Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 05:25 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times

Advertisements

What I don't like are the people with confederate battle flags waving in their yard. We fought
a war over this. Ohio was and is a union state and always has been. I'm so tired of the ignorant
racist bigots. We should have learned to have more tolerance and acceptance by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 08:11 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I don't think any state gets bashed more than CA. Most people couldn't care less about OH, which is fine with me. I'm happy where I'm at and I ain't movin'
How is California bashed more than Ohio? California may get its share of bashing but there are enough defenders to offset the critics. Ohio has way more haters than defenders. California hasn't been the butt of a lot of jokes. Plus, CA is still seen as a tourist destination and a lot of people still move out there. The California bashing hasn't been a hit on its reputation and perception. On the flip side, the Ohio bashing has helped take a hit on its reputation and perception. That's my point.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:00 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
How is California bashed more than Ohio? California may get its share of bashing but there are enough defenders to offset the critics. Ohio has way more haters than defenders. California hasn't been the butt of a lot of jokes. Plus, CA is still seen as a tourist destination and a lot of people still move out there. The California bashing hasn't been a hit on its reputation and perception. On the flip side, the Ohio bashing has helped take a hit on its reputation and perception. That's my point.
I think you're taking the Ohio bashing a little too personally. I follow old house pages on Facebook (FB has to be good for something, right? ) and whenever I see someone make a comment like "yeah, but it's in Ohio" I just repeat the same phrase in my head, with their location instead of Ohio, and it would be just as true.

The California bashing seems to be largely political. But, with the extreme political polarization we're seeing these days, that bashing is pretty strong.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:14 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Just search on youtube:

<insert major CA city here> Homeless problem
or
<insert major CA city here> real estate costs
or
<insert major CA city here> traffic congestion
or
<insert major CA city here> leaving
or
<insert major CA city here> car theft

then read the comments. then you can start googling the political commentary on CA.

Last edited by 216facts; 04-01-2023 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-02-2023, 06:25 AM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The California bashing seems to be largely political. But, with the extreme political polarization we're seeing these days, that bashing is pretty strong.
Yeah, the California bashing is largely political…but the CalifornIAN bashing crosses political lines. This is the inevitable outcome of thousands upon thousands of cash-flush Californians relocating to other states en masse. (I do recall being on the wrong end of some barbs in uber-liberal Portland when I moved there with California plates…)

As for the Ohio bashing on social media…

Most of these TikTok participants wouldn’t know Ohio if it bit them on the nose. You are witnessing mindless conformity in action with these memes. As most of these users have the attention span of a squirrel, it’s likely this, too, shall pass.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:57 PM

70 posts, read 74,009 times
IT is funny that I am seeing this post. I am born and raised from Pittsburgh Pa now living in boring flat west Ohio. St. Marys to be exact. Do I regret moving to Ohio No. Cost of living is much better than Pa. Living here for 11 years now. I cannot WAIT to move out of Ohio and move to Tennessee. Why because being an Appalachian growing up in the mountains of Pa. I am a true Mt girl who loves rolling hills and scenery. Don't get me wrong, Ohio is beautiful in many ways when you live out away from major city which I do. I enjoy every corn and soy bean fields I can.

But what I miss is my rolling hills, my mountains. While living in Pa, there was no jobs for me or my husband to make a living TBH. Ohio had that for us. Once we moved out here we survived. Now we can survive without any issues. We went to Tn last year and instantly fell in love. We felt like we were living in what we call our playground. Trails, mountains, fresh air and all.

Yes Ohio is hated, many people I know do not like Ohio at all. Only drive through and maybe visit but don't like it.

Old 04-02-2023, 06:10 PM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperG1rl View Post
Yes Ohio is hated, many people I know do not like Ohio at all. Only drive through and maybe visit but don't like it.
In keeping with the spirit of the thread topic…

Would you care to elaborate on what these many people you know hate about Ohio?

Old 04-02-2023, 06:14 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperG1rl View Post
IT is funny that I am seeing this post. I am born and raised from Pittsburgh Pa now living in boring flat west Ohio. St. Marys to be exact. Do I regret moving to Ohio No. Cost of living is much better than Pa. Living here for 11 years now. I cannot WAIT to move out of Ohio and move to Tennessee. Why because being an Appalachian growing up in the mountains of Pa. I am a true Mt girl who loves rolling hills and scenery. Don't get me wrong, Ohio is beautiful in many ways when you live out away from major city which I do. I enjoy every corn and soy bean fields I can.

But what I miss is my rolling hills, my mountains. While living in Pa, there was no jobs for me or my husband to make a living TBH. Ohio had that for us. Once we moved out here we survived. Now we can survive without any issues. We went to Tn last year and instantly fell in love. We felt like we were living in what we call our playground. Trails, mountains, fresh air and all.

A lot of people have hatred, and aim it right at what they see everyday - their living conditions/government/job/etc. Not saying this is your situation, I doubt it is. And TN is great, so good luck and have fun. You can also get hills in OH, like E. Liverpool or Steubenville, but may not have the jobs there. I used to live in Dallas, huge job machine, over 8M population, but I got out of there for the reasons you state, I love the outdoors. Love it here in CLE due to the outdoor opportunities, as well as other family being close by. Its a good fit for me. TN sure sounds good though.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:38 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Having lived in both Ohio and California, some personal perspective…

California is seen as a foil and litmus-test for the entire nation. It is believed that CA is a laboratory where new and speculative things get tested out, and eventually implemented nationally. An example is environmental regulation. Another example much lamented in some circles is potential regulation on guns. Or more recently, “slavery reparations”, or other inflammatory and contentious innovations. Those who decry a spate of new laws, especially restrictive or costly laws, blame CA. CA is also seen as morally loose and reprehensible, the key element being Hollywood and its impact on culture. CA is seen as spearheading “wokery”, gender-ambiguity and the many wedge-issues of the day. CA is also envied for its wealth, be that Silicon Valley start-ups, or real estate anywhere along the coast.

Ohio is seen as the quintessentially declining heartland state. Alabama was always poor, and Iowa was always rural. No reason to bash them; they’re too easy of a target. But Ohio was once a bastion of technological development and economic growth. Cincinnati was once a great trading-city and a gateway to the West. Cleveland was once a powerhouse of industry. Dayton was the Silicon Valley of its day, leading the nation in technological innovation 100 years ago. In some ways, Ohio was the California of the turn of the 20th century: a bit free-wheeling, more liberated than the stodgy East Coast, growing vigorously, innovating and forging a new future. This has all changed markedly for the worse.

Today Ohio is seen as a former swing-state that swung MAGA.. a place where comfortably middle-class people are now struggling, with the concomitant resentments and grievances. It’s a metaphor for an America in decline, an America turning inwards and losing confidence in itself.

When California is panned, the complaint is, “look at those weirdoes, and what they’re trying to do to the rest of us!” When Ohio is panned, the complaint is, “See those people over there? Man, that’s what we’re all about to become, if we’re not careful!”

Old 04-04-2023, 03:17 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Social media also has a strange thing going around where Ohio is the ultimate/superior state. Social media is weird.
That's an understatement, to put it mildly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio