Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:19 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times

Advertisements

How would you rank the 2nd tier Ohio cities based on the following:

-Economy
-Walkability
-Public transit
-Arts/culture
-Entertainment
-Food/Restaurants
-Education
-Parks/Outdoor recreation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Just based on my own perceptions (having never been to Dayton), I'd rank them, in terms of overall desirability:

Akron
Toledo
Dayton
Youngstown
Canton

Old 12-25-2015, 03:01 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Spent some time recently in canton. While I don't think I'd choose to live there with cleveland so close, but the downtown is kinda cool, the whole place is really quaint and charming. Hung out within my mom's childhood neighborhood and the people were super nice.

My aunt and uncle live in a pretty nice area of akron, Highland square. I think it's probably the best neighborhood in the "2nd tier" cities. Honestly wouldn't mind it in Cleveland.

I was in youngstown, albeit briefly, yesterday. Some areas immediately outside of downtown are pretty depressing, but the downtown isn't bad. However, I'd put akron and canton above it. Probably Akron first, then Canton. Don't have much Dayton experience, nor toledo.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:15 PM

Youngstown has some surprisingly nice areas that look like Cleveland Heights or Shaker Heights. They're starting to become blight-filled, which is too bad, but they still have a lot of character. Most houses in Akron and Canton don't have as much character in my opinion. Youngstown probably has the worst economy out of all the 2nd tier cities, but it has some of the best architectural bones. It's really more like Cleveland than Akron and Canton are, although it lacks the rebounding economy.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:16 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
I would rank Warren, Ohio above Youngstown. Warren also has far more opportunities for downtown development than Youngstown. Looks as though work has already started on downtown and there is a park with an amphitheater within walking distance. There is plenty of space for new buildings and nice old houses surrounding the main street and courthouse. From an outsider's perspective, it also seems as though the Warren community is more united in pride for their city and attempting organized revitalization. The more I visit Trumbull County, the more impressed I am. Niles, Howland, and Cortland were pleasant surprises.

I agree with the comment about Youngstown architecture. The housing stock is amazing and it is sad that many do no recognize what they have. The city has one of the best park systems in the country, strong suburbs, a downtown college, and a great downtown museum. There is a lot of potential there.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:28 PM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
I spent a fair amount of time in Toledo when my spouse was teaching at UT; we loved the place. Old Orchard, just north of the university, is one of the prettiest neighborhoods I have ever visited, and quite walkable. We lived just north of OO proper, and I walked to the university for research but also to shops, restaurants, a public library branch, and a nice city park. The Harvard Terrace area and the Old West End are also quite lovely, and we were impressed with the metroparks and botanical gardens.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:34 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I'd say Toledo and Dayton lead the pack, followed by Akron, then Youngstown & Canton. Dayton has the biggest metro, but I'd say Toledo has more culture and definitely the best art museum. One thing Dayton does do well, and that's brew beer.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'd say Toledo and Dayton lead the pack, followed by Akron, then Youngstown & Canton. Dayton has the biggest metro, but I'd say Toledo has more culture and definitely the best art museum. One thing Dayton does do well, and that's brew beer.
I agree with the above. I live in Toledo but have visited all the cities above. Toledo has a lot of walkability and a lot of various high quality attractions like the zoo and a pretty vibrant theater scene. I also like Dayton and actually, I'd probably but both Toledo and Dayton as a tie at the top as I think Dayton has better roads (last time I went I could tell they had done some repaving).

But Toledo has some great neighborhoods. Old Orchard was mentioned above, there is Westmoreland, and Old West End and even the older, more blighted Vistula is looking better than it used to. We have a great metro park system here and Lake Erie even though we got the green end of the lake in the summer now-a-days due to algae.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Let's add that the merging of Dayton with Cincinnati has given it a decided advantage over the other 2nd tier cities, "CIN-DAY" now being Ohio's powerful aerospace-corridor.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Let's add that the merging of Dayton with Cincinnati has given it a decided advantage over the other 2nd tier cities, "CIN-DAY" now being Ohio's powerful aerospace-corridor.
I wasn't aware that Dayton had merged with Cincinnati . Can we say Akron and Canton have merged with Cleveland, since they share the same TV market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio