Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2024, 10:58 AM

10,785 posts, read 5,702,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
But aren't we arguing that all people are in danger who don't own firearms? Should I expect to be murdered at some point due to my lack of ownership?
That's not an argument that I'm making.

However, an argument that I would make is that if you ever find yourself on the verge of being murdered, you will likely wish that you had a gun, or some other meaningful weapon with which to defend yourself.

Gun ownership is uniquely personal. If you don't want to own one, I would never try to compel you to do so. I would just ask for the same consideration from you, and that you don't try to prevent me from owning one.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 01-10-2024 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Who is "we"? Only a few small groups of people- like the Puritans- originally came due to not getting along in their home countries. The vast majority of people came for new opportunities, economics, etc., especially after the US actually formed as a nation. And aren't you just arguing that Americans- coming from so many different places and ancestries- are actually representative of the greater world and its people? That would definitely not support that Americans are uniquely violent people because "Americans" come from everywhere.

It's not the nationality, it's the tolerance of violence- but especially gun violence- that makes the US unique. But I would argue that based on polling, most people- including most gun owners- actually support gun control and regulations like training, background checks, magazine limitations, etc. So I'm not even sure if it's tolerance of gun violence so much as we are being held hostage by special interests who make billions on creating a culture of fear.
If you'd like to be intellectually honest and discuss such infringements on things like voting, that would be very interesting. But of you're only willing to consider such infringements on one's constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms, then get of here with that nonsense. . .

Old 01-10-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
You can't really compare states, though, because people can easily cross borders to purchase guns when laws are not federal. Also, why are you comparing overall homicide rates caused by all causes to gun ownership rates? Why wouldn't you compare gun-related homicides only to gun ownership rates?
Gun purchase laws across state lines are Federal. You can't go to a neighboring state and legally purchase a handgun.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Because it's generally asinine to report on an absence of something except for when it contextualizes the very thing it opposes. E.g., you would normally not attempt to prove that you didn't kill someone until you're accused of doing that.
So do you understand why cheech14's point is a non-issue?

Old 01-10-2024, 11:30 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,171,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
So do you understand why cheech14's point is a non-issue?
How does that follow from what I wrote?

Old 01-10-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
How does that follow from what I wrote?
The question is both clear and germane to the discussion. If you don't understand it, or don't want to answer it, that's OK.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:10 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,171,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The question is both clear and germane to the discussion. If you don't understand it, or don't want to answer it, that's OK.
I literally explained, in the second sentence of my response, how it's germane to the discussion and how it directly contradicts what you think it says.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:22 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,251,418 times
Oh...just because more anecdotes are cool..

https://www.theblaze.com/news/phoeni...er-door-jenele

Old 01-10-2024, 12:25 PM

4,678 posts, read 4,996,745 times
Quote:
You seem really hung up on American football being some kind of blood sport.

I think all of humanity overall has the same basic tendency towards violence. Other factors make the expression of that violence more or less likely, but humanity is not different in one country versus the other all things being equal, no.
Nope, you seem hung up on a notion that American football -- which, to state the obvious, was invented here and enjoys a unique level of popularity here -- isn't actually a particularly violent game. Which is a silly notion, and plus, it's not the only example I gave (or could give) of violence endemic in American culture.

Humanity doesn't have "the same basic tendency towards violence" even across the whole of Cuyahoga County, Ohio, let alone the entire globe. There are many reasons for that, and we probably don't need to go into them.

But I will say that when you start from a simple-minded, garbage assumption like "every country should have pretty much the same murder rate," (not quoting you directly, but just re-stating the implication you're making), you're going to arrive at garbage conclusions.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:30 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,251,418 times
Some of you guys who are ignorant of the results of gun control and eventual confiscation should look up the term useful idiots, its eye opening actually that its a thing but it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio