Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in the 2016 general election?
Hillary Clinton 40 43.48%
Donald Trump 34 36.96%
Gary Johnson 9 9.78%
Jill Stein 3 3.26%
Other 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
If Ohio was not a swing state I'd go for Jill Stein...but I cannot possibly allow my vote to help Donald Trump, who is a fascist in the making, win this election...
All along through the Dem Primary, I was Bernie Sanders or bust as I have serious reservations about Hillary and her ties to Wall Street, her backing of fracking and unfriendly environmental policy, her backing of big insurance, her support of privatizing prisons, and her backing of TPP and other free trade agreements that send jobs to other countries...but Trump would be so much worse...so I can't in good conscious vote for anyone but Hillary.
Me to a T. I don't like her, for the reasons you stated, and because I am morally opposed to the death penalty. I am angry, because we HAD a great candidate in Bernie Sanders, and yes, I do think that HRC and the DNC "toyed" with the polls.

I love Bernie, and if by some miracle he is nominated, he gets my vote. An honest, plain spoken man.

However, I will vote to keep Donald Trump from the White House.

No. HRC is not likable. And no. I don't want to go out for a beer with her. And I disagree with her more than agree. But she is not insane.

She is a typical, and somewhat corrupt politician. She cares very much what others think and what will be said about her in the history books that she desperately wants to be a part of. It is good that she cares what others think.
She will appoint reasonable SCOTUS justices.

Trump scares me.

However, until it's over? #StillSanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Nationalism, especially due to rabid immigrant bigotry (or other convenient scapegoat), is a totally losing proposition. It has never worked out historically, and it pretty much always severely impacts the base nation, whether through war, economic power loss or both. The breakup of the UK and EU has massive econonomic and social consequences, including for the US. Consider that the next time the US has a major foreign military engagement, the allied forces won't necessarily be there, or won't be there in as large of numbers. And a fractioned, isolated Europe is ripe for the rise of demagogues, especially when the reasoning for it revolves around fear and bigotry. We already know what can come out of such a situation. We've seen it time and time again throughout history. People who think this is great news are kidding themselves.
While there are always going to be extremists, I don't believe people wanting a halt to out of control immigration is extreme or even nationalistic for the most part. After watching what has happened to their communities due to massive immigration, whether legal or illegal, it's more than understandable that citizens would be upset that their quality of life has greatly suffered. It was clear that too much legal immigration primarily into England was one of the biggest reasons Brexit won the day. Scotland and Northern Ireland haven't had to deal with it as much as England has, where many communities have been severely affected.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Christian and exremist aren't mutually exclusive. Wanting the US to be a theocracy when the Founders wanted nothing to do with such a system, is being an extremist. The "right thing" morally depends on who you ask, and how can you sit there and say one religion is right and wrong over another? All religion is based on faith, not fact. They're all exactly the same. Just because you personally may be a Christian and agree with Cruz does not give you the right to declare that the many millions of people out there who aren't, including many who aren't religious at all, be ignored or marginalized within their own country, especially when it so clearly violates the very document that governs the nation.

Of course you would blame Obama for the shutdown, but Obama has clearly never had very much control over the Republican congress. It's ridiculous and dishonest to suggest otherwise.

Actually, Trump's position on immigration is not only racist, it is bigoted, nationalistic, irrational, fear-mongering and antithetical to American values. I was being too kind before. I am so sick to death of these BS talking points about how immigrants are ruining America. Did you not miss my post about how the US is still the world's most powerful nation on earth and in all of human history? And that that reality was built on being an immigrant nation. Further, wtf are you talking about? The US Muslim population is very small. The Orlando and San Bernardino attacks were US citizens and not immigrants. The Orlando guy was a closet gay who had an as}hole father who raised him in bigotry and self-hate. It's a wonder he didn't snap a lot earlier in life. Regardless, the vast majority of mass shootings have absolutely no Muslims involved whatsoever. This is just fear-mongering tripe, period. And it is a disgusting suggestion that there should be a religious litmus test as to who is allowed to exist in the US. That is so anti-American I have trouble believing you have any understanding of either the Constitution or the founding history of our country. It is completely shameful.

And please. You can pretend like the decision to support Trump was a thoughtful, difficult one, but your positions above leave little doubt that you love the guy. He validates every irrational fear and hate people have, and you seem to have a lot of them.
This is one of the most disgraceful posts I've seen on CD's forums.

First of all, all of you anti-Cruz morons have been falsely charging Cruz with wanting to install a theocracy, which is baseless and slanderous. Most of our Presidents, especially through the first half of the 20th century, were devout Christians. No different than Cruz. According to your illogical logic devout Christians need not apply for the office of the President of the United States. Never forget, it was intended to be freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. It's you and people with your warped logic that want to marginalize Christians, not the other way around.

Obama hasn't had much control over the Republican controlled Congress??? You haven't been paying attention.

So you are justifying 10's of millions of illegals in the country, taking jobs from American workers by undercutting wages while getting paid under the table, inundating communities with numbers to take them over, raising crime rates, etc., etc., etc. And exactly why would you be defending their actions? Does it have anything to do with 'Mexico City from Columbus, Ohio', and the fact you have your own personal bias against Americans in favor of those from south of the border? It certainly sounds like it. Trump's right on the money regarding illegal immigration, except I don't believe he'll fulfil his promises on the issue. Came into the country illegally? Then the illegal should have to go back, period.

As far as the Muslims, why would it matter how many are in this country? There are enough to carry out terrorists attacks killing innocent Americans, and it's already happened so you can't deny it. Considering the way you've shown your mind works my guess is you think the victims deserved it.

It makes absolutely no sense to allow people to immigrate to our country if they don't share our values, and believe we are infidels in need of converting or killing. But you obviously want to ignore that aspect of it, all in the name of demonizing anyone who wants our immigration policy enforced and upgraded with the quality of life of our own people taking priority.

Hope after the tequila wore off you re-read your post and realized how shameful it was.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Cruz is a Christian extremist IMO.

He is way too religious to be trusted. Anyone who thinks, in our country, that their religion should be followed by the masses is an extremist.

Trumps position on immigration from a religious standpoint is indeed xenophobic IMO. Americans who practice Islam have been in this country for hundreds of years. All of the sudden placing specific bans on immigration based on religion or denying re-entry into the country based on someone being Muslim is xenophobic and unnecessary. I remember a facebook meme someone posted about muslims which basically stated:

There are nearly 2 billion Muslims in the world. If Islam was truly a religion of violence, we'd all be dead by now.

In regards to Latino immigrants and illegal immigration, there are MANY solutions that can and should be worked out in congress IMO. I would actually love to see an amendment to re-define American citizenship to being having at least one parent being an American citizen at the birth of their child and would support amnesty with conditions (fines and/or military service). If we can get some rational people in Congress (on both sides mind you) it can be worked out and settled.
I listened and watched many of Cruz' speeches during the primaries, and from other times, and never heard anything suggesting Cruz wanted to turn this country into a theocracy as so many have claimed. Just the opposite in fact, he clearly stated he was running to be President not as religious leader of the country. I would trust someone who practices good Christian values in their daily life, more than I would an atheist or agnostic, any day of the week.

While I believe Trump saying he wanted a temporary ban on Muslim immigration went too far, I do understand why he thought it prudent that our immigration policy be re-evaluated, all things considered, including Muslim terrorism. It's indeed not xenophobic at all to want to protect the safety of our citizens from the very people who want to fly here to murder us in cold blood.

As far as there being 2 billion Muslims, I hope you realize the ancestors of many of them were Christian or Jewish, or something else, but were forced to convert or be killed centuries ago. So it's ironic that someone used that number to show how peaceful they must be.

Ask the Orthodox Church in Turkey how peaceful Muslims there are towards them. Before Muslims had the numbers in that country it was peaceful for that church to operate. Once the Muslims obtained a large majority of the population the Orthodox Church received many threats and attempts to destroy it and kill the religious leaders living on the church grounds. It has to be protected by the police to survive. 60 Minutes did a piece on it several years ago, they may have it on their site.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
I will have to say that the Cruz wants a theocracy bit has gotten old, both on this thread and in many posts in the P&OC section. It's a line of thinking that is moronic and baseless to say the least but it lets everyone know how misinformed they really are.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I will have to say that the Cruz wants a theocracy bit has gotten old, both on this thread and in many posts in the P&OC section. It's a line of thinking that is moronic and baseless to say the least but it lets everyone know how misinformed they really are.
I do not like Cruz at all, but you're correct, it's just slander. Now if this were someone saying something accurate about Hillary Clinton (like the fact that she's supported every war the USA has been involved in since she became first lady) that, for some reason, is just the talk of a backwards misinformed paranoid republican. It's actually quite simple: progressives are the intellectual elite and are never wrong, so just defer your opinions to their ultimate judgement.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,147,006 times
Trump today in Bangor, Maine. Trump has the support of the people and that's what counts.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
This is one of the most disgraceful posts I've seen on CD's forums.

First of all, all of you anti-Cruz morons have been falsely charging Cruz with wanting to install a theocracy, which is baseless and slanderous. Most of our Presidents, especially through the first half of the 20th century, were devout Christians. No different than Cruz. According to your illogical logic devout Christians need not apply for the office of the President of the United States. Never forget, it was intended to be freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. It's you and people with your warped logic that want to marginalize Christians, not the other way around...

...Hope after the tequila wore off you re-read your post and realized how shameful it was.
In such condemnation of jbcmh81's post, it's best you put the brakes on right, primarily because your own unabashed defense of Christianity is, in itself, evidence of an irrational mindset. There are valid reasons why this ancient Abrahamic religion is dying out in technological First World European nations and America, while growing stronger in primitive Third World regions like South American and Africa.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:36 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
While there are always going to be extremists, I don't believe people wanting a halt to out of control immigration is extreme or even nationalistic for the most part. After watching what has happened to their communities due to massive immigration, whether legal or illegal, it's more than understandable that citizens would be upset that their quality of life has greatly suffered. It was clear that too much legal immigration primarily into England was one of the biggest reasons Brexit won the day. Scotland and Northern Ireland haven't had to deal with it as much as England has, where many communities have been severely affected.
If you really want to tackle immigration, you tackle immigration law, not build useless walls and engage in bigoted rhetoric and isolationism.

Name a community that has suffered severe decline specifically due to immigration.

Yes, anti-immigrant bigotry was largely responsible for Brexit, and now look at the consequences. A large number of people have immediately regretted their vote, the pound is the weakest in decades, there is a huge unknown if England will be able to negotiate favorable trade deals from the EU, a guarantee lost with the vote (this also assumes the EU even lasts), all British citizens, especially younger generations, can now no longer easily travel through Europe (or go to school, get jobs, etc). Even the big proponents of Brexit are dropping out like flies. Is this what you want for America? A weakened economy caused by empty suits with a lot of anger but little substance, not to mention a whole lot of unknowns and probably very little, if any, real immigration change? Again, if you want to solve whatever immigration problems there are, the best and most rational way to do that is demand that Congress actually work to come up with reasonable solutions. You don't instead vote for racist demogogues because they tell you what you want to hear.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
All of Cruz's policies, especially socially, were based on his religion rather than the Constitution or secular law. That is what I am talking about when saying he wants the US to be a theocracy. He repeatedly said that the nation was founded on Christian principles and that the nation was moving away from that, which is a lie. It was not and isn't. I have no idea what you guys saw that makes you think otherwise. Now, before anyone implies it, I have nothing against Christianity itself, or really any religion. People can believe whatever they want. However, when we are talking about the rule of law for the US, that is different. Religion has no role in secular government in the same way that the teaching of creationism doesn't belong in science class in public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio