Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 03:40 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,391,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It does, though Toledo’s is on another level. The latter very well might be the best relative to the size of its city in the country (after the Norton Simon in Pasadena CA).
I'll have check it out. I've lived in Ohio my whole life, but that's the only major city in Ohio that I've never been to. It sounds like with the art museum, the acclaimed zoo, and the U of Toledo that Toledo has some very nice amenities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Middletown is not a dump. It has suffered its share of difficulties but is at about it's highest population with tons of new development. Years ago the city had the highest percentage of section 8 housing in Ohio. After years of nego, the city struck a deal with HUD to slash the number of vouchers in the city in half.

That was the key for the revitalization you are now seeing. The restaurant/bar scene in particular has really exploded in the last few years.

Cracked Pot Creperie (amazing!!)
primo Italian Steakhouse (considered as good as any in Cincy/Dayton)
Combs BbQ, ranked Ohio's best bbq joint
Brett's Smokin Butts BBQ
Mz. Jades Soul Food (she just opened a second location in Sharonville
Cancun's
The Meadows, gourmet Chinese, along with steaks/salmon and ridiculous desserts
N.E.W. Ales Brewery
Gravel Road Brewery, a new brewery that just opened
Fig Leaf Brewery
White Dog Distillery
Taku Japanese Steakhouse.
Hectors Taco Shop
Shaddocks Pizza
The Jug, a century-old amazing burger joint
House of Hunan, one of the best Chinese joints I've come across
Irie Smoothies just opened and is crazy popular
And my favorite...
ElGrillo, an authentic family-owned Mexican joint that does a Pozole as good as anything I ever had in my three years in Guadalajara.

Not bad for a city derided as a dump by folks like you.

The housing market in Middletown is about as hot as anywhere in Ohio. Some 600 luxury apartments are either under construction or in the pipeline near 75. Hundreds of older homes are being renovated/flipped...and it is only a matter of time before new downtown residential projects will be announced. (Central avenue downtown recently underwent a total rebuild btw...I urge you to drive it and see the changes to the cityscape.

Middletown is in the sweet spot...in the middle of the CBD Metroplex. It is destined for further growth.
How is the housing project in the Art Deco-style tower at, I believe it's Central and Main, doing? I read about that a couple of years ago...I haven't been to the Middie City in awhile...but that sounded like a really first-rate project. I saw some pictures of the Sorg renovations...both the mansion and the theater..that were breathtaking!
Agreed... Middletown is NOT a dump...last time I was there over a year ago I saw a lot of energy...I didn't really get out into the neighborhoods but the storefronts on Central have been filling up! And there has been a lot of development occuring on the side of town by the interstate as well.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Middletown is not a dump. It has suffered its share of difficulties but is at about it's highest population with tons of new development. Years ago the city had the highest percentage of section 8 housing in Ohio. After years of nego, the city struck a deal with HUD to slash the number of vouchers in the city in half.

That was the key for the revitalization you are now seeing. The restaurant/bar scene in particular has really exploded in the last few years.

Cracked Pot Creperie (amazing!!)
primo Italian Steakhouse (considered as good as any in Cincy/Dayton)
Combs BbQ, ranked Ohio's best bbq joint
Brett's Smokin Butts BBQ
Mz. Jades Soul Food (she just opened a second location in Sharonville
Cancun's
The Meadows, gourmet Chinese, along with steaks/salmon and ridiculous desserts
N.E.W. Ales Brewery
Gravel Road Brewery, a new brewery that just opened
Fig Leaf Brewery
White Dog Distillery
Taku Japanese Steakhouse.
Hectors Taco Shop
Shaddocks Pizza
The Jug, a century-old amazing burger joint
House of Hunan, one of the best Chinese joints I've come across
Irie Smoothies just opened and is crazy popular
And my favorite...
ElGrillo, an authentic family-owned Mexican joint that does a Pozole as good as anything I ever had in my three years in Guadalajara.

Not bad for a city derided as a dump by folks like you.

The housing market in Middletown is about as hot as anywhere in Ohio. Some 600 luxury apartments are either under construction or in the pipeline near 75. Hundreds of older homes are being renovated/flipped...and it is only a matter of time before new downtown residential projects will be announced. (Central avenue downtown recently underwent a total rebuild btw...I urge you to drive it and see the changes to the cityscape.

Middletown is in the sweet spot...in the middle of the CBD Metroplex. It is destined for further growth.
How is the housing project in the Art Deco-style twe at, I believe it's Central and Main doing? I rsaw that building being renovated about a year or two ago...I haven't been to the Middie City since, but that looked like a really first-rate project. I saw some pictures of the Sorg renovations...both the mansion and the theater..that were breathtaking!
Agreed... Middletown is NOT a dump...last time I was there over a year ago I saw a lot of energy...I didn't really get out into the neighborhoods but the storefronts on Central have been filling up! And there has been a lot of development occuring on the side of town by the interstate as well.

Old 05-04-2024, 02:49 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,392,928 times
Unfortunately...that project is stalled. The four largest buildings downtown are all vacant, two of them are for sale. Not sure if the market is there for residential conversions but my guess is within a few years, all four will be undergoing renovations.

The Art Deco building if I recall had a major frozen pipe incident when renovation began. I believe the city is trying to get the developer to move forward or sell the building.

It is a gorgeous structure. Looking forward to it's rebirth.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
That was just one poster on the forum who was banned years ago.

It’s still a 55 mile drive that takes you from one region of the country to another.
"55 miles" lol

Maybe if you're going from Courthouse Square to Fountain Square. In reality, it's much much closer, and touching in places. Monroe, Lebanon, Springboro, Mason, Middletown - these are all congruent in the metro encompassing the two cities. I, for one, live in Centerville and work in Montgomery. I'm 30 miles to Kenwood (about the same distance as I am from the Dayton Airport). From the abundance of Cin-Day businesses and establishments that permeate both cities (Skyline, Larosa's, Dorothy Lane Market, Graeters, Kettering Health Network, Cincinnati Children's, radio stations, sports teams).

Sorry, I don't get at all your assertion of traveling "... from one region of the country to another." A ridiculous exaggeration at best.

Old Today, 01:26 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,156,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSheik View Post
"55 miles" lol

Maybe if you're going from Courthouse Square to Fountain Square. In reality, it's much much closer, and touching in places. Monroe, Lebanon, Springboro, Mason, Middletown - these are all congruent in the metro encompassing the two cities. I, for one, live in Centerville and work in Montgomery. I'm 30 miles to Kenwood (about the same distance as I am from the Dayton Airport). From the abundance of Cin-Day businesses and establishments that permeate both cities (Skyline, Larosa's, Dorothy Lane Market, Graeters, Kettering Health Network, Cincinnati Children's, radio stations, sports teams).

Sorry, I don't get at all your assertion of traveling "... from one region of the country to another." A ridiculous exaggeration at best.
30 miles of travel is still a lot. It's not going to be all freeway. It's typically a 45 minute trip because you have to take surface roads to get to your ultimate destination. That's still far.

Columbus is 110 miles to Cincinnati, maybe 80ish to the suburbs. 30 miles is 40% of the way there. That's far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio