Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,405,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I have heard about the jellyfish in Oklahoma, but they are not the stinging kind, thank goodness!
Care to elaborate for this outlander?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,627,390 times
First the funnier one:

Oklahomans under siege by jellyfish - UPI.com

Well, this one is funny too, but a little more scientific:

Tulsa World: Jellyfish colonies land in Oklahoma

Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
First the funnier one:

Oklahomans under siege by jellyfish - UPI.com

Well, this one is funny too, but a little more scientific:

Tulsa World: Jellyfish colonies land in Oklahoma
I said "I wouldn't be surprised".

So let's see...

OK has scarier bugs, weather and aquatic life than anything here...
And I want to move to OK why???

I know why!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 PM

38 posts, read 124,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad57 View Post
Hi all,

Well I'm likely moving to Oklahoma this summer, near Sulpher or thereabouts. I grew up in Texas and visited my mother's folks in Oklahoma regular, now my mother is retired and I'd like to move closer to her to be there for her.

Anyway, my question is about bug handling there. Last summer I got hit good by chiggers in one day, and my daughter is like a tick-magnet, - what do y'all do to lessen the likelyhood of picking up those kinda hitchhikers? I like to be outdoors so I'm guessing some good snake-proof boots would be handy, if there is such a thing.

Thanks for all help.
Welcome to Oklahoma! For insect control, be sure to keep the vegetation trimmed around your house and yard. Make sure that the landscape drains well. Treat your yard with a suitable insecticide if you need or hire a professional. Bugs looks for three things... food, shelter, and water.

When you leave the safety of your own yard and venture to the wilds, be sure to apply repellants and wear long sleeves.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,361,776 times
CG, You want to move here because you like us.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
CG, You want to move here because you like us.
That's one of the main reasons,
and there are many others also.

I wish I moved to OK back in 2001 instead of moving here.
Live and learn I guess...

Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,446,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBurry View Post
Welcome to Oklahoma! For insect control, be sure to keep the vegetation trimmed around your house and yard. Make sure that the landscape drains well. Treat your yard with a suitable insecticide if you need or hire a professional. Bugs looks for three things...
Quote:
food, shelter, and water.
When you leave the safety of your own yard and venture to the wilds, be sure to apply repellants and wear long sleeves.
Quote:
food, shelter, and water.
Kinda like the rest of us in OK.
With afew exceptions of course

Quote:
venture to the wilds, be sure to apply repellants and wear long sleeves
Or a wet suit

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-13-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-17-2008, 12:54 AM

26 posts, read 138,309 times
Unhappy re: spiders

After reading all the posts in this part of the forum (and there's another thread about bugs in OK too - read that) I think I need a reality check from someone! I am thinking about moving to the Tahlequah area - small town close there or Tahlequah itself. Am I going to have to fight off the brown recluse spider everywhere I go? I'm prepared for chiggers (ran into them in Kansas City Kansas) hate 'em but know you can control them...ticks I don't like either but if you stay out of the brush you should be okay right? But spiders - here in WA state there are supposed to be the recluse too but never see them - ever!! (i'm on the wet side) A friend was bitten by one and had a heck of a time getting over it (she's on eastern OR side) so they do kind of freak me out. I don't want to have to shake out every single piece of cloth that has laid around for a couple of days all the time - should I seriously worry or just be cautious?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:11 AM

49 posts, read 173,553 times
Just be cautious, I have more problems from the grass spiders than anything. Man I hate them things! You have been told about grass spiders right?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:35 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,361,776 times
Never heard of a grass spider.

Well, I am taking poison ivy stuff to prevent poison ivy. I hope it really works.

I had a good and bad dream last night. I dreamed we won a million dollars in the lotto. My idea was to buy a farm in the country around Tahlequah but in the hills, and then I could hire someone to take me to town and back when I got too old to drive/ We could also hire people to work on the farm. My DH had another idea, he wasn't so happy with Oklahoma, he wanted to check out Arizona and New Mexico. Yipes, of all places. But of course I wouldn't be battling spiders, chiggers, and ticks; instead it would be scorpians, rattlesnakes, and whatever else those lovely States have to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma