Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 47,354 times

Advertisements

Ohioan,
I have to beg to differ..When I lived in Ohio the money was WAY better & the Price of livin' was lower than it is / & was here in Louisiana....I would prefer that senerio NE DAY !!!

Willow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2006, 05:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708
cwarner i saw you were also looking into Michigan. Dont move there!! Michigan has a very high crime rate the unemployment rate is out the roof. Ohio is a great state to live in that offers many oppurtunities. Good luck with whatever you find. I moved to Ohio from Pennsylvania and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Good Luck.
I'll preface this by saying I moved to Michigan 4 years ago and hate the Midwest; will move away in a couple of years and can't wait!
Having said that - most of Michigan is NOT high crime (just Detroit, Flint and a few other smaller cities.) The rural areas and smaller cities are generally really safe, good schools, affordable real estate, etc.
Most suburbs are safe. And the job market generally isn't good - but it depends what line of work one is in. Certainly hundreds of thousands of people here make a very, very good living. I moved here from Colorado (biiiig mistake LOL) and actually do better with my business; I'm self employed. Housing costs and taxes are lower compared to Colorado, though the quality of life doesn't hold a candle... My ex is in the medical field and moved here for a higher salary...medical professionals are in pretty high demand.
Sorry I'm not much help on the Ohio question, and I can't believe I'm defending Michigan! Just wanted to say, don't paint the entire state with a broad brush, it's got plenty of healthy areas.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,717 times
All posts by Ohioan have been deleted as per his request.
Regards,
markablue

Old 05-02-2006, 03:02 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,970 times
True travelling paws. I think every state gets that. If they have a city like Detroit it overshawdows the fact that it is a good state to live in. The rural areas are safe. And the schools are good depending on where you go.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:05 PM

Smurf i think an area you would like to check out is the Columbus metro. Maybe Dublin or Hilliard. Great suburbs. But also check the Cincy metro. Middletown and Hamilton are great cities. I moved to the Cleveland metro 3 years ago and i really like it here. I live in Westlake and i find it to be an awesome town. They have great beaches in the summer and downtown Cleveland is great. There is alot of development going on. Ohio is a great state that offers alot. Even if it does have its problems. Every state does.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:36 PM

11 posts, read 39,026 times
Thanks for the reply paintballer1708. I am in the Cleveland-Akron area and am just tired of the "big city" lifestyle. As a retired semi-pro musician of 35 years have had enough bars, clubs, coffee houses, and the "life" and just want some peace and quite for a few years. I will check out the areas you mentioned since I had not thought of those. Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2006, 02:18 PM

No problem smurf. The things i like about Dublin and Hilliard is that they are decent size and far enough away from the city and they have that small feel to them. The whole Columbus metro has so many good companies its economy is really doing well. Same with the Cincy metro. But Middletown and Hamilton are growing at fast rates. Also a really great town about 25 miles north of Columbus is Deleware. That is a great town. But if you have anymore questions ask. I moved to Ohio from PA and i really like it here. I have made many great friends and i love my job and everyone is really nice. Good luck with what you find.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:30 AM

11 posts, read 39,026 times
Thanks again for all the info paintballer1708!

Old 05-04-2006, 10:37 AM

24 posts, read 103,418 times
If you're going to take a look at a town............ Take a look at Circleville. We're a fairly small town (12k) About 30-40min from columbus(south). Its a very good area to live in. City-data has alot of good , factual information about it. As you can tell by the name , i'm a real estate agent , but we won't go there , BUT the neat thing is , the city does grant money to buy houses in our area.

The nice thing about circleville, and central-southern ohio is the fact that we have a fairly low cost of living. Housing costs are very moderate ,and various goods and services are moderately low as well. Trade this off with a drive time factor to columbus ,and living isn't too bad in our area. Our town is known for the Pumpkin Show , maybe you've heard of it , but its one of the largest festivals in america ( and yes , i said america.) Last year , i believe we had a total of 600,000 people come to it. Its a very amazing thing for such a small town to have. If you want to see what Ohio is like , i'd sugguest you stop by our area in october when its going on and see what its like.

As people have mentioned before , Ohio isn't perfect , but what state is? I feel the positives outweigh the negatives ,and that's a good thing.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:56 PM

As people have mentioned before , Ohio isn't perfect , but what state is? I feel the positives outweigh the negatives ,and that's a good thing.

Thank you so much for saying that. That makes 110% sense. Ohio may have its problems but which states out there doesnt? No place is perfect. And every place has its bads and its goods.

Last edited by paintballer1708; 05-04-2006 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio