Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:11 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times

Advertisements

I remember about 10 yrs. ago my parents took my brother and I to Sea World in Ohio. I can't remember what city it was? Any ways I visited the Sea World website and they say there is no Ohio Location? I'm just wondering what ever happened?

Thanks, Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
Sea World of Ohio used to be in Aurora near Cleveland. I used to enjoy going there as a kid as well. I think they may have left about 10 years ago now. It all happened when Six Flags bought Geauga Lake and Sea World. A few years back they sold the combined parks to Cedar Fair (Cedar Point, Knotts Berry Farm) and at the end of last year Cedar Fair closed Geauga Lake and from what i understand, the only thing left is a water park on the Sea World side.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:06 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
Sea World and Geauga Lake were in Aurora for many years. They were bought by Six Flags and run into the ground. Six Flags didn't do animals, so they closed down the Sea World portion. They then sold everything to Cedarfair. That's the same company that owns Cedar Point, and Knott's Berry Farm. They changed the name back to Geauga Lake, and managed to run the park even farther into the ground. It is closed and everything was auctioned off last week. Most of it was sold for scrap. It's possible that the water slides will still be open, but I'm not sure. This was all a great loss for our area.

Hi Cortlandgirl. You beat me to the enter button.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:32 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
I hate to hear that. I have a little sister who has never been to Sea World. Ohio is a much easier place to drive than Florida.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
There is the newport aquarium just over the river by Cincy but it is nothing like the Sea WOrld which used to be up north. I was a single mom for a long time and those short trips which didnt have to involve an overnight was a high demand for me. My son and I went every year until it closed. My favorite photo we took was the dolphin glass wall...he would stand in front of it and we would wait for the dolphins to swim up and take a photo. It was a great day trip..thanks for bringing up some good memories ( I need them now that he is a grumpling teenager LOL)

Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 240,174 times
I used to work For SeaWorld of Ohio back in the early 1980's, when I was in college. Unfortunately, it was at night hosing down the stadiums and walkways. I went there when I was a kid. My fathers work (Lincoln Electric) had their company picnic there since they opened. After I was married a few years we moved down to S. Carolina for a few years and we visited SeaWorld of Florida. It was more Grand that the one in Ohio. This Year (2010) our family is going down to See the mouse in Florida thru Make A Wish Foundation. We might go over and see Sea world Again.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 238,857 times
SeaWorld of Orlando is a wonderful park. I have been there three times in the past decade. It never disappoints. I have never been to the Texas or California parks (or the Ohio park, before it was bought-out by Six Flags)... so I can't compare the Florida park to the others. I do know that the Florida park is a better value when compared to the Baltimore, MD-aquarium and the Myrtle Beach, SC-aquarium.

And, of course, the added benefit is having several other theme parks in the same city too! You'll never run out of things to do in Orlando and it can be a very economical trip during the off-season ("value" season as Disney calls it). In the past, I've stayed in 2-3 star-rated moderate hotels for less than $50/night in nearby Kissimmee, FL during the off-season. They even offered free transportation to the parks and free breakfast!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
There is the newport aquarium just over the river by Cincy but it is nothing like the Sea WOrld
True but that is a pretty good aquarium.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
I miss Sea World. I worked there for just one year, the final year it was open, 2000. Six Flags bought the park in 2001 and really did a number on it to the point that they sold it just a few years later to Cedar Fair taking a huge hit. As someone who worked for all three parks in a span of five years, Sea World/Anheuser-Busch was far and away the best management to work for. Rumor was that they wanted to unload the Sea World Cleveland property because it didn't do as well as the other parks do to only being able to be open seasonally.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 216,918 times
Cleveland Sea world closed (2004) because it was to expensive, to operate a park for 4 months out of the year. Its was at its best when Anhieser Bush owned it (spelled wrong) and then 6 Flags bought it, and it was going down hill from that point on. They owned to many parks and couldn't run most of them, so they let them go out of business. One year they didn't even have a whale (why do you think people came there?) to see the whale. I remember when they opened it was the place to go and they kept adding things, (Shark encounter) ( the 3D theater) ( the Tiger exhbit) (Penguin encounter), ( the were even talking about rides) and then stopped, doing any thing, just let things fall appart. Some time is not a good idea to let big companies buy other companies, only to run them out of business, and take their profits else where. Way to go 6 Flags, and Cedar Fair, now its just a water park there

Last edited by kan_simcak; 02-26-2011 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: spelled wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio