Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 01:46 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I don't see Pennsylvania as much different than Ohio.
Pennsylvania is partially in the Northeast megalopolis corridor. Even the smaller urban centers in the eastern part of the state tend to have a denser development pattern and larger immigrant presence than similarly populated places in Ohio. The two states' political tendencies have also diverged significantly in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 08:19 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
What I don't like are the people with confederate battle flags waving in their yard. We fought
a war over this. Ohio was and is a union state and always has been. I'm so tired of the ignorant
racist bigots. We should have learned to have more tolerance and acceptance by now.
I HATE that. Part of the reason for that is that Ohio received a very large influx of southerners - mostly from Appalachian states, who brought with them their allegiance to the confederacy, and their religions - Fundamentalist and Pentecostal religion. That is part of why Northeastern Ohio is full of Assemblies of God and 28 types of Baptist and Holiness churches.

If it makes anyone feel any better, those flags can also be found in parts of upstate NY (part of NYS is Appalachia) Vermont, and New Hampshire. I *think* both have Appalachian regions.

The news about the ten-year-old girl, who was denied a termination of pregnancy after being raped, gave us a bad rep.

We are actually a state that was deeply involved in Abolition and the underground railroad. We are the home of many excellent colleges and universities that never were controlled by the elite. We have exciting art
museums, camping facilities, trails, and many lakes, including The Great Lake.

Tell people how beautiful your state is! There are several states that are noted for being chauvinistic. While it may be obnoxious, it works.

Correct people when they make incorrect statements about Ohio.

I think that while many famous Americans of the past had Ohio roots, too many Americans have just never bothered to visit our state.

I think advertisements for Ceder Point, Kalahari, and Kings Island, would at least get people to come here. Adults will enjoy the Put-In-Bay, and the many other Islands off Ohio's North Coast. We have three bog cities with so much to offer.

Old 11-10-2023, 05:43 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I don't see Pennsylvania as much different than Ohio.
There are a number of differences:
Ohio voters have the right of Initiative & Referendum
Ohio has Constitutional Carry (We actually passed Constitutional Carry before Florida)
Ohio does not have an Inheritance Tax
While Ohio does have 7 E-Check counties, there is no required vehicle inspection

Old 11-10-2023, 08:09 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
The eastern half of Pennsylvania feels much closer to Maryland and Delaware than anything in the Midwest. Both states have a history of heavy industry and an Appalachian influence, but that’s about where the similarities end.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Last thing Ohio needs is a bunch of blustery Texans moving there.

Seriously though, in my neck of the woods, nobody really says much bad about Ohio other than the fact that Cleveland really is cold.
LOL hey, I'm probably going to move there one day and I am a Texan! But I told my daughter I wasn't moving to Cleveland. She will have to stay south of Columbus.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:32 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL hey, I'm probably going to move there one day and I am a Texan! But I told my daughter I wasn't moving to Cleveland. She will have to stay south of Columbus.
What's wrong with Cleveland?

Old 11-21-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
What's wrong with Cleveland?
It's too cold for me.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:35 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
It's too cold for me.
A legit concern, although Cleveland's winter weather is much milder then when I grew up there. As kids we lived for cold weather, snow storms, tobogganing, ice skating and snowball fights. The Christmas holiday season without snow -- lots of it -- really sucked. .. Climate change, most definitely has had an effect.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:33 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
It's too cold for me.
I didn't know that Columbus or Cincinnati was 75 degrees around this time of year . JK.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I didn't know that Columbus or Cincinnati was 75 degrees around this time of year . JK.
LOL I don't want it to be 75 but I also don't want it to be 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio