Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip View Post
Just be cautious, I have more problems from the grass spiders than anything. Man I hate them things! You have been told about grass spiders right?
I have a really good close-up pic of a Grass Spider! Wanna see?

And the only way you are going to get hurt by a Grass Spider is if you trip over that tire in your front yard trying to run from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Never heard of a grass spider.

Well, I am taking poison ivy stuff to prevent poison ivy. I hope it really works.

I had a good and bad dream last night. I dreamed we won a million dollars in the lotto. My idea was to buy a farm in the country around Tahlequah but in the hills, and then I could hire someone to take me to town and back when I got too old to drive/ We could also hire people to work on the farm. My DH had another idea, he wasn't so happy with Oklahoma, he wanted to check out Arizona and New Mexico. Yipes, of all places. But of course I wouldn't be battling spiders, chiggers, and ticks; instead it would be scorpians, rattlesnakes, and whatever else those lovely States have to offer.
.........and Black Widow spiders. They're notorious in the desert out west. Mostly found in dark,cool places, a just take my thumb and smashed em'. I met a guy at the ER once who had a big chunk of the lower part of his arm missing from a black widow bite.
When I first moved to OK. and the first time I went camping, I was fishing off the bank and I noticed my dog was excited about something, he likes to play with small critter. I looked down and there was this "black" tranchilla(?) spider. Not counting the legs, this thing was close to the size of a silver dollar. And hard,,,I had to use a hammer handle to kill it.

Jessaka, do you hope your dream comes true?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 AM

49 posts, read 173,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
I have a really good close-up pic of a Grass Spider! Wanna see?

And the only way you are going to get hurt by a Grass Spider is if you trip over that tire in your front yard trying to run from it.

Uh no thanks! And I know tha they are harmless but oh man they just really freak me out, I don't have a problem with the jumping spiders it them superfast grass ones. They just look really mean.

/me shudders

Old 02-17-2008, 09:56 AM

The way to find out if a Recluse spider is an adult is, see if they're wearing 3 pairs of glasses They have 3 sets of eyes.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:04 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
Kansas City is in the brown recluse area too.

I have lived in OK most of my life and I have never been bitten by a brown recluse spider. I am not the greatest housekeeper in the world either. If I do see one, I kill it and then spray.

I took those poison ivy pills, Jessaka, and I think they reallly worked for me.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 AM

49 posts, read 173,428 times

My son found this in an old log, It died shortly after this picture.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:25 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
What kind of spider is that black one? It looks like an upside down black widow.

I want to see a photo of the grass spider.

I hope the poison ivy works too. I want rocky mountains, lyme, etc. shots as well as brown recluse. Where or what are our wonderful scientists doing these days? They have to create anti-chigger itch, etc.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times
Quote:
What kind of spider is that black one? It looks like an upside down black widow..
Jessaka, it pretty much is! That is a Red-Back spider, a cousin of our Black-Widow spider and they are native (only) to Australia. We have friends who live there and we used to joke that their spiders were upside down because they live "down-under"

Quote:
Here he is:

Grass Spider

Grass Spider closer

Grass spider FACE!

The pics make him look bigger than he really was. You probably see them anytime you are working in the yard, and you turn something over... they like to hide under stuff and avoid people.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 AM

208 posts, read 872,339 times
Question Guinea Hens ?

Someone told me to get guinea's to control the bug population but they were laughing hysterically when they said it,could someone tell me why? I happen to LIKE chickens-in small quantities.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
What kind of spider is that black one? It looks like an upside down black widow.

I hope the poison ivy works too. I want rocky mountains, lyme, etc. shots as well as brown recluse. Where or what are our wonderful scientists doing these days? They have to create anti-chigger itch, etc.
It's a "Dislexic Black Widower"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma