Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM
J24

448 posts, read 863,470 times

Advertisements

I don't see how Oklahoma isn't diverse? I feel like it's a extremely diverse place. At least OKC is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Here is a simple list of facts about our state you should know

-we are the buckle on the Bible Belt. Only Mississippi and Alabama has a higher concentration of Southern Baptists.
-We are the reddest state in the Union. All 77 counties in Oklahoma are hard core Republican.
-The dominant culture in OK is southern. This is especially true in the Southeastern quadrant of the state.
-We are salt of the earth people with a rich history of overcoming adversity.
- Our winters are cold and our summers are hot and humid.
- We have weird alcohol laws.
-Most of Oklahoma is not situated in the Great Plains.
- You will not find a better steak, burger or real BBQ anywhere on the planet
- We are some of the nicest people in the world.
- Our public schools rank about 40th in the nation
-We have the highest concentration of tornadoes on the planet.
-We have earthquakes
-Our
severe weather will make you
crap your
pants
-Our taxes are very low.
-We love our college football
-People in Oklahoma help those less fortunate.
-When there is a crisis, we all pull together.
-We welcome you if can accept our state for what it is.
I'm pagan and I like living in Oklahoma. I figure religion is up to each person to choose. If they are happy, I'm good with it.

I'm not conservative, but don't give anyone carte blance to enforce their political agenda. I also think politics is an individual thing. I'm not interested in telling someone they should think like me. Agree to disagree is just fine. Same as with religion.

Yes, we do not have storms like Kansas and north do. Looked into Kansas until I saw the winters.

I like the attitude of dealing with adversity by not letting it own you.

Weather is unpredictable. I enjoyed watching the snow today. The wind is something I barely noticed. I came from where the santa ana winds always blew and outsiders claimed the usual day was windy, not just a breeze. Summer is a bit more humid, but I'm used to hot. But... the air is not visible and you can't smell it and you can see what's down the horizon. OK weather trumps the worse smog in the nation any day.

I like wine, but rarely. Agree the laws are odd. And the meat is primo. Highland milk is awesome. I like from scrach cooking so I do well with the selection. Walmart needs to restock the stuff they recently quit selling in the store.

People are friendly and as was said, salt of the earth. I like that. Also not in your face which is good. I've never had a problem over my religion even though I have a clearly visible silver pendant which shows it.

Unless the Madrid fault goes, the quakes here won't be the Big One. Lived close to the likely place the San Andreas will go. I'm philosophical about tornados, though those severe weather watches on tv can get scary.

Hate football, sports in general. If you love it, I'm good.

You forgot that OK moves at half speed and 'we'll be back later' might be next week if your lucky. This takes some getting used to. Learn to do as much as you can yourself. Not that I miss the hurry hurry pace of socal.

And yes, OK is changing slowly. And if you like how things are, and accept your not going to change it in any hurry, its a great place for the right people.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
I don't see how Oklahoma isn't diverse? I feel like it's a extremely diverse place. At least OKC is.
It is. Much more so that many of the states around us.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Why anyone who is conservative around here would be worried about an influx of liberals is just silly.

Perhaps much of the "conservative" and "Christian" is for the outside only and they actually live opposite lives and they are afraid to be found out?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
Quote:
This post sums up perfectly why my OP scares people like you. What does diversity solve? Do you even understand what diversity is? Oklahoma is already extremely diverse. It's also very unified. That is a very rare but good attribute. Go live in California and experience the alternative. You will be longing for Oklahoma within one year.

Embrace Oklahoma for what it is. Embrace it, or find a more "diverse" state to live. Oklahoma isn't going to change for you. You either adapt or don't. It's now clear why these posts scare people like you, 1soonerfan, eddie gein..etc. You think if you can advertise Oklahoma the way you want it to be, more people will move here and dilute the culture you hate. Good luck with that. Love it or leave it.

Nothing in my OP says people are not welcome here.
What makes you think your post scares me? I thought it was a silly rant.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
This post sums up perfectly why my OP scares people like you. What does diversity solve? Do you even understand what diversity is? Oklahoma is already extremely diverse. It's also very unified. That is a very rare but good attribute. Go live in California and experience the alternative. You will be longing for Oklahoma within one year.
I doubt that. As beautiful as California is, I couldn't imagine moving there and then a year later wanting to move back to Oklahoma, unless experience with earthquakes was too frightening. Besides that, if you don't like the liberal attitude of coastal California, you can settle in the southern half of the Central Valley, which is about as conservative as Oklahoma. My personal problem is I'm just a homebody and don't have the same adventurous spirit as my former Oklahoma friend, who moved to San Diego decades ago and doesn't ever want to move back to Oklahoma.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 AM

793 posts, read 1,111,543 times
Quote:
Here is a simple list of facts about our state you should know

-we are the buckle on the Bible Belt. Only Mississippi and Alabama has a higher concentration of Southern Baptists.
-We are the reddest state in the Union. All 77 counties in Oklahoma are hard core Republican.
-The dominant culture in OK is southern. This is especially true in the Southeastern quadrant of the state.
-We are salt of the earth people with a rich history of overcoming adversity.
- Our winters are cold and our summers are hot and humid.
- We have weird alcohol laws.
-Most of Oklahoma is not situated in the Great Plains.
- You will not find a better steak, burger or real BBQ anywhere on the planet
- We are some of the nicest people in the world.
- Our public schools rank about 40th in the nation
-We have the highest concentration of tornadoes on the planet.
-We have earthquakes
-Our severe weather will make you crap your pants
-Our taxes are very low.
-We love our college football
-People in Oklahoma help those less fortunate.
-When there is a crisis, we all pull together.
-We welcome you if can accept our state for what it is.
Utah and Wyoming are more red than Oklahoma. Also, not all counties are hardcore Republican; Comanche, Oklahoma, Okmulgee, Muskogee, and Cherokee counties all had the least percentage that voted red, between 57 and 58.7%.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:30 PM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
What makes you think your post scares me? I thought it was a silly rant.
Why anybody would think his wrongheadedness is "scary"...................... is just more wrongheadedness.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM

374 posts, read 806,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
Utah and Wyoming are more red than Oklahoma. Also, not all counties are hardcore Republican; Comanche, Oklahoma, Okmulgee, Muskogee, and Cherokee counties all had the least percentage that voted red, between 57 and 58.7%.
False. Every county in Oklahoma is red. Wyoming has a fragment of our population.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 PM

374 posts, read 806,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Why anybody would think his wrongheadedness is "scary"...................... is just more wrongheadedness.
There was nothing wrong with my original post, yet you come running once again. Your responses were so ridiculous that you even brought up the gay and lesbian community. Now you want to play coy. I know how you work. I posted facts, you countered with your wishful opinion. You've really got nothing. It scares you because you know it is right. Stop lying to people hoping they will bring you more "diversity."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma