Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM

125 posts, read 301,752 times

Advertisements

The term marriage is a religous term. Marriage is a religous practice belongs to religion.
Please forgive me and pray for me please because I do not won't to be intolerant of anyone, I have no right to be intolerant of others.
I just don't understand why the gay community insist having the term "marriage."

Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkerInTex View Post
The term marriage is a religous term. Marriage is a religous practice belongs to religion.
Please forgive me and pray for me please because I do not won't to be intolerant of anyone, I have no right to be intolerant of others.
I just don't understand why the gay community insist having the term "marriage."
It is not about marriage. Most gays do not want to get married, just look around the world and see countries that allow gay marriage, the percentage is very low of gays marrying and with good reason because gays like their lifestyle much like their straight counterparts; marriage is too confining and restrictive.

This is about acceptance. Marriage is pretty much the last obstacle in making homosexuality a very much right, accepted, normal behaviour in our society.

The problem with this thinking is gay individuals have the right to marry just like everyone else.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting if they used a different word you'd be fine with that?

But you are correct: you have no right to be intolerant, you don't need people praying for you. You have the choice to be so intolerant.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
If marriage were only religious, then there would be no civil marriage and all the rights it gives married couples. Civil marriage and religious marriage are two completely different things. Churches have the right to marry or not marry whomever they want. The government doesn't/shouldn't have the right to pick and choose which taxpaying couples in love get the rights of marriage.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
I was thinking on this last night. What if someone proposed the following...

"Definition of Marriage and Matrimony

Civil marriage will be as it is now except that it will be allowed for same-sex and opposite-sex couples. The word 'matrimony' will not be used in civil marriage ceremonies as 'matrimony' refers to motherhood.

Matrimony will be limited to opposite sexed couples who can produce children. Entering into matrimony is therefore a sign you wish children and so will be preferred in adoption. Also, unlike marriage, matrimony will not be subject to 'no fault divorce.' To dissolve a matrimonial union you will need to show one of the following: Abandonment, Abuse, Addiction, Adultery, Impotence, Imprisonment, Incest (includes fondling whereas adultery doesn't), or Insanity. Matrimony will also have a one-week waiting period to avoid frivolous use."

That way you have something that's more anti-divorce for conservative Christians and same-sex marriage in one package. I'm not sure I'd advocate this, I'm just putting an oddball idea out there.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
I would suspect that the gays only want the same legal rights granted to most other couples in love.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
If marriage is a religious practice, then why can ship's captains and justices of the peace marry people? Sorry, I won't pray for you because I believe prayer is a pointless exercise in futility.

I don't understand why the heterosexual community would think that allowing gays to marry would destroy their marriages.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If marriage is a religious practice, then why can ship's captains and justices of the peace marry people? Sorry, I won't pray for you because I believe prayer is a pointless exercise in futility.

I don't understand why the heterosexual community would think that allowing gays to marry would destroy their marriages.

I guess they are just really really paranoid and feel threatened in some way. I've never understood it myself...

Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
In Canada of course gays can marry, but individual churches have the right to refuse.

"WHEREAS everyone has the freedom of conscience and religion under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and officials of religious groups are free to refuse to perform marriages that are not in accordance with their religious beliefs."

Weeks after Canadian high courts ruled to allow same-sex marriage in two provinces, delegates from Canada's largest Protestant community passed a motion calling on the federal government to endorse same-sex marriage throughout the country. The 38th General Council of the United Church of Canada, representing Methodists, Presbyterians and the Congregational Union of Canada,

Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Are you suggesting if they used a different word you'd be fine with that?
Yes.
And alot of gays feel the same way.
They know the definition and origin of the word 'marriage', and would be happy with "Civil Union" or "Partnership" with all the same rights and benefits.
You just don't get to hear their opinions. They're not as controversial and newsworthy.

A co-manager of mine's favorite phrase is, "You can't put an eraser on a fork and call it a pencil".
He and his partner are very close friends of our's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.