Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 09:23 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times

Advertisements

I thought CCW laws were just fine as is. Any citizen within reason could apply for a permit to carry a firearm on their person with a weekend’s worth of safety training. Something many states out there still don’t allow. But no, the virtue signaling, culture warrior party couldn’t leave well enough alone and had to allow all guns anywhere with no restrictions. What could go wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 10:15 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
Discuss them in what way? They are not hypothetical, they are real. Most voting restrictions today are methods to prevent people from voting and participating in the democratic system that threatens certain political groups and outcomes. And you'll never guess which side tends to support those restrictions.

Gun regulations, at least in terms of what most people support, are not about preventing people from owning guns, so I don't really see them being the same thing. So, I don't think you have the gotcha on your hands you think you do.
This is what you said that started this line of discussion. You seem to have forgotten it, so here it is. Note the highlight:

Quote:
It's not the nationality, it's the tolerance of violence- but especially gun violence- that makes the US unique. But I would argue that based on polling, most people- including most gun owners- actually support gun control and regulations like training, background checks, magazine limitations, etc. So I'm not even sure if it's tolerance of gun violence so much as we are being held hostage by special interests who make billions on creating a culture of fear.
We can disregard magazine capacity limitations for purposes of this discussion as there is nothing really analogous in the voting realm, but the other two are perfectly appropriate.

Would you support a requirement of mandatory education for prospective voters? How about mandatory background checks as a requirement? Would these restrictions be acceptable to you, or are those restrictions only acceptable when placed on gun owners?

Quote:
There are only a handful of reasons people are dead-set against any kind of gun regulations- 1. Because they believe they're going to stop a tyrannical government one day, 2. They're going to stop a bad guy from harming others, or 3. They're going to stop a bad guy from harming them.
I don’t really care if you answer the question or not, but what you wrote above is a non-answer.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Eliminating training requirements is just entirely asinine, for example. People should be familiar and trained in how to handle a potentially deadly weapon, especially if the claim about self-defense is not entirely BS. Yet too many states have done this. Let's start with that and go from there.
So, training requirements is the answer? Why? Do you evidence to share to support that, or do you just have a warm fuzzy inside of you, telling that that’s going be a significant positive?

How will you get around the 2nd amendment protections?

Old 01-10-2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
My mistake. Confused you for another poster whose handle starts with a "T"; unfortunately, not for the first time in the last few days.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
If you feel like the danger is so high that you must carry a firearm at all times, it just means that your potential response to perceived danger is going to be more drastic. It's arguably not a healthy assumption to expect a deadly threat at all times, and I can't imagine it leaves people like that in a good frame of mind when a threat- real or perceived- presents itself. Simply put, you're more likely to use your gun because you expect there to eventually be a reason to have to use it.
Do you have evidence that supports the above conclusions?

Old 01-11-2024, 05:37 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
https://www.toddstarnes.com/crime/i-...-with-robbers/

Old 01-11-2024, 07:43 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I don't have a strong opinion on this. I'm just glad that crime didn't increase, generally.

If we're talking about common sense, common sense tells me that more guns would equal more shooting. So, I don't buy that lower gun crime is linked to constitutional carry.
As long as the right ones (the criminals) get shot.
And yes, the presence of guns in the law-abiding citizens’ hands do deter criminals.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:46 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
This is what you said that started this line of discussion. You seem to have forgotten it, so here it is. Note the highlight:

We can disregard magazine capacity limitations for purposes of this discussion as there is nothing really analogous in the voting realm, but the other two are perfectly appropriate.

Would you support a requirement of mandatory education for prospective voters? How about mandatory background checks as a requirement? Would these restrictions be acceptable to you, or are those restrictions only acceptable when placed on gun owners?

I don’t really care if you answer the question or not, but what you wrote above is a non-answer.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
I can think of multiple ways to reduce gun violence and the overall number of guns available.
So give me some examples of laws you think we should apply to law abiding citizens.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:07 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I thought CCW laws were just fine as is. Any citizen within reason could apply for a permit to carry a firearm on their person with a weekend’s worth of safety training. Something many states out there still don’t allow. But no, the virtue signaling, culture warrior party couldn’t leave well enough alone and had to allow all guns anywhere with no restrictions. What could go wrong?
You tell me, but remember, as stated in the title of the thread, gun crime is down in six of eight of Ohio's largest cities since the law change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio