see are not wearing the N95 ones. If everyone wore masks when out in public it would make a big difference. But most states are afraid to enforce that.

Stay safe in NJ!

Plenty of doctors on YT say that masks weaken the immune system as well as staying home.
If you're going by Fauci, he IMO is a fraud to an extent as he is beholden to anti-American organizations and Trump.

I know that my allergies were at least 10x worse when I wore one including covering my nose and was very sick till 1.5 weeks ago when I started to wear my mask just over my mouth - no coincidence in my case.
We do have to wear them in stores in NJ. I'm outside of Philly in NJ and the cases in this part of NJ to date are "a blip" compared to the northern half. But all of the COVID NJ numbers are way down compared to some other states.

Y'all stay safe in Oklahoma - this will pass!

Old 06-17-2020, 06:06 PM

What strikes me is all the research into communicable diseases over the past century. Including studying the past pandemics that we have had. And yet there is still so much we do not know. You would think mask or no mask would have been studied enough to know if it really is necessary. Yet there is so much conflicting information. Sometimes by the same people over time like Fauci or the WHO.

I think the masks may cause some problems. I do believe that if everyone wore one all the time out of the house the amount of covid-19 cases would drop all over. Here in Oklahoma very few places require them if you are a customer. There is one thrift store in my small town that has special needs people helping in the store that does require them. But that is the only place I am aware of. When I am here or in OKC about half the people wear masks.

Yes this will pass. But it sure can't happen fast enough!

Old 06-18-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
What strikes me is all the research into communicable diseases over the past century. Including studying the past pandemics that we have had. And yet there is still so much we do not know. You would think mask or no mask would have been studied enough to know if it really is necessary. Yet there is so much conflicting information. Sometimes by the same people over time like Fauci or the WHO.

I think the masks may cause some problems. I do believe that if everyone wore one all the time out of the house the amount of covid-19 cases would drop all over. Here in Oklahoma very few places require them if you are a customer. There is one thrift store in my small town that has special needs people helping in the store that does require them. But that is the only place I am aware of. When I am here or in OKC about half the people wear masks.

Yes this will pass. But it sure can't happen fast enough!

I "might" be driving from NJ to OK within the month as I'm not going to fly and have to wear a mask from airport arrival till entry into my rental car - not sure yet.
NJ COVID-19 vs. OK COVID-19 = "I'm sure the OK COVID-19 is friendlier."
Can't live "your" life in fear IMO.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I "might" be driving from NJ to OK within the month as I'm not going to fly and have to wear a mask from airport arrival till entry into my rental car - not sure yet.
NJ COVID-19 vs. OK COVID-19 = "I'm sure the OK COVID-19 is friendlier."
Can't live "your" life in fear IMO.

I drove out here from Arizona in late April. Flying seems like a hassle at this point. People are friendlier here than just about anywhere else. Especially in my small town.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:36 AM

I went to the Habitat for Humanity store today in Stillwater to look for some building supplies. They reopened a few weeks back. It is shut down again because of positive test cases there.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-23-2020 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 01:42 AM

98 posts, read 95,522 times
Quote:

Stay safe in NJ!
Well according to this medical article face mask dramatically reduce the risk of community spread. This isn't from fauci it's from Hong Kong.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7177146/

Singapore pretty much mandated facemask with the threat of a steep fine.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/healt...sks-compulsory

Mask are certainly not 100% but if everyone wears one then it can be highly effective and cause cases to plummit. Wearing a facemask certainly wont hurt you or else doctors and nurses wouldn't need them either. There hasn't been conflicting evidence it's always been known that mask help stop the spread it's just that some people don't believe it. If people don't wanna wear mask then well you can learn the hard way.

We've known for months so if this happens in Oklahoma remember that it didn't have to be this way and people actually chose this outcome with their actions.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 AM

3,084 posts, read 1,751,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet~d View Post

Mask are certainly not 100% but if everyone wears one then it can be highly effective and cause cases to plummit. Wearing a facemask certainly wont hurt you or else doctors and nurses wouldn't need them either. There hasn't been conflicting evidence it's always been known that mask help stop the spread it's just that some people don't believe it. If people don't wanna wear mask then well you can learn the hard way.
Unfortunately it won't be the non mask wearer who learns the hard way, it may be someone doing the right thing. I don't see the fuss. People are making this about their rights. I get that to a degree, but it's such a small thing to wear one when you go into stores. It's not forever either, just until the coast is clear.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Well according to this medical article face mask dramatically reduce the risk of community spread. This isn't from fauci it's from Hong Kong.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7177146/
Its a long article but I did scan it and look at the graph. Hong Kong has done well. Not sure where it proves that masks are the reason. I believe they cut themselves off from the world.

Quote:
Singapore pretty much mandated facemask with the threat of a steep fine.
Your story is from April 14th. I don't know if you have been following what has happened in Singapore but in early April they were praised for their response and doing things like mandating masks. They were a success story with covid-19. Then the cases exploded out of control. Its really been the last couple of weeks where its gotten back in control. It really does not prove that makes make the difference. Singapore has been a disaster.

A Sudden Coronavirus Surge Brought Out Singapore’s Dark Side

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/m...ronavirus.html

The pandemic seemed to pass over the city-state. Then the government was blindsided by an outbreak among poor migrant workers in packed dormitories.

Quote:
I am not against face masks. I wear one when I go into stores. But there are people wearing bandanas, or tying a piece of clothing around their face. Not all face coverings are equal. Masks primarily protect others from catching CV19 from you. They are much less effective preventing others from giving you the virus. But something is better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma