Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:34 AM

11 posts, read 39,033 times

Advertisements

( and yes , i said america.)

Something like uSA?

And I have been Circleville a few times. The first time was with a group that went down to help after the tornados years ago..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2006, 07:03 AM

73 posts, read 320,640 times
is circleville where the paper mill is?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:36 AM

23 posts, read 22,427 times
Default Ohio

If you are considering moving to Ohio – make sure that you have a job lined up and DO NOT LOSE IT. It is critical that you find out the employment situation in the area that you would like to move – so many areas in Ohio are really in trouble. Columbus is the exception; it is the ONLY big city is Ohio that hasn’t lost population since 1970.

Layoffs in Ohio so far this year -- these are ONLY companies that have a minimum of 100 employees. This means that MOST layoffs are not included on this list.

Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati -- 85 layoffs
Sara Lee Food & Beverage, Cincinnati -- 334 layoffs
Johnson Controls, Inc., West Carrollton 115 layoffs
General Motors -Moraine Assembly Plant, Moraine -- 1100 layoffs
Armstrong Air Conditioning, Bellevue -- 300 layoffs
Industrial Powder Coatings, Inc. Norwalk -- 142 layoffs
Tower Automotive, Inc.. Bluffton -- 210 layoffs
Intier Seating Systems, Lordstown -- 73 layoffs
Venture Lighting International, Inc., Solon -- 100 layoffs
Plastech Napoleon -- 218 layoffs
The Little Tikes Co., A Division of Newell Rubbermaid Hudson-- 149 layoffs
HealthSouth Corporation, Youngstown -- 67 layoffs
Schindler Elevator Company, Sidney -- 67 layoffs
TRI Palm International, LLC Columbus -- 120 layoffs
ADS Alliance Data Systems, Inc., Reno -- 155 layoffs
Bank of America/MBNA, Beachwood -- 234 layoffs
UPS Cartage Services, Inc. Vandalia -- 1,210 layoffs
Pitney Bowes Management Services Cincinnati -- 75 layoffs
Summit Insurance Company, Troy -- 55 layoffs
Penske Logistics, LLC, Warren -- 65 layoffs
TFE Logistics Group, Inc., Blacklick 63 layoffs
Cracker Barrel Medina, -- 78 layoffs
Washington Mutual, Springdale -- 55 layoffs
Unizan Financial Corporation, Canton -- 56 layoffs
Unizan Financial Corporation, Zanesville -- 84 layoffs
Ward/Kraft, Inc., Fredricktown -- 71 layoffs
G.I. Plastek, L.P., Marysville -- 117 layoffs
Creative Engineered Polymer Products, LLC, West Alexandria -- 68 layoffs
Advance Stores Company, Jeffersonville -- 77 layoffs
MAY Credit Service Center/Great Lakes Data Center Lorain -- 253 layoffs
Chase Automotive Finance, Akron -- 158 layoffs
Product Action International, LLC, Youngstown -- 176 layoffs
TNS Custom Research, Inc., Toledo -- 148 layoffs
Flour Fernald, Cincinnati -- 190 layoffs
Rubbermaid, Canton -- 290 layoffs
Macy's/Kaufmann's, Mansfield 88
Macy's/Kaufmann's, Columbus -- 108 layoffs
Hampson Corporation, North Ridgesville -- 95 layoffs
Blackhawk Automotive Plastics, Inc., Upper Sandusky -- 287 layoffs
Konica Minolta, Hudson -- 63 layoffs
OfficeMax, Shaker Heights -- 494 layoffs
Roadway Express, North Lima -- 73 layoffs

Old 05-10-2006, 04:30 PM

15 posts, read 75,999 times
I am interested on moving to ohio. I used to live in PA. Now in Maine. What is the political view there. Is there a smoking ban in restaurants and bars. I loved PA felt free there. Don't like Maine. Looking for rural area within 20 minutes of midsize town. Thank You Esta

Old 05-10-2006, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 15,043 times
https://www.city-data.com/city/Matamoras-Ohio.html

Grew up there. Went away for several years, and lived in New Mexico and North Carolina. Four places to eat, a grocery, a gas station, a video store, the historical society, a library, a bank, and fifteen minutes from the nearest Wal-Mart. The schools were rebuilt around three years ago, and the library about ten.

I'm back now, and I'm 100% sure that I'm "home"

Chuck

Old 05-10-2006, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 15,043 times
No smoking ban there, by the way, and I forgot that there's one bar on the outskirts, a carry-out a mile further, and another bar in the next town down.

Four miles from what I think may be the last ferry operating on the Ohio River

Chuck

Old 05-10-2006, 07:52 PM

26 posts, read 167,154 times
Default Check out New Concord

New Concord is a great town. It's the home of John Glenn Simple, charming with a small liberal arts college. Also, Marietta is quite nice on the Ohio River.
Ella: I saw your post on the Maine site as well as I hope to move there. Just so you know, most small towns in Ohio are quite conservative.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,516 times
Well since everyone is spealing about how great there town is i mise well to LOL...

I live in a town in North central ohio called Bucyrus (crawford county-13500 people-which it dont even seem like that many) which is the home of The Bratwurst Festival (which if you like bratwurst you would love it here due to a couple stores who sell the greatest brats year round).

Even though this town is 98% caucasion we dont have the racial problems like some places do.Everyone and anyone is welcome here without getting looked at twice which is what i love.And the overall politic thing well quite frankly i have no clue-basically a mix.I personally am a democrat while my mom that lives in this town is a republican so on that regard everyone is welcome also.

I have grew up here and its a wonderful place for people with children or for older individuals.Very small town feel but at the same time you dont know everyone so people aint all up in your business which i love compared to some of the real small towns.

There is always something going on here from jazz bands in the park to bands on the square every thursday.There is a movie theater,bowling,a few resturants,6 fastfood places,handful of pizza joints and drive thrus.They had two gorgeous murals painted up town one on the square in a little park with lighted fountain and another beside a new icecream joint.

Even though we are a town they are adding more and more shops such as the newer walmart super center on the edge of town (right beside US 30) with other shops in the shopping center.The schools are great on education.The cops dont hassle you like they do in some of the other small towns around here and basically everyone is out to help the neighbor really.

The park here is awesome due to the area business owners and individuals all sponsered to have a castle wooden playset built for the kids,5 baseball areas,tons of other toys,swimming pool with two diving boards,great place (and cheap) to have family reunions,ect...

There is no murder,afraid to walk down the street,ect... in this town.Heck i even leave my car doors unlocked with money in the glove comp. or leave my house unlocked when i leave and never any worries.

Your also only 20-30 minutes away from a midsize town that has anything you could possibly want and about an hour or a little more (all depends on how fast you drive LOL) from columbus,2 hrs from ft. wayne.

The main saying with Ohio is you never know what tom. brings (in weather that is).Some winters it gets below 0 and other times (like last year) the lowest it got was in the 20's.Summer isnt to awfully hot.But yeah at times in one day it could be 60 and by night it would be 20 so the weather changes dramatically.

Yes i agree with a previous poster is to make sure you have a job lined up before you move here unless of course your a truck driver which my hubby is and you can always find a job in the drop of a hat without worrying where you live.

Ohio real estate is actually quite cheap compared to some other states i have seen so more house for your money.For job wise here in town there is a Timken factory which pays really good money but overall all most jobs are in marion which is 20-30 minutes away or mansfield which is about 45 minutes away.

Wish you luck on wherever you decide to move to!

Last edited by alisia24; 06-16-2006 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-16-2006, 08:30 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,936 times
Quote:
I am interested on moving to ohio. I used to live in PA. Now in Maine. What is the political view there. Is there a smoking ban in restaurants and bars. I loved PA felt free there. Don't like Maine. Looking for rural area within 20 minutes of midsize town. Thank You Esta
Esta i think you will like Ohio. I am also from PA. I moved out of Pittsburgh to Cleveland. Northern Ohio isnt very conservative. I really dont miss PA. Just family and friends. But i have made plenty of friends here in Ohio. NE Ohio and SW Ohio are my favorite parts of the state. With great cities like Cleveland, Akron, and Canton in the NE. And Columbus, Cincinnati, Hamilton in the SW. Even though SW Ohio is growing pretty quickly it just shows that area is attractive to many people out of state. And NE Ohio has alot of people from Western PA and SE Michigan moving here. But im sure coming from Maine you will really like Ohio.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,178 times
We have lived in Yellow Springs 35 years. I moved here from Chicago, my husband from Boston. We are needing to grow to enhance our tax base and enrich our downtown. But....it is expensive to rent or buy here. Affordable housing options are developing and there are creative ideas afoot for new ecologically sound housing (land is getting very expensive). We are a college town, like to think of ourselves as liberals, but as we get richer, we get more Republican. We need some Democrats!!!!! ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio