Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM
J24

448 posts, read 865,512 times

Advertisements

In my 4 1/2 years living in OKC/Edmond, I didn't feel like I was in the reddest state in the nation. The college-aged generation is very liberal, even in Oklahoma. Sure, there were tons of conservatives, but I knew just as many hard-core liberals. As for the LGBT population, I also knew a LOT of gay men and women. They didn't need to hide it at all.

So perhaps it just the older generation in Oklahoma, but I think things are changing in the social realm at least. I'm sure it'll still remain a red state, but it's definitely not what most people probably think it is.

And for the weather, Oklahoma does have about every extreme you could think of. However, I lived in Oklahoma for the first 23 years of my life (minus 4 years where I lived in the panhandle of Texas, which is basically the same), and I've never seen a tornado. And I'm the type of person who would go outside when I heard the tornado siren trying to catch a glimpse. So yes, Oklahoma does have quite a few tornadoes, but they aren't as common or frequent as people might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,350,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So we welcome godless heathens to Oklahoma too.
Yes. I've been a godless heathen (thank Odin!) my whole life. I've spent more time in Oklahoma than any other place I've lived, and I've never had any trouble finding a large group of kind, interesting, intelligent people...even freaks, some might say, to hang out with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Point is, not all of us are like you. Unlike yourself, we would welcome anyone who would be interested in coming to Oklahoma be they conservative, liberal, Christian, Muslim, atheist, whatever. We would hope they would feel welcome here and find folks that they relate to.
Yes again. Oklahoma, like the rest of the nation, is fortunately becoming (slowly) more progressive and diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Oklahoma is significantly more conservative than other Southern states and it has the most conservative metro areas in the nation.
True, excelt we should remember that actual conservativism is pretty much dead. We have a highly Republican base, of course, but Republicans haven't been conservative in 4 decades.

I'm no fan of Democrats either, but I will say that since I moved back to Oklahoma a couple of months ago, I've seen far more Obama stickers than I have Romney stickers. That surprised me.

Quote:
Atheists and liberals will be able to find like-minded people in Oklahoma but they can't expect everybody to be tolerant of their beliefs. Liberals in Oklahoma City will probably have a more difficult time finding their niche than in other cities of comparable size. They will need to keep their views to themselves when they aren't around like-minded company to avoid unpleasantries. However, there are liberals and atheists here. They are just a smaller percentage of the population.

It's the same way with the LGBT population. From what I understand OKC has a rather large gay nightlife district for its size, but when you are in mixed company its something you keep to yourself for your own protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
In my 4 1/2 years living in OKC/Edmond, I didn't feel like I was in the reddest state in the nation. The college-aged generation is very liberal, even in Oklahoma. Sure, there were tons of conservatives, but I knew just as many hard-core liberals. As for the LGBT population, I also knew a LOT of gay men and women. They didn't need to hide it at all.

So perhaps it just the older generation in Oklahoma, but I think things are changing in the social realm at least. I'm sure it'll still remain a red state, but it's definitely not what most people probably think it is.
^^^ Agreed. I know a really high number of people in the LGBT community. My sister and her partner have been together over 20 years and are pillars of their community with a very wide network of friends, business associates, church members, etc. My sister is an assistant DA and her partner is the head of HR for a large university.

You don't have to be a hardcore rightwing Christian redneck to enjoy living here or to thrive here. But I've found if you avoid talking politics and religion or being vocally radical with people you don't know, even those Okies whose political and religious views are 180 degrees from yours are just as unpretentious and nice as you'd ever want to meet.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 AM

17,886 posts, read 13,816,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

You don't have to be a hardcore rightwing Christian redneck to enjoy living here or to thrive here. But I've found if you avoid talking politics and religion or being vocally radical with people you don't know, even those Okies whose political and religious views are 180 degrees from yours are just as unpretentious and nice as you'd ever want to meet.

Agreed totally. Because of where we are, the rightwing Christian POV will always be the predominant one.

I was once in Eugene, OR with my grandfather who was from just outside Enid. He had married a woman who live in Eugene after my grandmother died.

He was doing his usual ******ing about all the dirty hippies in Eugene when I asked him why we didn't have as many hippies in Oklahoma. He said "It's hard to commune in a wheat field."

I laughed but it's true.

Why anyone who is conservative around here would be worried about an influx of liberals is just silly.

OTOH, I don't want those non-conservatives who want to come here to be deterred by people who are basically pulling the "we don't like your kind around here" stunt.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM

374 posts, read 809,343 times
There are periods in Oklahoma where a tornado occurs every day. Fact

Younger college-age kids tend to be liberal...regardless of where they reside. Fact

As people age they become more conservative. Fact

Pointless to this conversation. Oklahoma is the reddest state in the land. Fact.

Oklahoma has the some of the most severe weather on the planet. We have the highest concentration of tornadoes on the planet. The fastest wind speed ever recorded was right here in Oklahoma County --All Facts

What do Gays and lesbians have to do with the discussion? Did I lay out a premise that they are not welcome? Many Gays are also conservative. Fact
Why are you tying Gays and Lesbians to Atheism? Is this a common link?
Who said you have to be a redneck to live here? I simply pointed out where and what Oklahoma is - Just because people moving here want to know.

I don't get the humor in your wheat field joke? Not many wheat fields in southern and eastern OK

Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM

17,886 posts, read 13,816,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post

I don't get the humor in your wheat field joke? Not many wheat fields in southern and eastern OK
No, but southern Oklahoma has other stuff like ticks, chiggars, and horseflies to keep the dirty hippies away.

Again, the point is that LIBERALS and Counterculture types are not attracted to Oklahoma and this part of the world.

But if they do want to come here, we have some people here that are like them. Not a lot but some.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 PM

778 posts, read 2,327,881 times
This thread is stupid. There I said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yes. I've been a godless heathen (thank Odin!) my whole life. I've spent more time in Oklahoma than any other place I've lived, and I've never had any trouble finding a large group of kind, interesting, intelligent people...even freaks, some might say, to hang out with.

Yes again. Oklahoma, like the rest of the nation, is fortunately becoming (slowly) more progressive and diverse.

True, excelt we should remember that actual conservativism is pretty much dead. We have a highly Republican base, of course, but Republicans haven't been conservative in 4 decades.

I'm no fan of Democrats either, but I will say that since I moved back to Oklahoma a couple of months ago, I've seen far more Obama stickers than I have Romney stickers. That surprised me.

^^^ Agreed. I know a really high number of people in the LGBT community. My sister and her partner have been together over 20 years and are pillars of their community with a very wide network of friends, business associates, church members, etc. My sister is an assistant DA and her partner is the head of HR for a large university.

I was pretty exasperated when I read the OP, but I think this sums it up best.

This state is in need of some diversity of thought and at least from my vantage point in OKC (I imagine the same is true for Tulsa), it is happening whether some people like it or not. I welcome these people to our state. I am always happy when I here things like what is laid out in your post, Griffis. Because that shows that people here of ALL stripes can thrive here. Yes its a red state. Yes we have crazy weather. Nobody is moving here expecting to see otherwise.

Its frankly just ridiculous to be so freaked out that others might be a little different from you. Nowhere in this state is anywhere close to being "overrun" with outsiders. If our state is to grow this stream of paranoia need to be put out to pasture.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,717,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
As people age they become more conservative. Fact
Not me. I gave up voting for Republicans over 10 years ago. I view my change as a person who took a greater interest in the political world with discovery of the Internet aiding me. Maybe if I lived on either one of the coasts, I would be able to find a Republican I could vote for.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,263,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
This thread is stupid. There I said it.

I was pretty exasperated when I read the OP, but I think this sums it up best.

This state is in need of some diversity of thought and at least from my vantage point in OKC (I imagine the same is true for Tulsa), it is happening whether some people like it or not. I welcome these people to our state. I am always happy when I here things like what is laid out in your post, Griffis. Because that shows that people here of ALL stripes can thrive here. Yes its a red state. Yes we have crazy weather. Nobody is moving here expecting to see otherwise.

Its frankly just ridiculous to be so freaked out that others might be a little different from you. Nowhere in this state is anywhere close to being "overrun" with outsiders. If our state is to grow this stream of paranoia need to be put out to pasture.
I totally agree with what you say. Oklahoma needs more diversity. The OP makes it look like outsiders are not welcomed.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,263,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Not me. I gave up voting for Republicans over 10 years ago. I view my change as a person who took a greater interest in the political world with discovery of the Internet aiding me. Maybe if I lived on either one of the coasts, I would be able to find a Republican I could vote for.
Same with me, as I got older I became more liberal. Same goes for a lot of my friends and family.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 PM

374 posts, read 809,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I totally agree with what you say. Oklahoma needs more diversity. The OP makes it look like outsiders are not welcomed.
This post sums up perfectly why my OP scares people like you. What does diversity solve? Do you even understand what diversity is? Oklahoma is already extremely diverse. It's also very unified. That is a very rare but good attribute. Go live in California and experience the alternative. You will be longing for Oklahoma within one year.

Embrace Oklahoma for what it is. Embrace it, or find a more "diverse" state to live. Oklahoma isn't going to change for you. You either adapt or don't. It's now clear why these posts scare people like you, 1soonerfan, eddie gein..etc. You think if you can advertise Oklahoma the way you want it to be, more people will move here and dilute the culture you hate. Good luck with that. Love it or leave it.

Nothing in my OP says people are not welcome here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma