Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 09:39 PM

141 posts, read 752,244 times

Advertisements

Will the Ohio BMV require me to show proof of residency when I change my current Florida license for an Ohio license? I'm concerned because I am currently living with family and can't show the usual proofs of residency (a lease, an electric bill, etc.).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:27 PM

54 posts, read 264,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
Will the Ohio BMV require me to show proof of residency when I change my current Florida license for an Ohio license? I'm concerned because I am currently living with family and can't show the usual proofs of residency (a lease, an electric bill, etc.).
You should be ok with just the Florida license. I moved here from Florida and went right in to the DMV in Columbus gave them my FL license.

They will ask for proof of Ohio insurance if you are getting license plates.
So get that before going to the DMV or they will turn you away and tell you to come back with Ohio proof of insurance. Plus having Ohio insurance is your proof of residency for anything else you may need to provide residency proof for....
I recommend getting Ohio plates to match your license or you will be tickted if stopped for anything by the police after being here a certain amount of time and not getting your car registered here. The only way to avoid such a fine is if you are going to college here. You can tell the 5-0 that but if they ask for college ID and your not in college then you'll have an issue

Welcome to Ohio

Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM

313 posts, read 1,194,994 times
You have to get an Ohio Plate, tags, title and insurance as well as your OH license. That will require you a trip to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. FOr my husband and I accomplishing those things required 6 trips and about 3-4 hours of our time. It was NOT a user friendly process.

Check out the State of Ohio website for all of the information that you will need to prepare yourself for your many adventures... Just be aware that all under the same roof does not equal all the same hours or acceptable forms of payment.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,608 times
This site tells you all you need to know.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:58 PM

I just got my Ohio license yesterday.Just so everyone knows, I was not asked to show proof of residency. They just asked for my address, and I gave it to them. I did have to take the written driver's exam. As one poster stated, it is not a user friendly process. I spent all afternoon getting my license, and I have not yet transferred over my vehicle registrations.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:45 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
Quote:
I just got my Ohio license yesterday.Just so everyone knows, I was not asked to show proof of residency. They just asked for my address, and I gave it to them. I did have to take the written driver's exam. As one poster stated, it is not a user friendly process. I spent all afternoon getting my license, and I have not yet transferred over my vehicle registrations.
what kind of a test and what type of questions do they ask ? red means stop....what if you fail?
so it is safe to drive ohio streets with a out of state license but you aren't safe until you take a ohio test??????

Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 AM

313 posts, read 1,194,994 times
You did better than us, getting your license in one outing... Congrats! I was deeply saddened when they made me give them my MI license. It was much prettier than my OH license and I have all my other expired and non-working MI's. (I have them in a nostalgic-- document the size changes in my hair and eyebrows sort of way-- not creepy for bad purposes sort of way.)

Also if you have a lease vehicle, prepare for much more time and trouble... You'll have to fill out forms for the State to get the original title from the company that holds the loan-- for us it was Chrysler financial-- and that takes a few weeks.

Also, we ended up having to pay tax to the State of OH on the cars that we purchased in MI. Apparently there was something about a discrepancy in sales tax or something. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think it was in the neighborhood of $1800-- but that might have been for both of our cars. Thankfully, for that, they will take a personal check.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Do they do car inspections in Michigan? I know people in PA and NC complain about them there. Obviously we do not have them here in OH.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 PM

They do inspect out of state cars in Ohio. Not for safety, but in order to verify the VIN number and make sure it isn't stolen.For this, they charge $3.50.

Most questions on the "written" test (actually given on a computer) are common sense questions about signs and rights-of-way. You can miss up to ten questions and still pass (out of 40). I missed 6 questions, all of which pertained to specific Ohio statutes on drunk driving, window tinting, seatbelts, etc. The computer does tell you the correct answer after you miss a question.

I'm not sure what they do if you fail.

You can drive on an out-of-state license for 30 days after moving to Ohio. After that you're violating the law.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
They do inspect out of state cars in Ohio. Not for safety, but in order to verify the VIN number and make sure it isn't stolen.For this, they charge $3.50.

Most questions on the "written" test (actually given on a computer) are common sense questions about signs and rights-of-way. You can miss up to ten questions and still pass (out of 40). I missed 6 questions, all of which pertained to specific Ohio statutes on drunk driving, window tinting, seatbelts, etc. The computer does tell you the correct answer after you miss a question.

I'm not sure what they do if you fail.

You can drive on an out-of-state license for 30 days after moving to Ohio. After that you're violating the law.
Interesting... Where did you move from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: