Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 09:02 AM

140 posts, read 67,582 times

Advertisements

Hopefully the OP is getting something out of this thread.

I am from the Youngstown area, moved down south for a while, then back to Youngstown, but now I am looking at a bigger market. I work in economic development here, and I can tell you the Mahoning Valley has organizations in place now that are taking growth seriously and I think it is really starting to pay off. My office receives the local Business Journal, and I was reading it this morning and reading your thread got me wondering what you are looking at as far as housing costs? I only read your original post, and maybe somewhere you talked about living expenses. I know bus routes are a priority for you. Downtown Youngstown has renovated several buildings downtown in the last few years and converted office to residential. The State of Ohio makes it easier than other states with historic tax credits and incentives like TMUD. Have you looked at living downtown? You can walk to campus. One building is bringing 41 apartments online in about a month.

I live near Mill Creek Park around the Newport Historic District and Forest Glen Historic District. It's a beautiful neighborhood with old homes full of character, an easy walk all connected via sidewalks to the extensive park system, and about 3.5 miles to downtown. There are also a few bus stops along Market Street in the area to get you the short ride to downtown or Route 224 in Boardman. Many homes in the Newport Historic District area have went from single occupancy to two or three units and are affordable. You can also checkout the neighboring Idora neighborhood, too.

If you look at the northside of the city, Wick Park will be more oriented towards students, but North Heights offers being close to downtown, Belmont Avenue and Liberty for your shopping needs like Boardman offers for the southside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 05:57 PM

56 posts, read 47,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
Hopefully the OP is getting something out of this thread.

I am from the Youngstown area, moved down south for a while, then back to Youngstown, but now I am looking at a bigger market. I work in economic development here, and I can tell you the Mahoning Valley has organizations in place now that are taking growth seriously and I think it is really starting to pay off. My office receives the local Business Journal, and I was reading it this morning and reading your thread got me wondering what you are looking at as far as housing costs? I only read your original post, and maybe somewhere you talked about living expenses. I know bus routes are a priority for you. Downtown Youngstown has renovated several buildings downtown in the last few years and converted office to residential. The State of Ohio makes it easier than other states with historic tax credits and incentives like TMUD. Have you looked at living downtown? You can walk to campus. One building is bringing 41 apartments online in about a month.

I live near Mill Creek Park around the Newport Historic District and Forest Glen Historic District. It's a beautiful neighborhood with old homes full of character, an easy walk all connected via sidewalks to the extensive park system, and about 3.5 miles to downtown. There are also a few bus stops along Market Street in the area to get you the short ride to downtown or Route 224 in Boardman. Many homes in the Newport Historic District area have went from single occupancy to two or three units and are affordable. You can also checkout the neighboring Idora neighborhood, too.

If you look at the northside of the city, Wick Park will be more oriented towards students, but North Heights offers being close to downtown, Belmont Avenue and Liberty for your shopping needs like Boardman offers for the southside.
Thank you BRNorth for your excellent post. It looks like the Newport neighborhood is in a convenient area due to all the businesses along the two nearby main streets as well as Mill Creek. It looks like you're about halfway between downtown Youngstown and Boardman (from what I gathered; Boardman might be the main town in the Youngstown area for retail.)

After spending the last several months researching various universities that offer the type of program I'm interested in and narrowing it down to about 4-5 schools (including YSU), I finally made a decision. I decided to head a couple hours Southeast of Youngstown to Morgantown, WV for grad school at West Virginia University.

One key reason why I chose WVU is due to the fact that the program guarantees two-year graduate assistantships to all grad schools in the program, which means it would not take as much time for me to finish my degree. I really like that curriculum. YSU and the other schools I looked at offer limited assistantships that are obviously not guaranteed to all gad students, and there may not always be positions available each semester.

Morgantown is more expensive than Youngstown, but it's not really expensive overall (based on my research.)

I've spent enough time looking at graduate programs. It's time to make a decision and move on (and take action.) I'm looking forward to the graduate program at WVU.

Thank you BRNorth and everyone who invested time in addressing my questions/concerns and providing me with valuable insight. This thread has been very informative. I've definitely learned more about Youngstown, OH from the information you guys provided. Like I said earlier, this thread will be very helpful to anyone who is thinking about relocating to Youngstown or attending YSU.

Thank you,

Jay Reese

Old 02-03-2023, 06:14 AM

Happy to hear you found a university, Jay! Best of luck to you in Morgantown!

Old 02-04-2023, 04:44 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Reese View Post
After spending the last several months researching various universities that offer the type of program I'm interested in and narrowing it down to about 4-5 schools (including YSU), I finally made a decision. I decided to head a couple hours Southeast of Youngstown to Morgantown, WV for grad school at West Virginia University.

I haven't looked, but doesn't Morgantown have much better mass transit than Youngstown, including a rail line? BOL!!!

Old 02-05-2023, 08:39 PM

56 posts, read 47,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
Happy to hear you found a university, Jay! Best of luck to you in Morgantown!
I really appreciate your well-wish, BRNorth. I'm glad I was finally able to make a decision after spending the last several months researching and trying to figure out the best graduate program for me. The feedback I received here on City-Data was very helpful as well. I had been interested in attending graduate school for the last several years, and I feel better about the fact that I've made the official decision to attend ... and narrowed it down to a particular program (and know what to plan for and work toward.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I haven't looked, but doesn't Morgantown have much better mass transit than Youngstown, including a rail line? BOL!!!
From my research, Morgantown has a small rail system called the PRT. The PRT is made up of smaller trains that, I believe, can fit up to 15 people. I guess they're similar to streetcars, but smaller. From my understanding, the PRT system was designed specifically for West Virginia University students and affiliates. The PRT has its own separate tracks. It looks pretty cool. Here's a link to a YouTube video about the PRT: https://youtu.be/ey2im0f7zr8 Here's a better one: https://youtu.be/3BMnmyPKYQE

I appreciate your help and support, WRnative. Thank you very much for your well-wish.

Last edited by Jay Reese; 02-05-2023 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-10-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
What baloney. .. incompetent or just deceitful..absolutely ridiculous
Why are you taking it so personally? Or - why are you responding with hostility? No one has an "obligation" to do anything here - including me. But since you don't believe me - why would you believe my supporting data?

Is it (the airport) actually in Youngstown? Nope. Not near at all, from a snowfall perspective. I assume you're referring to THIS link you posted:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php

Which says right in it - at the airport - which is in Warren, pretty much, not Youngstown.

Did you post a link with YOUNGSTOWN snowfall? If you did - I didn't see it. Here's one:

https://www.cleveland.com/weather/bl...hio_is_th.html

Huh! Says Cleveland has more snow! Weird! (and that's comparing airports - not Y-town proper)

But here's a link to Y-Town proper...
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

SIGNIFICANTLY less than the airport.

"weather is disappearing, shockingly rapidly, in Greater Cleveland...climate change is drastically reducing snowfalls in Greater Cleveland"
Snowfall chart doesn't show that. Here's a LINK ("link it, please") for your continued support. Please take the data from rightmost column, then plot your own chart in Excel. "Shockingly rapidly?" No evidence.

Is it less in the last 5 years? Sure. Less than 100 years ago? Nope. Rapid? Nope. HUGE change? Nope.

I've posted MY data - where's yours? (bjimmy, I made a chart in excel, made it an image - can't insert it...no idea....)

Basically, you've done nothing but insult me in the face of 100% facts and links on my side and 0% on your side. I don't know why you take it so personally.

Regarding all the rest - climate change, so forth - Not sure what that was to do with anything. The climate could change huuuuge amounts - and not change the weather in cleveland. But meantime - if the climate did not change - we'd still be under a glacier, so I'm mainly OK with it.

Weatherspark.com is one of the definitive sources of weather information for U.S. communities.

Adding up average monthly snowfalls for Youngstown, Weatherspark.com reports the annual average total is 15.3 inches. For Cleveland, the average annual total is 11.3 inches. So, once again, I've provided substantiation from a SINGLE SOURCE that Cleveland receives less annual average snowfall than Youngstown. If you don't like the findings, go argue with Weatherspark.com.

https://weatherspark.com/y/19191/Ave...tes-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Despite all of your blustering, and whining about being treated unfairly and victimization, you still have not posted in this thread comparative snowfall totals for Youngstown and Cleveland from any single source. Pathetic.

BTW, according to Google, the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport is only 13.1 miles from downtown Youngstown. I don't know if snowfall totals vary tremendously between the Youngstown-Warren airport and downtown Youngstown, and I don't care. What I do know is that while you seemingly understand that snowfall totals vary greatly within the Youngstown-Warren-Boardman MSA, you seemingly have NO understanding that they also vary greatly within Greater Cleveland, with Cleveland proper experiencing much less snowfall than areas to Cleveland's northeast and southeast in Ohio's lake effect snowbelt, which also encompasses part of the Youngstown-Warren-Boardman MSA.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-10-2023 at 09:07 PM..

Old 02-10-2023, 08:50 PM

roodd279 post 25:

Quote:

Cleveland has plenty more snow, that's for sure.

WRnative post 27:

Quote:
With the onslaught of climate change, I suspect any differences in snowfall totals are negligible and becoming more so. Cleveland proper is not part of the Lake Erie lake effect snow belt, which begins north and east of Cleveland, especially in areas with higher elevations.

roodd279 post 39:

Quote:

"weather is disappearing, shockingly rapidly, in Greater Cleveland...climate change is drastically reducing snowfalls in Greater Cleveland"
Snowfall chart doesn't show that. Here's a LINK ("link it, please") for your continued support. Please take the data from rightmost column, then plot your own chart in Excel. "Shockingly rapidly?" No evidence.

Is it less in the last 5 years? Sure. Less than 100 years ago? Nope. Rapid? Nope. HUGE change? Nope.
roodd279 post 39:

Quote:
Basically, you've done nothing but insult me in the face of 100% facts and links on my side and 0% on your side. I don't know why you take it so personally.

Regarding all the rest - climate change, so forth - Not sure what that was to do with anything. The climate could change huuuuge amounts - and not change the weather in cleveland. But meantime - if the climate did not change - we'd still be under a glacier, so I'm mainly OK with it.

WRnative post 46:

Quote:
Weatherspark.com is one of the definitive sources of weather information for U.S. communities.

Adding up average monthly snowfall for Youngstown, Weatherspark.com reports the annual average total is 15.3 inches. For Cleveland, the average annual total is 11.3 inches. So, once again, I've provided substantiation from a SINGLE SOURCE that Cleveland receives less annual average snowfall than Youngstown. If you don't like the findings, go argue with Weatherspark.com.

https://weatherspark.com/y/19191/Ave...tes-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Despite all of your blustering, and whining about being treated unfairly and victimization, you still have not posted comparative snowfall totals for Youngstown and Cleveland from any single source. Pathetic.

I don't know about Youngstown, but Cleveland, even Lake County, recently experiences one significant snow storm annually, but nothing comparable to the great blizzards of just several decades ago. Again, I used my snow blower once this winter in central Lake County, and I wouldn't have had to use it on that one occasion if all I cared about was being able to drive out my driveway.

BTW, according to Google, the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport is only 13.1 miles from downtown Youngstown. I don't know if snowfall totals vary tremendously between the airport and downtown Youngstown, and I don't care. What I do know is that while you seemingly understand that snowfall totals vary greatly within the Youngstown-Warren-Boardman MSA, you have NO understanding that they also vary greatly within Greater Cleveland, with Cleveland proper experiencing much less snowfall than areas to Cleveland's east and southeast in Ohio's lake effect snowbelt.

This exchange began when you said in your post 25, "Cleveland has plenty more snow. That's for sure."

In my post 27, without looking at any actual data, I said that with climate change, I thought that any differences in snowfall between Cleveland proper and Youngstown proper today were negligible, and, as climate change progresses, would become even less significant.

Candidly, I never expected that the actual data would show that average annual snowfalls are now less in Cleveland than in Youngstown. What is important, contrary to your argument, the differences are negligible, and certainly no reason to choose Youngstown over Cleveland any longer.

Contrary to your statements, I posted comparative data from single sources showing that any differences in snowfall between the two cities are negligible. YOU NEVER HAVE POSTED COMPARATIVE DATA FROM A SINGLE SOURCE.

Most importantly, and what really disgusts me, is that you constantly imply that climate change is irrelevant, hasn't diminished snowfall throughout northeast Ohio, and seemingly lack any understanding that snowfalls in northeast Ohio will diminish further and probably disappear in the coming decades, perhaps within just a few decades into the future.

Your comments reek of a climate change denier, oblivious to the substantial impacts already on northeast Ohio, let alone the increasing impacts in the years ahead.

And, yes, as explained and substantiated in the following thread, I consider climate change deniers to be dimwits of the first order. It's not a reflection on me that I take personally, but a reflection on dimwit ignorance constantly expressed by climate change deniers that I absolutely abhor. I added a couple posts to the thread today to explain why everybody should be taking climate change very seriously.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...l#post64857821

See also my post 306 in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...n-ohio-31.html

As I've also said in this thread and elsewhere in the Ohio forum, I have fond memories of severe winters in Lake County. I'm very saddened that winters are greatly diminished, and, perhaps even in my lifetime, but not soon after, even the northeast Ohio snowbelt will no longer be able to claim a true winter season characterized by repeatedly meaningful snowfalls and very frigid weather. Actually, our winters the last two years in Lake County have been just as pathetically mild as your posts in this thread have been inaccurate.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-10-2023 at 09:20 PM..

Old 02-13-2023, 04:49 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
No threads on the chemical spill and the now apparently incredible mishandling of it by the feds? This is starting to become a huge story and things are apparently VERY bad south of Youngstown. VERY BAD.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:43 AM

160 posts, read 87,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
No threads on the chemical spill and the now apparently incredible mishandling of it by the feds? This is starting to become a huge story and things are apparently VERY bad south of Youngstown. VERY BAD.

You can start a thread. You know Ohio has state and local government too, but if you want to talk Federal, then there are national forums. It will be interesting to see the people who vote for anti-government people, deregulation above all, and who voted against infrastructure weighing in on this issue.

So many clutched pearls...

Old 02-14-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Not sure of your stance on it, but there are already several posters from the right who are blaming this on the current administration (Federal) in many threads throughout the forum. If you think that is the case, I would be so interested in hearing why you think so. As someone who works in the area (government) and it has been brought up in discussions, it's the right and their voters locally who are more concerned with moving back to normal than dealing with the whys of what happened and making sure that things are PROPERLY done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio