Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 07:02 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times

Advertisements

First off, I don't live in Ohio, but I was born and raised there. I am asking this question because, historically the candidate that wins Ohio, usually wins the election.

All the other battleground states seemed to switch, in the middle of the night, to Biden, in what a lot of people seem to think was some suspicious goings ons. Ohio was the exception.

The question I have, out of ignorance of the election laws in Ohio, is, "Are there laws or procedures in Ohio that might explain why there is no question of voter or election fraud?"

Or could it be they tried but fell short?

Does Ohio have something to teach the rest of the country?

It is my feeling that enough is not done for election security, and there should be procedures in place that eliminate any question that an election could be stolen by anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 07:33 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
There is no “claim” of voter fraud in Ohio because the party that is crying “foul” came out on top. Why would anyone expect them to claim something sneaky was going on if they had more votes.

The count changing during the night was not in the least bit unusual. The polls close at 7:30. Votes from Election Day take time to count. Votes cast during early voting cannot be counted in Ohio before Election Day and they take time to count. It is just a normal thing that vote tabulation will not be finished by election night. It is just this year that people are claiming that some widespread illegality is being perpetrated.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 AM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
There is no “claim” of voter fraud in Ohio because the party that is crying “foul” came out on top. Why would anyone expect them to claim something sneaky was going on if they had more votes.

The count changing during the night was not in the least bit unusual. The polls close at 7:30. Votes from Election Day take time to count. Votes cast during early voting cannot be counted in Ohio before Election Day and they take time to count. It is just a normal thing that vote tabulation will not be finished by election night. It is just this year that people are claiming that some widespread illegality is being perpetrated.
This.

Also, Ohio isn't really a bellwether state anymore. It has been trending more conservative relative to the national average for the last 15 years or so.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:19 AM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
This.

Also, Ohio isn't really a bellwether state anymore. It has been trending more conservative relative to the national average for the last 15 years or so.
Agreed, but an additional problem is that Ohio Democrats are notoriously disorganized and usually have a lousy ground game. Both Bill Clinton and Obama moved a lot of their people into key areas to run their respective campaigns -- both candidates had extremely organized and focused operations, which is why Clinton and Obama had no problem taking Ohio -- I believe Clinton took it once; I know Obama won both times, not to mention that both men are extremely charismatic speakers and wooed the electorate, both locally and nationally.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:03 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Unfortunately, Ohio has too many backwards angry rural white guys that are uneducated and pissed at a everyone else for their own shortcomings...they refuse to better themselves and move out of their crap little towns w/ no futures...Trump spoke to them, and of course stoked their anger and resentment to vote in mass...

I fear Ohio has become lost like Missouri, another state that has 2 large cities at each end and is a backwater across the rest of the state...The Democrats need to work extra hard in the cities here to get the voters to the polls...Cleveland/Cuyahoga County didn't have near the numbers of voters that last 2 elections at the polls that we had for Obama in 08/12...I wish Obama could train the Ohio Democrat Party how to organize and reach out better...or they need to go learn from Stacy Abrams whose work has finally changed Georgia from deep red to purple.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Ohio suffers from severe brain drain. That affects the political/ideological balance of the state.

Ohio's bellweather staus is no more as it becomes more like the deep south in terms of belief in science vs. Christian conservatism.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ohio suffers from severe brain drain. That affects the political/ideological balance of the state.

Ohio's bellweather staus is no more as it becomes more like the deep south in terms of belief in science vs. Christian conservatism.
We also have a less diverse demographic than the rest of the nation...our Latino and Asian populations, both which overwhemingly vote Democrat aren't very high.

The true bellweather states are now places like NC, GA, AZ...Ohio is going to become less and less important nationally

Old 12-01-2020, 12:26 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
.The Democrats need to work extra hard in the cities here to get the voters to the polls...Cleveland/Cuyahoga County didn't have near the numbers of voters that last 2 elections at the polls that we had for Obama in 08/12...I wish Obama could train the Ohio Democrat Party how to organize and reach out better..
The city of Detroit has been voting Democrat since 1962. That has turned out to be a disaster.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:45 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

The question I have, out of ignorance of the election laws in Ohio, is, "Are there laws or procedures in Ohio that might explain why there is no question of voter or election fraud?"

Or could it be they tried but fell short?

Does Ohio have something to teach the rest of the country?

It is my feeling that enough is not done for election security, and there should be procedures in place that eliminate any question that an election could be stolen by anyone.
I drove from Indianapolis to Cleveland and back over Thanksgiving weekend. Almost every political sign I saw was for Trump.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:53 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

If Ohio is producing enough well-educated people to have a brain drain, they're doing better on that front than Democrat-run inner cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio