Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 02:29 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,245,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You're cute to think that you aren't. At least my "agenda and narrative" (for the sake of argument, let's say that's what my opinions are) are just my own. I wouldn't be too sure about you.
Correct, my opinions are rooted in the second amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 03:05 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Correct, my opinions are rooted in the second amendment.
Not really sure what you're even responding to anymore.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am just tired out reading this thread.
If only there was something you could do about that...

Old 01-10-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Not really sure what you're even responding to anymore.
I wouldnt expecrt you to, your confirmation bias wont allow you to understand.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt expecrt you to, your confirmation bias wont allow you to understand.
Co-opting yet more terms you don't know the meaning of, I see.

For the record - and, clearly, despite what you think - I'm not anti-gun ownership, so even if you were using the term correctly, that bias would not be in play here. I'm pro-responsibility, more stringent background and mental history checks and actual enforcement of gun laws. How's that sit with you?

Last edited by highlanderfil; 01-10-2024 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-10-2024, 05:13 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
You can't really compare states, though, because people can easily cross borders to purchase guns when laws are not federal.
Why not? I was comparing whether access to guns within the household makes a difference in homicides. The vast majority of homicides aren't "I'm gonna kill someone, let me buy a gun first". It's general a fairly brash decision. With gang violence, they will have guns, purchased illegally, regardless of what gun laws are.

With domestic violence, if it leads to death, it's almost always an abusive male losing their temper, and they would be capable of killing their spouse with a knife, bludgeon or even their bare hands. And if it's an abusive ex husband/boyfriend, the woman would have the chance to buy a gun and even the playing field if the man decides to violate the restraining order.

Quote:
Also, why are you comparing overall homicide rates caused by all causes to gun ownership rates? Why wouldn't you compare gun-related homicides only to gun ownership rates?
Because there is a case to be made that if someone can't kill another person with a gun, they'll find some other way to kill them.

In Canada, only 3% of homicides are committed using legally owned guns, even though 22% of households have access to a gun, and legal gun owners are 3x less likely to commit a murder than the general population.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I'm pro-responsibility, more stringent background and mental history checks and actual enforcement of gun laws. How's that sit with you?
As am I and there are enough rules on law abiding citizens at this point. I agree that actual enforcement of gun laws would be key: existing gun laws. My point is go after the criminals and leave non-criminals alone.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Because there is a case to be made that if someone can't kill another person with a gun, they'll find some other way to kill them.
Yes! except when I mentioned that one participant moved the goal posts from gun crime being down, to who does mass shootings with knives and bats? type illogic.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Yes! except when I mentioned that one participant moved the goal posts from gun crime being down, to who does mass shootings with knives and bats? type illogic.
And now, with the highlighted phrase, you've achieved full BS bingo. Not really sure what this latest lie accomplishes for you though - there are receipts all over the past 11 pages of this thread. I didn't actually bring up knives and bats - you did. All I did was point out back to you that the way gun crime (which is absolutely a term that exists, no matter how much you'd like to convince yourself and try to convince us of the opposite) is different from violence committed with any other potentially lethal weapon is in guns' ability to cause multiple deaths over a short period of time. Otherwise, I agree both with you and memph - if someone really wants to kill someone or at least try to do so, it can be achieved with things other than guns. A gun just makes it easier.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 01-10-2024 at 06:37 PM..

Old 01-10-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
When it comes to single-victim murders - sure, you're probably right. (I won't argue that stabbing or bludgeoning someone to death requires a vastly different mental and physical effort than just pulling the trigger of a gun - let's just assume, for the sake of argument that they are equally easy to pull off.) But not when it comes to ones with mass/multiple victims (who account for about 12% of total murder victims - a rather non-trivial number). Furthermore, your odds of running away from or fighting off someone trying to kill you with anything other than a firearm are orders of magnitude better than if a gun is involved.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 01-10-2024 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio