Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2020, 04:13 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times

Advertisements

^ I have some smart friends who think Trump's popularity in the rust belt is similar to Jim Traficant's popularity in the Mahoning Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 09:03 PM

93 posts, read 265,169 times
Yeah that's an interesting comparison. Do your friends think that Democrats can recover in the rust belt post-Trump, or that the region's shift in loyalties may be permanent going forward?

Tim Ryan won by an underwhelming margin in the descendant of Traficant's old district, which was gerrymandered to be a Democratic vote sink. So it seems like Democrats are on the decline across the ballot in Northeast OH, outside of the immediate Cleveland and Akron areas.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:21 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
^ I have some smart friends who think Trump's popularity in the rust belt is similar to Jim Traficant's popularity in the Mahoning Valley.
It’s not much different from Mexico or Jamaica or similarly failed countries where the population live with a de facto system of corruption as long as their local “Don” (godfather) benefits their area and keeps them relatively safe. The idea of a greater good or a political system that actually works for them has been a pipe dream for generations.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
Yeah that's an interesting comparison. Do your friends think that Democrats can recover in the rust belt post-Trump, or that the region's shift in loyalties may be permanent going forward?

Tim Ryan won by an underwhelming margin in the descendant of Traficant's old district, which was gerrymandered to be a Democratic vote sink. So it seems like Democrats are on the decline across the ballot in Northeast OH, outside of the immediate Cleveland and Akron areas.
Gerrymandering should have been outlawed from the beginning. My understanding is it will be in future elections.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:25 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post

I don't know. They'd probably remain loyal to Trump, because he's seen as an outsider. Ryan's support has been decreasing because he is increasingly seen as just another politician.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:48 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
They vote that way because they are ignorant rascists...that's it

Shaker Heights living up to its repution. Arrogant condescending lefties like you are one of the major reasons more than 13 million more votes were cast for Trump than 4 years ago.

People are sick to death of *******s, incapable of makingba coherent substantive argument..just lob the "racist!!!" Card.

In my experience..leftsits like you who huddle in posh woke zones like Shaker Heights are truly racist....its projection.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:01 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Shaker Heights living up to its repution. Arrogant condescending lefties like you are one of the major reasons more than 13 million more votes were cast for Trump than 4 years ago.

People are sick to death of *******s, incapable of makingba coherent substantive argument..just lob the "racist!!!" Card.

In my experience..leftsits like you who huddle in posh woke zones like Shaker Heights are truly racist....its projection.
I'm unable to understand this gibberish.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
All of which are CLEARLY fraudulent.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
I'm unable to understand this gibberish.
It's the thought that counts...

Old 12-23-2020, 12:11 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
First off, I don't live in Ohio, but I was born and raised there. I am asking this question because, historically the candidate that wins Ohio, usually wins the election.

All the other battleground states seemed to switch, in the middle of the night, to Biden, in what a lot of people seem to think was some suspicious goings ons. Ohio was the exception.

The question I have, out of ignorance of the election laws in Ohio, is, "Are there laws or procedures in Ohio that might explain why there is no question of voter or election fraud?"

Or could it be they tried but fell short?

Does Ohio have something to teach the rest of the country?

It is my feeling that enough is not done for election security, and there should be procedures in place that eliminate any question that an election could be stolen by anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR_aOdfq7EI

This can help you understand the direction of the Midwest and Ohio, as the demographics in this country is shifting. He lot Ohio for the opposite reason Biden won Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio