Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:13 PM

14 posts, read 69,306 times

Advertisements

So, I’ve lived here for a bit now and here’s my take.
The good: absolutely no traffic, not bad. Bartlesville has cool little mom and pops restaurants and bars. I was also very surprised how nice the people are here. For the most part they seem to be genially nice.
Tulsa is way cooler than I expected! They have a great music scene. The pubs are quality, and the liberal vibe is not bad.
The food, it’s good, but you have look for it.
The Property value, you more bang for your buck. But you also need to two cars if you are a family. FYI.
The bad: The culture is all about guns, to the point of almost religion. I’m not against guns, but I’m against gun nuts. There are many here who I honestly feel a little threatened by. If you have children be careful. Almost everyone’s home has some type of fire arm and I’ve found on more than a few occasions they leave them loaded.
The weird alcohol laws here. I walked into a liquor store with my one year old and you would have thought I committed high treason against the government. Yeah, not a lot of cool places to have a drink and hang out if you are towing a kid. They act that alcohol some sort of evil thing. But the laws are changing.
Anyway, though, It’s nice here. Not a place I want to stay but I’ve had a pretty good all-around experience. Oh, yeah the weather here is freaking nuts, but you get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
I'm glad you don't seem to have too many negative issues with one of the best places to live in Oklahoma. When people move to Oklahoma, it's best to pick where to live very carefully, if possible.

I'm also glad the ruling Republicans are finally getting around to correcting the bad and stupid laws Democrats made or tolerated against alcohol from decades past, though you gotta give Democrats credit for helping to legalize sales of alcohol in liquor stores back in 1959.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,460,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'm also glad the ruling Republicans are finally getting around to correcting the bad and stupid laws Democrats made or tolerated against alcohol from decades past, though you gotta give Democrats credit for helping to legalize sales of alcohol in liquor stores back in 1959.
Same people, right-wing Evangelical conservatives, but they switched parties because of Nixon's inducements and Regan's appeals. It's just that they have loved alcohol in secret/private even though that "Christian" tradition discouraged/prohibited it. Today, they are more open with it. Sadly today's right-wing Evangelicals are not as devout as their forefathers were!

Old 03-10-2018, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 989 times
Family and I are going to relocate from California to Oklahoma a friend had mentioned living in Bartlesville but my fear is tornadoes how often do they happen in this part of Oklahoma and being a California girl the only thing I've ever experienced is earthquakes any suggestions of a safer place to live in Oklahoma missing the tornadoes would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-10-2018, 06:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice girl View Post
Family and I are going to relocate from California to Oklahoma a friend had mentioned living in Bartlesville but my fear is tornadoes how often do they happen in this part of Oklahoma and being a California girl the only thing I've ever experienced is earthquakes any suggestions of a safer place to live in Oklahoma missing the tornadoes would be greatly appreciated
Bartlesville is no different from Stillwater. Rarely does a tornado come barreling through the middle of town.

And Bartlesville isn't real close to where the earthquakes have been centered.

I wouldn't recommend Stillwater as a very safe place from earthquakes, because earthquakes have centered under or not far from the city limits before. The 5.8 earthquake, the strongest ever, in 2016 that centered not very far northeast of Stillwater, near Pawnee, was a very frightening experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma