Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 06:59 PM

469 posts, read 432,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Ohio certainly does no favors for itself by buying ads in other cities begging businesses and residents to move there.
Guerilla marketing campaign by JobsOhio. I do wish they would stop this. It’s not so much begging people to move here, as it is smack talking the other cities via billboards.

The main focus has been Austin, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York City, Boston, and Chicago.

Originally I thought this might be an interesting method…

But yes, it invites backlash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 10:51 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Ohio certainly does no favors for itself by buying ads in other cities begging businesses and residents to move there.
Can you please give me more info about these billboards?

Old 04-10-2023, 12:52 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
It isn't just certain Ohio cities doing that, but honestly a lot of places do advertising like that to try to encourage people to move that way. Heck even the state of Iowa was advertising in the Chicago area to encourage some of their former residents, to move back to that state! Also Berwyn, IL was doing some advertising in the rest of the Chicago area, to try to encourage people to move into some of their neighborhoods. Though at least Berwyn does have the fact it has a lot of nice older looking bungalow houses built within Berwyn, as a selling point to get people to consider moving there. Along with some good neighborhoods, and even some old time businesses that've hung on(i.e. Vesecky's Bakery).

And let's not forget Kansas City, KS, has tried to do some poaching of businesses on the KCMO side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Ohio is seen as the quintessentially declining heartland state. Alabama was always poor, and Iowa was always rural. No reason to bash them; they’re too easy of a target. But Ohio was once a bastion of technological development and economic growth. Cincinnati was once a great trading-city and a gateway to the West. Cleveland was once a powerhouse of industry. Dayton was the Silicon Valley of its day, leading the nation in technological innovation 100 years ago. In some ways, Ohio was the California of the turn of the 20th century: a bit free-wheeling, more liberated than the stodgy East Coast, growing vigorously, innovating and forging a new future. This has all changed markedly for the worse.

Today Ohio is seen as a former swing-state that swung MAGA.. a place where comfortably middle-class people are now struggling, with the concomitant resentments and grievances. It’s a metaphor for an America in decline, an America turning inwards and losing confidence in itself.

When California is panned, the complaint is, “look at those weirdoes, and what they’re trying to do to the rest of us!” When Ohio is panned, the complaint is, “See those people over there? Man, that’s what we’re all about to become, if we’re not careful!”
Quite honestly, you could say that for any other place in the Midwest(and rust belt too, including Pennsylvania) that was very reliant on factory jobs decades ago. I.e. Galesburg, IL, Flint, MI, Janesville, WI, the list goes on of smaller cities like this. Even places like Johnstown, PA, have struggled to keep jobs.

There are a lot of other places, where social media bashing occurs for that is unwarranted IMO. Alabama, anyone? That state gets way too beat up on in social media, IMO. Even Florida gets too beat up upon, if you ask me. Although the fact people do search for crime incidents often(and that Florida's 'sunshine' laws make it easy to look up such info), is why the Florida man meme is a big thing.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:34 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post

Quite honestly, you could say that for any other place in the Midwest(and rust belt too, including Pennsylvania) that was very reliant on factory jobs decades ago. I.e. Galesburg, IL, Flint, MI, Janesville, WI, the list goes on of smaller cities like this. Even places like Johnstown, PA, have struggled
I’m sure it comes down to politics and the fact those other states remain bellwethers/politically-neutral while Ohio has gone full MAGA. Even if the possible state propositions to protect abortion rights and legalize weed come to pass this year, our corrupt state politicians will find a way to stifle them the way they did with the anti-gerrymandering law from a few years back.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:01 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Quite honestly, you could say that for any other place in the Midwest(and rust belt too, including Pennsylvania) that was very reliant on factory jobs decades ago. I.e. Galesburg, IL, Flint, MI, Janesville, WI, the list goes on of smaller cities like this. Even places like Johnstown, PA, have struggled to keep jobs.
All true, but considering how prosperous and advanced Ohio was 100 years ago, it's been a particularly steep fall. Compare for example Argentina. Sure, all of South America is relatively poor. Why single-out any particular country? Well, in 1900, Argentina was as wealthy as the typical country in Europe. It's fallen so much further, than say Bolivia or Paraguay. So today we pan Argentina as being particularly mismanaged and lamentable.... not because it's doing badly, relative to its peers, but because formerly it was doing so much better, and is now merely average.

Dayton was the Silicon Valley of its day. What went wrong?

Old 04-10-2023, 08:50 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Unfortunately Ohio isn't offering a lot of opportunities to transplants, so people aren't enthused about the state.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:09 PM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Back to original post topic.

These are TikTok and Tumblr memes, folks. It is not worthy of PhD-level analysis.

Evidently things started in 2016 with an “Ohio vs. the World” theme, which morphed into “Ohio must be eliminated”, which then prompted inane “only in Ohio” type stuff as mindless bandwagon behavior took over. This is the nature of memes.

It’s discoverable with a bit of Googling.

Need to keep in mind, the largest segment of TikTok users is aged 10-19 years.

And nearly 80% of creators are 24 or younger.

https://explodingtopics.com/blog/tiktok-demographics

There is likely not much historical analysis or deep intellectual application with these specific memes.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:27 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
All true, but considering how prosperous and advanced Ohio was 100 years ago, it's been a particularly steep fall. Compare for example Argentina. Sure, all of South America is relatively poor. Why single-out any particular country? Well, in 1900, Argentina was as wealthy as the typical country in Europe. It's fallen so much further, than say Bolivia or Paraguay. So today we pan Argentina as being particularly mismanaged and lamentable.... not because it's doing badly, relative to its peers, but because formerly it was doing so much better, and is now merely average.

Ask NCR, they should be able to tell you.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:52 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Can you please give me more info about these billboards?
https://local12.com/news/local/billb...hio-cincinnati

It's an ad campaign mostly centered around Ohio's lower COL in expensive cities. I saw one on Wilshire Boulevard in west L.A. and it was unsurprisingly cringe and I'm guessing persuaded exactly zero people.

Things like "Owning beachfront property is the L.A. dream, owning actual property is the Ohio reality" on a billboard.

There's a way to do that kind of stuff and that's not it. Appeal to people's aspirations beyond getting a house on the cheap.

Like, "you wanted to be this specific thing in life and here's how it would happen in Ohio and not here."

Cleveland MIGHT be able to pull this kind of thing off in expensive cities that lack amenities like Austin.

Really any city in any state that does this is just going to make themselves look desperate. People have the internet, there aren't any "hidden gems." People generally know what the score is and poaching in other cities with billboards is almost guaranteed to backfire.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:28 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:

I hadn't read much about Argentina, but sad to hear they had a fall from how prosperous they used to be. Did Ohio once have the highest average incomes of all US states, at one point?

I hope it's cities that had been struggling(i.e. Dayton), could find a way to bounce back. In fairness though, this decline has been occurring in other Midwest states besides just Ohio. I get what you are saying, though. And thanks for the responses, since yeah I don't think lawmakers(probably mostly Republicans, if I have to guess) should be quietly trying to be sneaky, and find lame ways to roll back Ohio voter approved referendums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio