Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM

374 posts, read 807,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I doubt that. As beautiful as California is, I couldn't imagine moving there and then a year later wanting to move back to Oklahoma, unless experience with earthquakes was too frightening. Besides that, if you don't like the liberal attitude of coastal California, you can settle in the southern half of the Central Valley, which is about as conservative as Oklahoma. My personal problem is I'm just a homebody and don't have the same adventurous spirit as my former Oklahoma friend, who moved to San Diego decades ago and doesn't ever want to move back to Oklahoma.
Then what's holding you back? They need you out there. They are bleeding residents and losing business by the day. Hope you make enough to afford the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 AM

793 posts, read 1,113,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
False. Every county in Oklahoma is red. Wyoming has a fragment of our population.
I didn't say every county in Oklahoma wasn't red... I listed the 5 counties that voted the least percentage red. True Wyoming has a much smaller population, but I don't see your point? 69.3% of Wyoming voters voted Republican, whereas 66.8% voted Republican in Oklahoma. Utah was even higher at 72.8%.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Your responses were so ridiculous that you even brought up the gay and lesbian community.
Not that it matters......... but I have never mentioned "the gay and lesbian community" once on this thread. So you are wrong once again.

That aside, I don't think there is anything "wrong" with your original post other than much of the social comments are generalizations. Furthermore, I have actually AGREED with you enough to indicate that liberals from other states probably don't want to come to Oklahoma FOR THE VERY REASONS YOU MENTION IN YOUR ORIGINAL POST.

I then however posit the opinion that if a liberal DOES come to Oklahoma, there are other liberals here (According to you they are all in Tulsa apparently). This holds true for just about any ethnic group, religious sect, political persuasion (Obama got 33% of the vote in OK), hobby whatever. Whatever you do (or are), we have someone else doing it in Oklahoma.

I'm sorry this bothers you but I wish you well in your one man crusade to keep all the liberals out of Oklahoma that are no doubt loading up their moving vans as I type.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 AM

I did find this gem on C-D.

It appears JohnS has a kindred spirit in the Wyoming legislature.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tmosphere.html

Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,411 times
Quote:
Then what's holding you back? They need you out there. They are bleeding residents and losing business by the day. Hope you make enough to afford the taxes.
I don't know that California needs people, despite the over-hyped (and highly erroneous) criticisms of how it's run.

-That state still has by a wide margin the most new patents awarded (more than three times the rate of Texas, which ranks second.)

-It also ranks 32nd in number of federal tax dollars it takes in relation to the amount it pays. In other words, for every $1 Californians pay in federal taxes, the state receives .87 in return. In contrast, Oklahoma ranks 21st, or rather for every $1 Oklahomans pay in federal taxes, the state receives $1.18. In business terms, that would place California in the green and Oklahoma in the red.

-Hemorrhaging people is also 100% false. Between 2010 and 2012, census estimates are that Oklahoma grew by 63,469 and California grew by 787,474. In numbers, California grew by more than 12x what Oklahoma did. California is also just under 10x as populated as Oklahoma, therefore its growth rate is higher. One other interesting fact on that note: the Los Angeles area grew by more in one year (115,964 between 2010 and 2011) than Oklahoma did in two.

-California alone contributes to 13% of America's economy at $1.96 trillion. On the international scale, that would put California in the top ten world economies, which would still include the rest of America. Oklahoma alone would be 58th, between Hungary and Vietnam.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
I already stated as to why. Meanwhile, I've heard of some Oklahomans who haven't ventured out of their county before, much less the state.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I don't know that California needs people, despite the over-hyped (and highly erroneous) criticisms of how it's run.

-That state still has by a wide margin the most new patents awarded (more than three times the rate of Texas, which ranks second.)

-It also ranks 32nd in number of federal tax dollars it takes in relation to the amount it pays. In other words, for every $1 Californians pay in federal taxes, the state receives .87 in return. In contrast, Oklahoma ranks 21st, or rather for every $1 Oklahomans pay in federal taxes, the state receives $1.18. In business terms, that would place California in the green and Oklahoma in the red.

-Hemorrhaging people is also 100% false. Between 2010 and 2012, census estimates are that Oklahoma grew by 63,469 and California grew by 787,474. In numbers, California grew by more than 12x what Oklahoma did. California is also just under 10x as populated as Oklahoma, therefore its growth rate is higher. One other interesting fact on that note: the Los Angeles area grew by more in one year (115,964 between 2010 and 2011) than Oklahoma did in two.

-California alone contributes to 13% of America's economy at $1.96 trillion. On the international scale, that would put California in the top ten world economies, which would still include the rest of America. Oklahoma alone would be 58th, between Hungary and Vietnam.
I think the issue here is that for the first time ever (I think) there are more Californians moving to Oklahoma than vice versa. JohnS is worried that they are the liberal types of Californians and they are going to try and change the culture here in Oklahoma. Others of us don't really think that is going to happen.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Liberals are in denial about California being in deep trouble as it is the poster child for the nanny state.

The state is growing as it offers more liberal benefits to non workers than most states so those who love good weather without a job will move to Ca. The growth due to immigration is high as well. High earners who have managed to lock in a nice home in Ca before the prices soared out of the earth's orbit, they are happy to be in palo alto as long as they can afford it so the patents roll in.

But talk to business owners about making a living in Ca as well as a profit from their business.. its hard with the state and local gov wanting a big take of any profits you make along with passing unique laws to CA that are not designed to help business be successful. One simple example is gasoline in Ca is a unique blend, more costly than the national blends other states use. Few refineries are designed and built to this CA unique standard so gasoline is going to cost more since it costs more to make it to meet Ca's demands. Also when one of those refineries that is designed to meet Ca specs is down their is a shortage and the price soars.

Ca is living off the fat of the land that has long left the state. As additional businesses and successful people leave the state over its tax policies and other regs, the deep hole will become clear especially as gov unrecorded liabilities in rich pensions come home to roost. The perfect storm of financial destruction has been created by Ca, even they are smart enough to set the trigger to occur over time so each day we are getting closer to the point of no financial return for Ca.

They arent worried about losing jobs? Then why did the state of Ca legislature come to Texas a year or so ago to learn why they were losing so many jobs to Texas?

Read the posts about people leaving Ca as they have given up on finding a job where they can pay their bills and support their family in Ca. Those who worship great weather and "have to live" where the buzz is, Ca is the only place for them if the NE is too cold.

I do not like the way Ca thinks and wouldnt live there if it was booming. I worked with many Ca natives in Houston, when they retired they didnt return to Ca despite having the income/net worth to handle its high cost. Not everyone want to live in Ca... nor Tx ...nor Ok which is a good thing as all three are growing just fine. The question is where does the road each has chosen lead in the long run. I worry for Ca but hope I am wrong because they are too big to fail... which means we will have to bail them out when the dominoes fall.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Why don't California conservatives on the coast move to the Central Valley part of the state, which votes like Oklahoma? They even have a Kern County and a Kern Lake.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think the issue here is that for the first time ever (I think) there are more Californians moving to Oklahoma than vice versa. JohnS is worried that they are the liberal types of Californians and they are going to try and change the culture here in Oklahoma. Others of us don't really think that is going to happen.
I've never really understood the Republican/conservative equals good debate. If anything it's just the quality of leadership and foresight. Texas is a great example. It's fine for now... but in the near future it will face some serious problems. It's been leading the nation in "job growth" for sure, but the majority of those jobs don't exactly pay the bills. It has the largest number of people living below the poverty line, and has the highest percentage of people in that bracket too. Its job creation rate is actually lower than its population growth. It is quickly becoming one of the worst states for income disparity. Unless Texas plans smarter, it will have some severe obstacles to overcome in the future.

I don't know what impact more liberals could or would have on Oklahoma, especially if politicians start gerrymandering districts to keep their party in power. You also have people like me who won't vote in Oklahoma. In federal elections, I don't see a point because the Republican will win anyway. In local elections, I really just don't care because I don't intend to live here long-term.

That also brings me to my next point: how many are going to stay? I came to Oklahoma because I had no choice and it just hasn't grown on me, nor will it ever be home. I highly doubt I'm the only one in this position, and when the economy improves (or when a job pops up) I'll leave. I know it's strictly apocryphal, but I was reading about the people who moved to North Dakota for work... and long-time residents said they always get a surge of new residents when the economy tanks, then an exodus when it recovers. It's entirely possible when California's economy is healthy, former residents will return. Aside from Texas the states that get the majority of California transplants are Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. Californians are staying close for a reason, whether it be to stay near friends/family or to easily move back under better economic circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma