Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:55 PM

976 posts, read 3,865,060 times

Advertisements

Donna, i can agree with you on a lot of the things you said, but i can also disagree with a lot of the things you said. Im sure i was one of the people who made you laugh when i said Ohio has a lot of oppurtunity. I dont know why. You must not know what is going on here. I lived in NE Ohio for two years. Cleveland, Akron and Canton are all on the rebound and coming back very fast. They have growing populations in the metro areas, and Cleveland is showing signs of a possible increase in the city's center population. Akron has been booming these last few years. I know all of this stuff because my career gets into all these facts. Economy and sorts. I am an Urban Planner, and the construction in Ohio is booming. If construction isnt booming like it is now than, yes the economy is in trouble.

Ohio's unemployment rate is at 4.9%. That is really good. We have a better employment rate than Texas and California. You say that Ohio doesnt have good paying jobs. Well i know plenty of people that have great jobs with really good benefits. And even if you look at states like Florida, many people work at McDonalds and Burger King and behind counters. Its not just a few states across the nation. Many see that problem. I know many people who have graduated college and then moved to Ohio. I made the mistake of graduating college and then moving to Michigan. I had enough of that state for just about six months. I moved back to Pennsylvania then came to Ohio.

I agree with you 110% on the curruption. I think our government here in this state needs to stop playing democrate vs republican and get along. The problem is the southern part of the state tends to vote red, while the northern part of the state votes blue. I hope the new governor of Ohio gets the curruption under control. I know Ken Blackwell and Ted Strickland are having a debate in the city of Youngstown today. Right now most Ohioans are voting for Ted Strickland, and i hope he is the one to become govenor.

I have moved to Ohio, and i have found it to be a great state. I have said this numerous times, every single state out there has its problems. I have been to so many because my job requires it. You think Ohio has it bad, lol you have no idea. Like i said my job deals with the economic factor of a state. Well in knowing that so many states out there have horrible economies. Ohio has diversified its economy very well. I look at states like Michigan who still depend on the auto industry. I look at Ohio, a great state, with an amazing history, and the future looks very very good for this state.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:42 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,209,923 times
Default I have no need to defend Ohio

Ohio is what it is, and one person's paradise is another person's h*ll, depending on what they're looking for, where they're moving from (trying to get away from or get to), and on and on. Whether I "know" anything or not, I'm not in the least bit concerned. Kudos to you and that's the end of that.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:49 PM

123 posts, read 560,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I read your original post a few days after it was posted, and while I personally thought that some of it (a little bit of the rant part) is probably due to you missing Maryland, I don't think that you are way off.
I do miss it out there in MD somewhat, actually just returned yesterday from my brothers house in Annapolis. I saw the weak end of T/S Ernesto. After that I may move back, but I have decided to at least check out a few other states first.

Quote:
The weather is not my cup of tea, and it gets harder as I get older (the SUNLESS winters. I can take the cold, but cannot tolerate the LACK of sun). The summers are humid, but as people like to say, there is air-conditioning, if you don't mind oppressive and expensive "heating" bills in the summer. Well, let's not forget the "heating" bills in the winter either. The weather is weather; a state can't change that.
Absolutely, and I am not looking forward to the decline in weather in the next 60 days. I remember last winter paying $400-$500/month to heat my house, keeping the thermostat at 60-65. I hope the gas prices come down alittle bit this winter, if I have to stay that long (ugh).

Quote:
I have to say that Ohio has it's share of wonderful people, family-oriented people, people who would be wonderful no matter where they lived. They are just salt-of-the earth type people. On the other hand, I find that little towns which seem quaint and charming on the outside are filled with nosey gossipers and small-town minds; this isn't exclusive to just Ohio though.
Spot on. Couldnt have said it better. This is exactly what I am referring to. I know many good people here, but the "other kind" seem to outnumber the good ones.

Quote:
So, Onewayout, I wish you the best when you're ready to move to Maryland, or another state that might suit you better.
Thank you Donna. I am waiting on my house to sell, then Im way out of here, as soon as possible. I plan on going back to Arizona in the next couple months to have another look around. I am going to Atlanta in October too. We will see what happens.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,849 times
Growing up in Ohio was great...and yes..Mom and Dad called it a sweeper and Pop..living in the south for the past 25 years has made me think that the only reason people in Ohio are more reserved (not rude)...has to do with all that darn snow and cold weather...I hate to think how much Mentor has grown...have not been there in 25 years.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
Why did you come here in the first place? Job? Relationship? You should have rented first before buying a house! We are looking to move to one of the southern states...we will rent for a year and check out the area.
I came here on a transfer from a company I was working for in MD. I will definately not buy a house in the next state I move to, for at least 3 years! Lesson learned there.

Quote:
I live in Michigan all my life and have spent time visiting relatives in Ohio. I usually wear my MSU gear. During my many trips to Ohio, I have been heckled by OSU fans twice. I find people to be mature and friendly in Ohio. Most people in Ohio hate U of M with a passion.
This is true. I'm not into the OSU U of M rivalry too much. Its amazing how the area changes when the OSU/Mich game is approaching. It seems thats all that matters around here. Maybe its because Toledo is so dangerously close to the Michigan line? Ive seen riots in Columbus in the past over this.

Quote:
Have you heard of China? Mexico? or India? Most of the manufacturing jobs are being shipped there. Many people lost their jobs and are having a hard time selling their homes. Michigan got hit hard with high unemployment of 7% or whatever it is now.

Good luck in the future!
True, the manufacturing sector is hurting right now. Like Michigan, parts of OH are seeing the same fate. It doesnt seem to be as bad in OH. Ive had one offer on my house in a year. It is now listed for a significant amount below appraisal. Next offer will probably get it, if there is one, and within reason. Hopefully I can sell it and still come away with some extra cash to move!

Old 09-08-2006, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,699 times
[quote=OneWayOut;71671]Hello all, Im new to this forum. I just started researching a few other states, and decided to join in. Ive been stuck here in OH, dangerously close to the Michigan line, for a few years now. I am trying relentlessly to get out, but it seems every other day something happens here to prevent it. Biggest mistake I ever made was moving here from Maryland. Here are my reasons.

1. People. There are some good people here. Dont get me wrong. Otherwise, they are very cliquey, rude, fake, and will backstab you in a moments notice. Getting drunk and driving old beat-up Camaros to the trailer park to see your girl seems to be the favorite pastime– It is at least in the part of Ohio that I am stuck in (Toledo). You have to be a “good ‘ol boy” to fit in here. Get drunk, and watch OSU!! If thats not your bag, plenty of tattoos, hat turned sideways, shorts falling off your rear, and plenty more alcohol coupled with pot (or something worse) is the way.

Aside from that, they have their own native language here. For example, instead of a “vacuum” it is called a sweeper. Sweepers are machine guns or brooms, not vacuums. When you say “thank you” to an Ohioan, all you get is “YEP”. “Your welcome” is not in their vocabulary. Also, soda here is called “POP”, A pop is a noise, not a softdrink. (I know, grow up, but these are pet peeves) These are just a few examples, there are many many more. The accent is a cross between the Kentucky drawl, and the Michigan roll. They couldnt come up with one on their own. There seems to be a problem with teenage pregnancy, and single women that have 5 kids with all different fathers.

2.The weather. Summers are oppresively humid, rainy, seldom sunny, and very short. Mosquitoes are as big as squirrels, and will attack you relentlessly even if you were swimming in a bath of bug spray. Winters are so cold that you cant even touch your steering wheel in the morning without your fingers freezing to it– thats if you can get into your car after scraping 3 inches of ice off of it. Long, gloomy, sub-zero winters are the norm. They last from October to April here. They use salt on the roads, so not only does your car freeze, it rusts out all over. The brown nasty slush on the roads in winter is no picnic either.

3. Economy. I have been trying to sell my house and move out, almost a year now. I have dropped the price twice. It is now quite less than what it appraised at. I live in what is supposed to be a “nice neighboorhood” by Ohio standards. Toledo is very slow right now. There are very very few jobs that dont consist of waiting tables, or low paid factory work. No wonder I cant sell it. Those that have good jobs here are either lawyers or doctors. Ohio has one of the highest bankruptcy rates, so go figure. I can say im glad to have the job that I have, but I have found it pays better elsewhere.

4. Toledo & Vicinity: I have never seen some where that is so sports-barified in my life. Chain restaurants and big box stores are everywhere. This is becoming the norm most everywhere though. It is ridiculous. It is impossible to get anywhere without driving. The bus system is sub par, and hardly runs anywhere– if you want to go to a bar or club, your out of luck unless a DD can be found. Walking anywhere is out of the question. That normally does not bother me that much, but just adds to the difficulty of having some kind of fun here. There is no culture here. The downtown is a lifeless concrete nightmare, and the rest is just ghetto stick houses. The only plus side, is 5/3 Field. I will give it that-- except that I object to it being named after a bank. Again, sign of the times.

Outdoors life is nearly non-existent. Cedar Point is the only plus if your into that. Going fishing in polluted lakes and rivers and getting wasted while doing it is all there is. I was in Fremont just today, and drove over the Sandusky river bridge, and it smelled of sewage. Golf and parks get old quick when they look the same. There are no mountains, ORV parks, or nice huge national parks here. Flat as a table top. You have to drive for 3 hours to see even small hills.

I could go on for hours, but that should give you a good idea. Thanks for reading my rant. I am looking at North Carolina, Arizona, Oregon, or Georgia right now as possible new homes. I have been to all, and have not decided which to move to yet. But I cant even move till my house sells. Pardon any misspellings or grammatical errors, its not because im from Ohio.

I just moved to Southeastern Ohio with it's beautiful trees and rolling hills. We moved from Alaska where I lived for 36 yrs because of a job. We were able to get a beautiful home for a fraction of what it would cost in Alaska, though I still believe Alaska is the most beautiful state. However, I like it here. There is plenty of "culture." and I am looking forward to having 4 seasons. I find the majority of people here quite pleasant and kind.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM
HAS

106 posts, read 593,691 times
Exclamation Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaam View Post
Growing up in Ohio was great...and yes..Mom and Dad called it a sweeper and Pop..living in the south for the past 25 years has made me think that the only reason people in Ohio are more reserved (not rude)...has to do with all that darn snow and cold weather...I hate to think how much Mentor has grown...have not been there in 25 years.
Yeah, Mentor is huge! It's like a mini-Cleveland. Awful traffic, lots of businesses and restaurants...

It's nice, though, living in Painesville and being able to access Mentor quickly, but not having to actually LIVE there.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 PM

Once again oneway, you said that there are nice ones, but the the majority are the weird ones. That makes no sense at all. That is your opinion on people. I have found most people in both NE Ohio and SW Ohio to be very nice and helpful. My new neighbors took us out to eat the other night, and some people from work all went out to the city and had a great time. Like i said if you really want to see some weird people travel to central Pennsylvania. BTW, have you found a house in Maryland. What other states are you looking into. I hope the move is moving smoothly.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Once again oneway, you said that there are nice ones, but the the majority are the weird ones. That makes no sense at all.
Right. Whether or not it makes sense to you. Come live here for a month and see if you say the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
BTW, have you found a house in Maryland. What other states are you looking into. I hope the move is moving smoothly.
Im going to Atlanta next month for a week to explore. Then Arizona again for new years. I want to check them out before deciding to move back to MD. I cant do a thing until my house sells. I considered renting it out, but I dont know if being a long-distance landlord is such a hot idea. Im thinking not.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:44 PM

^Well first off i could go live there for a month and my opinion would be completely different. Like i said that is your opinion on how they act. Sorry if you are not use to it. You will find strange people all across the nation. In Maryland, Georgia, Arizona, and North Carolina. You would be suprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio