Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 AM

174 posts, read 451,234 times

Advertisements

Bartlesville has the feel of a nice town-suburb. I've only visited but I like it alot. There is a varied housing stock. I kind of like the craftsman style near the center of town. There are nice developments as well in most price ranges. You won't have the choices you would in Chicago or its suburbs though. Bartlesville is very small in comparision.

It's a company town for ConocoPhillips. Oklahoma does not have the pub culture you are describing. Okies in general are conservative people no matter what their political views are. OU and OSU football is about as close to the scene you're looking for. Most of that action is either in OKC or a handful of pubs in Tulsa.

Church is big in OK. A lot of family activity centers around church. As a christian that suits me fine but I know it can be offsetting for many people. Luckily Bartlesville offers so many other cultural activities so you're sure to find friends and things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,719,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERISAjunkie View Post

It's a company town for ConocoPhillips. Oklahoma does not have the pub culture you are describing. Okies in general are conservative people no matter what their political views are. OU and OSU football is about as close to the scene you're looking for. Most of that action is either in OKC or a handful of pubs in Tulsa.

Church is big in OK. A lot of family activity centers around church. As a christian that suits me fine but I know it can be offsetting for many people. Luckily Bartlesville offers so many other cultural activities so you're sure to find friends and things to do.
Yeah, alcohol had been prohibited since around statehood in 1907 and stayed that way until 1959. No pub culture could develop. So the churches became major places to go socialize.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:09 AM

3,565 posts, read 8,007,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramyers View Post
Do we REALLY want to be telling someone to DRIVE to a pub...then drive home with alot of other people on the roads AFTER they've been to the pub? Shouldn't we be thinking through our advice a little better than that?? I'm an Oklahoman who lives in this area...I have a spouse who drives these roads...and kids who drive these roads....ALL Of whom are sober when they do so.
Please be careful about the advice you're giving...my family's life may be at risk here.
I am greatful for people like you and for the greater culture that exists in Oklahoma. Common sense lives! I'm also greatful for a companies like Phillips and Walmart who haven't abandoned rural America and prove a company can exist outside of major urban areas - because they draw people from all over the country and world who otherwise wouldn't have the honor to experience the more rural cultures in this country.

That said, I know Bartlesville is a bit of an anomaly in that it's a small town with a mere population of about 35,000, but has an amazing skyline for its size as well as cultural amenities - all thanks to Phillips' history and influence. It's been several years since I've neen in Bartlesville, but I would have to say it's very suburban and most of the activity outside of business and events downtown takes place in the suburban development along the US 75 corridor. I'd say most of the middle-class to wealthy live in the subdivisions surrounding the original historic core part of town. Bartlesville isn't ugly, but it by no means developed as a cosmopolitan town that coveted its urban downtown and historic neighborhoods over typical suburban-style, car-centric development.

All that said, my question is are there any historic neighborhoods in the historic original part of Bartlesville that middle-class to wealthy folks live? Has there been any loft, apartment or condo development downtown?

Old 12-24-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, that seems to be a bad, sad side effect in the tradition and culture of Oklahoma small town life. For some reason they have laws that shut the bars down on Sunday. Not even restaurants are allowed to sell anything stronger than 3.2% beer. Maybe it's assumed that it would go against God's will to serve alcohol on Sunday or downright sinful. I detect next to ZERO interest in my town and county to get the people to go to the polls to make the county WET on Sunday. It's just a well honored tradition townspeople don't want to do away with, similar to the way it's against Oklahoma state law to sell cars on Sunday. It's simply a time honored state wide tradition.

It does get worse in Oklahoma. In the most backward Oklahoma counties the strongest you can get 7 days a week is 3.2% beer.
I personally like that places like Oklahoma actually have a real local culture. I don't want every place to be the same. There are folks who are very theoretical and see everything on a national scale that selectively have no respect or appreciation for real local cultures rooted in tradition and history, such as Oklahoma's, that if they had their way would have this entire country be homogenous and would (or are they already?) force coastal/liberal/new school (whatever you want to call it) ways on places like Oklahoma - which is ironic because these same folks tend to covet varying European and world cultures and select subcultures here at home in the US. What it boils down to is a lack of respect and not seeing certain segments of Americans as validly choosing their own cultural/traditional route. The words fascist and dictatorial have been used to describe these people. Who want to destroy others' culture. What I'm defending here is what many are referring to when they suggest American culture is being attacked and those attacking it often seem befuddled as a response. They seem befuddled because either they haven't experienced it, don't see it, and therefore don't realize it really exists, or they flatout have no respect and want it destroyed.

Last edited by MOKAN; 12-24-2011 at 04:46 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,614 times
I am also from Chicago. I have lived in downtown Bartlesville for 8 years and I love it here. After spending 24 years of my married life trying to stay out of Oklahoma, no one is more surprised about this than I am. I walk everywhere except the grocery store. For watching the Bears, Savastano's in Tulsa is the place to be. Awesome Chicago style pizza and da Bears = fabu Sunday. I haven't played rugby since I moved here but I know my friend's son plays on a team here. Adult teams, I'm not sure of. I haven't seen a cab here. ;-)

Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,814,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I am greatful for people like you and for the greater culture that exists in Oklahoma. Common sense lives! I'm also greatful for a companies like Phillips and Walmart who haven't abandoned rural America and prove a company can exist outside of major urban areas - because they draw people from all over the country and world who otherwise wouldn't have the honor to experience the more rural cultures in this country.

That said, I know Bartlesville is a bit of an anomaly in that it's a small town with a mere population of about 35,000, but has an amazing skyline for its size as well as cultural amenities - all thanks to Phillips' history and influence. It's been several years since I've neen in Bartlesville, but I would have to say it's very suburban and most of the activity outside of business and events downtown takes place in the suburban development along the US 75 corridor. I'd say most of the middle-class to wealthy live in the subdivisions surrounding the original historic core part of town. Bartlesville isn't ugly, but it by no means developed as a cosmopolitan town that coveted its urban downtown and historic neighborhoods over typical suburban-style, car-centric development.

All that said, my question is are there any historic neighborhoods in the historic original part of Bartlesville that middle-class to wealthy folks live? Has there been any loft, apartment or condo development downtown?

Phillips started in Bville, I think they would leave except the fact that they already own large office space and it would be stupid to simply leave it and pay high rent in Houston. Companies don't care about people or culture, that's a strange notion you have, lol. Walmart knows it can reap the benefits of having both lower wage workers and workers who may have higher education background. In other words, you could not find that many people willing to work for nothing that would also be qualified. Not legally anyhow. In that part of the country 11 bucks an hour is good. It's smart business for them.

Bville does certainly have a unique culture. Not town like that in the world. It's really not just another cookie cutter small town.

There are historic neighborhoods, with beautiful turn of the century houses close to downtown and they have developed the downtown buildings into apartments.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Phillips started in Bville, I think they would leave except the fact that they already own large office space and it would be stupid to simply leave it and pay high rent in Houston. Companies don't care about people or culture, that's a strange notion you have, lol. Walmart knows it can reap the benefits of having both lower wage workers and workers who may have higher education background. In other words, you could not find that many people willing to work for nothing that would also be qualified. Not legally anyhow. In that part of the country 11 bucks an hour is good. It's smart business for them.

Bville does certainly have a unique culture. Not town like that in the world. It's really not just another cookie cutter small town.

There are historic neighborhoods, with beautiful turn of the century houses close to downtown and they have developed the downtown buildings into apartments.
Yes, Phillips started in Bartlesville. Phillips made Bartlesville into what it is today. Phillips has always had an allegiance to Bartlesville and I'm sure that played out in merger negotiations. Trust me, they haven't maintained a presence in Bartlesville merely for cheap rent or cheaper labor. Get real. And yes, companies DO care about culture and people. That's why they've maintained a presence in Bartlesville and why that town has an unusually large amount of cultural amenities for its size. You do realize companies and wealthy people who have a large stake in said companies are who contribute and pay for said cultural amenities? Also, many companies choose locations based on cultural amenities because it helps them draw highly-educated employees. So yes, companies do care about culture as well as people. These aren't hard connections to make.

As for Walmart, they didn't choose NW Arkansas for their HQ because of some sort of cheap labor or rent to take advantage of either - it was also because of loyalty to the area! Walmart has made NWA what it is today. Highly-educated people MOVE(D) there to work for Walmart. I'd say they must be paying some pretty hefty salaries to draw people there, especially since many educated folks these days are steered toward larger urban areas and may have a bad impression of Arkansas. Also, NWA now has cultural amenities that exist directly because of Walmart being there, such as the Crystal Bridges art museum (thanks to Alice Walton of the Walmart family). Like I said, get real dude.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,719,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Yeah, but Phillips combined with Conoco and left Bartlesville for Houston. I've heard at one time that as many as 10,000 people once worked for Phillips in Bartlesville. So now I wonder how many people are working for Conoco-Phillips in Bartlesville?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, but Phillips combined with Conoco and left Bartlesville for Houston. I've heard at one time that as many as 10,000 people once worked for Phillips in Bartlesville. So now I wonder how many people are working for Conoco-Phillips in Bartlesville?
In a town the size of Bartlesville any sizeable number of white-collar jobs is significant. It's a shame the HQ is no longer there, but at least Phillips made sure not to totally abandon the place. Looking at the current numbers, it wouldn't surprise me if Phillips once did have 10,000 employees in Bartlesville. Currently, it looks like they have just under 3000.

Bartlesville Development Corporation | Largest Employers

Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,632,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obuchiteck View Post
What am I getting myself into? I might be working for a company in Bartlesville and I wanted to get an idea of what I’m getting into, where to live, eat, and so on.

Bartlesville/Tulsa area is going to become prime desirable real estate in the near future , if you are hired go for it.

Me and my family are from Chicago and love food, music, beer, and football. From my research it looks like Owasso is the place to live, but are there other choices?

Tulsa/Broken Arrow has about 7 venues with World Class Entertainment...The Only World Class Arena in Oklahoma BOK Center...Cain's Ballroom World Class..Mabee Center...Brady Theater...Tulsa Hard Rock Hotel/Cafe and many Sports Bars....just make certain that You Have A Designated Driver My Friend.

First, where to live? I’m looking for neighborhoodie type of places. Somewhere where I won’t feel that I’m out in the sticks. I like parks, and to be a cheep cab ride home from a bar if necessary. Speaking of pubs, are there any open on Sunday? I have to watch football, and would prefer to do it at a sports bar. What are the different areas of Bartlesville?

Just Like TULSA BARTLESVILLE was built by OIL BARONS and is far beyond what you could possibly think or dream that a place in Oklahoma could have. Oklahoma City on the other hand was built by the tax payer dollars raised from their's own self imposed taxes.
http://www.cityofbartlesville.org/category.php?cat=1039

I’ll think of other stuff later. My brain is a bit fried from a busy day. Thanks for any response. I’ll try to be more coherent tomorrow.
If you have mental toughness like those that go into the Military you should have no problems , because Bartlesville isn't that bad "they even have PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION NOW" I hope you enjoy your stay , and when you go to the Tulsa Sports Bar...get that designated drive you hear.

Bartlesville Public Transportatyon Link
A Quarter Buys A Ride On New Bartlesville Bus Service - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma