Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,721,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
Wow- was browsing City-Data looking for small, pleasant, conservative and "unspoiled" towns to live in. I think I just found my dream city- Bartlesville!
Why not make it Stillwater and be fairly close to both Tulsa and Oklahoma City at the same time? Besides, Bartlesville doesn't have a Best Buy or a Texas Roadhouse. Unlike Bartlesville, Stillwater has a Belk store. It a better place to shop for men's clothing than JCPenney. Also Stillwater has two Super Wal-Marts. So if one doesn't have what you want, maybe the other one will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,929,459 times
Who needs a Best Buy or Texas Roadhouse? Bartlesville has a Hastings!! Not to mention, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings.

I personally think that Bartlesville is a lot prettier than Stillwater. And it has a more urban feel downtown. And housing is slightly cheaper. And it's still only like 40 minutes or less from Tulsa.

It is very very Protestant though. There is a much more Protestant/Christian vibe going in Bartlesville to me than Stillwater. Which is good or bad, depending on the person.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Stillwater also has a big Hastings. One of the biggest things that Bartlesville has that Stillwater doesn't is an enclosed shopping mall. Bartlesville's Community Center is unique for a city its size. Stillwater has to try to make do with it's old junior high school for a community center.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 PM

31 posts, read 95,884 times
I lived in Bartlesville for 18 years and have gone back for visits to see family every two years. If Oklahoma is all you've known your probably fine, but if you are coming from a big city or from an area of skiing and high adventure such as mountainous areas you will be really disappointed. I would never move back to Bartlesville. Its really a po-dunk type of town compared to the places I've lived all over the US. I know I'll get some flak from saying this, but by far it has more obese people than anywhere I've been. If you don't believe me, just walk into Wal-Mart. Its probably because the weather is so freakin hot people are sitting by the air-conditioner drinking beer and eating twinkies all day. Its despressing for me and has radically changed from the years I lived there from the 1950's 70's. Even my folks (in their 80's) have wanted to move away because the town is not the one they once knew....really gone down hill. People are friendly, but there isn't a lot to do and the city hasn't much to offer in my opinion....better to move closer to tulsa where there is more with just about everything. Owasso is a good choice. Skiatook Lake is close and is a great lake that I look forward to going to each year in that area.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 AM

Yeah, I reckon it can be easily said that Bartlesville just isn't what it used to be like back in the days when up to 10,000 people worked there for Phillips Petroleum.

Surely Wal-Mart is well known in most places for having fat people. After all, it sells food. Speaking of fat people, they make me go on a guilt trip when I go to a popular restaurant, to name two of them, the Texas Roadhouse and Sirloin Stockade, and see a lot of them around with bellies sticking out real big. I end up telling myself, if you really want to lose a few pounds, why the hell are in a place like this? Compounding things, I'm not a fussy eater and tend to finish my plate. To counter it, I sometimes like to go to large parks for long walks or jogging, where fat people are a rare sight.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-16-2012 at 12:54 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,633,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Who needs a Best Buy or Texas Roadhouse? Bartlesville has a Hastings!! Not to mention, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings.

I personally think that Bartlesville is a lot prettier than Stillwater. And it has a more urban feel downtown. And housing is slightly cheaper. And it's still only like 40 minutes or less from Tulsa.

It is very very Protestant though. There is a much more Protestant/Christian vibe going in Bartlesville to me than Stillwater. Which is good or bad, depending on the person.
Bartlesville is not 40 Minutes away from Tulsa OK ( North Tulsa ) is only a quick 15 to 20 Minutes away.....

Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,815,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Bartlesville is not 40 Minutes away from Tulsa OK ( North Tulsa ) is only a quick 15 to 20 Minutes away.....
Perhaps if you're going 120mph. It's a good 45 miles. You've never made it from Bville to Tulsa in 15 mins without major law violations.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,153 times
Don't move here. More churches than gas stations, stuck up, pretentious, church going, hypocrites, that think they are wealthy cause they make 50, 000 a year. Absolutely zero options for food, it's either fast food, or bland early bird special stuff. The only place to have a beer on Sunday is buffalo wild wings. You will have to put up with the MMA wannabe thugs, that frequent the place to enjoy some processed food and bud light, after a tough day cooking in one of the many meth labs in town. The yup that was making comments about Tulsa, and OKC being small, is not very informed or just being to self depreciative of the state. OKC and Tulsa are much larger than most cities you hear, or know of being large quite often. There is a lot more to do in those towns than anywhere else in the state. You can get strong beer in any pub in OKC or Tulsa, even on Sunday. Usually a busy day at the pubs on Sunday. The murder rate is low in Bartlesville, but Tulsa has one of the highest crime rates and murder rates in the nation. OKC is not far behind. Oklahoma in general is high on all crime rates. Did I mention the people are the rudest I've ever been around. They will judge you if you don't work for P66, don't go to church, don't go to the right church, or don't live in a cheaply built, mass produced house in the Posh division of colonial. Pffffft. These people live in fantasy land. Be prepared to be told you're a sinner and heathen, by someone chugging pisswater beer, high on meth and prescription pills on Saturday night, cause they found out you're not going to church in the morning to repent, like they will be doing. I've heard this from guys and girls. Steer clear of this town!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Longrod View Post
Don't move here. More churches than gas stations, stuck up, pretentious, church going, hypocrites, that think they are wealthy cause they make 50, 000 a year. Absolutely zero options for food, it's either fast food, or bland early bird special stuff. The only place to have a beer on Sunday is buffalo wild wings. You will have to put up with the MMA wannabe thugs, that frequent the place to enjoy some processed food and bud light, after a tough day cooking in one of the many meth labs in town. The yup that was making comments about Tulsa, and OKC being small, is not very informed or just being to self depreciative of the state. OKC and Tulsa are much larger than most cities you hear, or know of being large quite often. There is a lot more to do in those towns than anywhere else in the state. You can get strong beer in any pub in OKC or Tulsa, even on Sunday. Usually a busy day at the pubs on Sunday. The murder rate is low in Bartlesville, but Tulsa has one of the highest crime rates and murder rates in the nation. OKC is not far behind. Oklahoma in general is high on all crime rates. Did I mention the people are the rudest I've ever been around. They will judge you if you don't work for P66, don't go to church, don't go to the right church, or don't live in a cheaply built, mass produced house in the Posh division of colonial. Pffffft. These people live in fantasy land. Be prepared to be told you're a sinner and heathen, by someone chugging pisswater beer, high on meth and prescription pills on Saturday night, cause they found out you're not going to church in the morning to repent, like they will be doing. I've heard this from guys and girls. Steer clear of this town!
And you had to become a forum member to post the above stereotypical crud of how everyone is supposed to act. Since you mentioned Phillips 66, I wonder how outdated your stereotypical views are?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:14 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,350,993 times
I would say if you are accustomed to towns the size of Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Boston, NYC, then yes, Tulsa and OKC will seem small by comparison. There is also a culture shock as OK is not only NOT densely packed there is a hundred miles between the two cities. Geographically the Eastern half of the state is much different than the Western half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma