Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 01:02 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,379,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorewa View Post
The people writing the law went out of their way to request data on how black people and Hispanic people vote & place restrictions on those formats and not others. Black people are more likely to vote early, register the same day, or vote provisionally out of precinct. White people are more likely to request absentee ballots. Guess which three of those got restricted & which one didn't.

That is pretty much the definition of discrimination.
People have 4yrs to prepare for a presidential election, and get an id.
Excuses excuses. Funny how millions of people can follow voting proceedures.
You dont have confidence blacks and Hispanics can follow proceedures?

Last edited by 1watertiger; 02-28-2017 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 04:33 PM

32 posts, read 30,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
I have not said one word about voting without an ID.

You completely avoided the issue that republicans specifically sought out ways to restrict the ways that black people and Hispanic people vote. Why would we restrict these more when you already admitted voter fraud is practically nonexistent, unless to boost republican advantage.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I have not said one word about voting without an ID.

You completely avoided the issue that republicans specifically sought out ways to restrict the ways that black people and Hispanic people vote. Why would we restrict these more when you already admitted voter fraud is practically nonexistent, unless to boost republican advantage.
I really dont care much for both parties. Im pretty moderate. Imo Thats why so many states voted for trump. I hope he does what he promised and get folks in this country working again.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,105,816 times
Quote:
I really dont care much for both parties. Im pretty moderate. Imo Thats why so many states voted for trump. I hope he does what he promised and get folks in this country working again.
Hillary was a severely flawed candidate for many reasons. The Dems' message was also way off in rust belt states like Ohio and Michigan.

Outside of the downtowns of Columbus, Cincy and Cleveland few people care about safeguarding Muslim immigration or transgender bathroom laws. While social issues are important the Democrats relied almost solely on identity politics to carry them. That might work on the coasts but in Ohio people want to hear how you're going to get jobs back and create economic prosperity.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Hillary was a severely flawed candidate for many reasons. The Dems' message was also way off in rust belt states like Ohio and Michigan.

Outside of the downtowns of Columbus, Cincy and Cleveland few people care about safeguarding Muslim immigration or transgender bathroom laws. While social issues are important the Democrats relied almost solely on identity politics to carry them. That might work on the coasts but in Ohio people want to hear how you're going to get jobs back and create economic prosperity.
And the solution is coal and oil pipelines, both of which are dying fields?

I agree that democrats did a weak job of talking about how they were going to improve the economy, but most of what I heard from trump was traditional political mumbo-jumbo about "bringing back jobs" and "stimulating the economy." We've heard that song and dance and all it ever turns into are tax breaks for the extremely wealthy and undoing environmental progress.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
And the solution is coal and oil pipelines, both of which are dying fields?

I agree that democrats did a weak job of talking about how they were going to improve the economy, but most of what I heard from trump was traditional political mumbo-jumbo about "bringing back jobs" and "stimulating the economy." We've heard that song and dance and all it ever turns into are tax breaks for the extremely wealthy and undoing environmental progress.
Its time for both parties to work together.
Trumps tax cut plan is supposed to benefit everyone and promote companies to bring money back from off shore banks.
Infrastructure plan is a good idea also.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Its time for both parties to work together.
Trumps tax cut plan is supposed to benefit everyone and promote companies to bring money back from off shore banks.
Infrastructure plan is a good idea also.
Who would lose the most money under Trump's tax plan? - Business Insider

Unless they add provisions, it will harm single parents who make between 20-50k (clearly a group that can afford to be harmed by it ) We can drop taxes on millionaires by 9% but raise them on single parents who barely make enough to live on? All right.

ETA: *now* it's time for both parties to work together. But it wasn't when republicans blocked Obama from appointing a Supreme Court justice by refusing to even *have a hearing* about his nominee even though not a single one of them had a valid actual concern about the nominee's judicial record. But now we need to work together. K cool.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,092,624 times
Quote:
Why do you keep talking about IDs? The NC laws weren't about IDs, specifically. As was mentioned already, the NC GOP asked for the data on when and how AAs voted. Then they targeted those times and places for reduction/elimination. It could not have been a more clear-cut case of voter suppression based on race.
And if voter fraud is already extremely low, why make such a big deal about IDs at all?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I'm curious to hear some of your moderate positions. I'm also wondering how this post had literally anything to do with what you were responding to.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post

Hillary's message wasn't off, she just wasn't lying to people about what was actually possible. There are a lot of people in the Midwest who still haven't got it through their heads that manufacturing jobs aren't coming back. Manufacturing output is actually very high and climbing, but the total number of jobs continues to decline over time. What do all those Trump voters think is happening? It's not that all those jobs are now overseas. Instead, they're being lost to technology and innovation. No president, especially not Trump, is going to be able to reverse 50 years of technological advancement to make sure Bob in Michigan can go back to working in steel production and make an income with benefits that supports the purchase of a house, 2 cars and 3 kids. It's not happening, folks. As far as the rest of Hillary's economic message, perhaps she didn't do the best job selling it, but the plan and the details were available for anyone who wanted to do even a bit of casual research. Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the voters to actually be informed? In the end, the people who believed that Trump was going to save a dying way of life are going to be really disappointed when he can't perform a miracle.

Why can't one care about social issues and also economics? They are not mutually exclusive. I don't get your point here at all. Doing the right thing should not be a political position. Treating others as human beings that deserve equal rights and protections should not be a liberal viewpoint.

And I continue to wait on the answer to my states rights question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio