Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by george capo View Post
if you have a suspened license in another state can you still get a license in ohio?
I hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I hope not.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george capo View Post
if you have a suspened license in another state can you still get a license in ohio?
NO! Ohio is very strict about that, thank God.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Looks like you wasted an afternoon for nothing.

When I changed my PA license to an OH license, I missed like 4 questions, all of the Ohio-related crap. It's not like I carried an OH driver license brochure with me when I lived in Pennsylvania.
We will be moving there from PA. can you get the OH driver's license brochure from? Looks like I might want to get my hands on one ASAP.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We will be moving there from PA. can you get the OH driver's license brochure from? Looks like I might want to get my hands on one ASAP.
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/

Click on the [+] beside Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws, then choose your language. The book is in Adobe Acrobat format.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,243 times
I went to the bureau and for transferring my license from PA to OH, the woman required besides my PA license my birth certificate, marriage license, and a utility bill with our current address. Because my husband originally had 2 last names and it is on our marriage license, she refused to issue my license. She says that, even though I always use my husband's 1st last name(and he dropped the other when he became a U.S. citizen) and it is that way on both my PA license and my SS card, I would still have to either get a letter stating the discrepancy or change everything! She even called Columbus and they said that. I plan to go to another office. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Lots of people have that problem. In order to drop a portion of a surname, you must obtain a court order to do it. All you would need to do is provide the court order document. If he dropped the name legally, you should be able to easily obtain that document. They are not being unreasonable here. Your legal name is what it is.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
To transfer your license from another state to Ohio, do you need a birth certificate or will turning in your old license and proof of residency be enough?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,541 times
When I moved to Ohio in 2009 I had to take the written test, surrender my Tennessee license, show proof of residency, and provide proof of Insurance. It took 2-3 hours to get this all done in 1 day.

When I moved to Tennessee in 2006 all I needed was my birth certificate, SS card, and my Florida license. They didn't even ask for proof of residency or even proof of insurance (I had it with me) when I got my plates. It was the easiest process I had ever experienced at a DMV. I was in and out in like 5 minutes.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
^^ That's because the TN BMV apparently doesn't care about anything.

You only need to take the written test in OH if you had a restriction on your out of state license. It's usually waived if your out of state license is valid.

ODPS | BMV | Acceptable Identification Documents

Driver License Rules & Regulations
Ohio Administrative Code Section 4501:1-1-19, 21, 22
In order to obtain any Ohio Temporary Instruction Permit Card (TIPIC), Driver License, Commercial Driver License, State of Ohio Identification (ID) card, Motorcycle, Moped license, the customer must present documents to prove all of the following five elements: (1) Applicant's full legal name shall consist of the applicant's current first (given) name, middle name, and last name (surname) without the use of initials or nicknames; (2) Date of birth; (3) Social Security Number (SSN), if ever assigned; (4) U.S. citizenship OR U.S. legal presence; and (5) Resident street address in Ohio.

To obtain a duplicate of any of the above, the applicant must sign a statement that the original was lost or stolen, present one primary OR one secondary document, match the photograph on file and all five elements in the BMV system. If any of the five elements do not match the BMV system, the applicant must present an acceptable document to prove the mismatched element.

An Ohio TIPIC, driver license, CDL, ID card, motorcycle or moped license either current or expired for less than six months is sufficient proof of all elements for any BMV transaction (including co-signers) and no further proof is necessary.

Only original documents or a copy bearing an original certification by the issuing authority are acceptable. Uncertified copies or copies of certified documents are not acceptable. Failure to prove all 5 required identification elements shall result in the denial of the application.

Applicant's full legal name shall consist of the applicant's current first (given) name, middle name, and last name (surname) without the use of initials or nickname. If the primary and secondary documents presented do not establish the applicant’s full legal name, or the names on the documents are inconsistent, the applicant shall present additional documents to establish the full legal name to the satisfaction of the registrar or deputy registrar. The following documents shall be acceptable for this purpose: a marriage certificate or marriage license; a certified copy of a decree of divorce, dissolution, or annulment of marriage; or a certified copy of a court ordered name change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: