Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:45 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times

Advertisements

OneWayOut, i hope everything goes well in your next move. To wish someone a bad move or no luck at all is just plain old wrong. But, it does seem like you are acting like there are places out there that are perfect. There are a lot of states out there that have much worse problems than Ohio. Toledo has had the 6th largest amount of development in the Midwest, its just starting off slow. Thats a good thing though. I know they are planning well and trying to figure out what is best for the city. Trust me i know this. They start off slow, they have a well developed city, with great plans. Like i said it must be the people you are around. I have found people to be very friendly here. The only accents i hear are from people that have moved here from other states. Esp Michigan and New York living here. All my neighbors living around me are from different states. Thats telling you that Ohio is attractive to other people, maybe not you, but other people, yes.

So far this summer it has been very hot. I live in Cuyahoga County just west of Lake County. They had flooding and my grass is turning brown. We really havent had a lot of rain. Its been very nice and sunny. We have the change of seasons which is really nice. Ohio is a very nice place to live in.

Like i said i have family moving up to Columbus from Florida. They are really looking forward to it. They can get so much for their money here. And the school systems are so much better.

I just hope you realize that no place is perfect, every state out there has its problems. Once again i wish you the best of luck with your move.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:17 PM

123 posts, read 560,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGry View Post
Hello OneWay,
I feel for you. But believe me when I say, whatever is in your heart to enjoy life, you will find it.
One last item: instead of AZ, have you considered living in CO? a relative lives in Denver for 4 years and swears he's there to stay.
Peace!
Thank you Crimson. Im sure I will. I know its just not here.

I am considering visiting Denver. I have heard alot of good things about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1078 View Post
OneWayOut, i hope everything goes well in your next move. To wish someone a bad move or no luck at all is just plain old wrong. But, it does seem like you are acting like there are places out there that are perfect.
Thank you. No where is perfect. There are just many more places out there that are better than this one. I moved here for a job opportunity, seemed to be the thing to do at the time. Maryland wasnt perfect either, loved it there.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Smile You Say Toe-Mate-Oh; I Say Toe-Motto!

I truly believe that every portion of this world has a certain segment of the population who are content living where they are and another segment who are living in misery. Apparently, "OneWayOut" is miserable living in Toledo, OH, and this is just his/her way of venting about his/her negative experiences in Northwest Ohio. I give him/her a lot of credit for being brave enough to come onto a mostly "rose-colored glasses" forum and spouting off negativity. I wish "OneWayOut" the best of luck in his/her relocation efforts, and I'd like to chastise those of you who are practically insulting him/her!

In my opinion, Toledo seems to be quite similar to my own hometown of Scranton, PA---A former industrial stronghold in the early-to-mid 20th Century that had seen a period of steep decline during the later 20th Century due to urban sprawl and a struggling economy. If Toledo is anything like Scranton (which I envision it to be), then Toledo has likely seen recent reinvestment in its downtown, and a greater emphasis has been placed upon improving the quality-of-life in the city as compared to its suburbs. Scranton has many new loft housing options, coffee shops, and upscale boutiques moving into town, due largely to its proximity to New York City (Toledo has a similar proximity to Detroit). One advantage that Scranton DOES have over Toledo though is that its economic prospects for the future put Toledo to shame---Scranton is being hailed as one of the prime locations for "Wall Street West", a new push for white-collar firms based in Manhattan to open up satellite offices somewhere outside of the immediate NYC area in case of future terror attacks. I don't foresee Toledo as being "Detroit South" or "Chicago East" anytime soon, but that's not to say that all hope is lost for Toledo's economic future. Being within a few hours of Detroit, Cleveland, Fort Wayne, and Columbus is something that Toledo should start using to market itself to potential firms. Scranton's location, just two hours from both Philly and NYC is helping it to grow again, and I hope Toledo can see the same results.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the "Rust Belt", including such "struggling" cities as Scranton, Buffalo, Rochester, Youngstown, Canton, and even Toledo. I someday see water shortage issues occurring in the rapidly-growing areas of Arizona, California, and Nevada pushing people back into the Northeast and MidWest for permanent relocation, and I see a bright future in store for the area surrounding the Great Lakes. I don't believe it is right for anyone to stereotype all residents of a specific metropolitan area due to several bad experiences, but if "OneWayOut" is so miserable living in Toledo, then by all means wish him/her the best of luck in his/her relocation. I've heard many people (even some of you from OHIO!!!) referencing people from PA as being "redneck hicks", but considering I have many friends who enjoy jazz cafes, sipping lattes, using iPods, Blackberries, MP3s, etc., and partaking in cultural offerings, I don't see Scranton as conforming to that unfair label (Hint hint to a certain person in this thread who offended me by calling me a redneck just because I happen to live in the Keystone State! LOL!)

Old 08-28-2006, 03:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
Default My 2 cents

Just an observation, but seems that most that didn't agree with OneWayOut live in/are from Cleveland, Cinci, or Columbus. So maybe it is different in Toledo...? Who knows? I've never been to any of them!
I would like to visit one day though... It is my goal in life to visit every state!

Old 08-28-2006, 06:34 AM

73 posts, read 320,504 times
Well, I dislike Ohio also. Not quite as much as you though. But one thing I found funny about your little hissy fit was the fact that you are considering Georgia and North Carolina after you expressed your disgust for people driving to the trailer park in their beat-up camaros and people with pants half off their butts and sideways hats. North Carolina and Georgia are full of rednecks and wannabe rappers/thugs. Worse than Ohio if you ask me. Seriously though, good luck getting out. I wish I could but Ive got family here.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I truly believe that every portion of this world has a certain segment of the population who are content living where they are and another segment who are living in misery. Apparently, "OneWayOut" is miserable living in Toledo, OH, and this is just his/her way of venting about his/her negative experiences in Northwest Ohio.
Thank you. To me, living here is misery. I believe everyone should have the right to rant about one thing or another, but sometimes it gets exaggerated when you are angry and ranting about whatever you can think of. I had no intention of insulting the rest of Ohio, the way some took it. I apologize if I offended. This is just my experience here. I have met plenty of good wholesome people here. However, there seems to be an abundance of the "other kind" here in west Toledo.

Quote:
I don't foresee Toledo as being "Detroit South" or "Chicago East" anytime soon, but that's not to say that all hope is lost for Toledo's economic future. Being within a few hours of Detroit, Cleveland, Fort Wayne, and Columbus is something that Toledo should start using to market itself to potential firms. Scranton's location, just two hours from both Philly and NYC is helping it to grow again, and I hope Toledo can see the same results.
I do think Toledo is at least trying to improve things, in their own way. At least they are trying. Many people here refer to the Toledo area as "little Detroit", and I can agree with them to a point, as my job has taken me into Detroit several times and I can see some of the same issues there as here. But this is not about Detroit.

Quote:
I've heard many people (even some of you from OHIO!!!) referencing people from PA as being "redneck hicks", but considering I have many friends who enjoy jazz cafes, sipping lattes, using iPods, Blackberries, MP3s, etc., and partaking in cultural offerings, I don't see Scranton as conforming to that unfair label (Hint hint to a certain person in this thread who offended me by calling me a redneck just because I happen to live in the Keystone State! LOL!)
I like PA. At least I like to travel there. Im sure there are "questionable" parts of PA, but there are many more "questionable" parts of Ohio too. My sister, who lives in MD, was married in Wilkes-Barre. I thought it was a very nice place. I have also traveled into parts of PA, on hiking and camping trips, and for other reasons, and had no problems with it. I have never been to Scranton. It seemed to me too that Pittsburgh is very similar to Toledo.

I was just speaking with my brother yesterday, who lives in my hometown of Annapolis, MD, and I am contemplating returning there. I would like to explore other parts of the country though, and use moving back home to MD as somewhat of a last resort, though not in a bad way. I am going to Altanta in October, and Phoenix again for New Years. We will see how it turns out.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,277 times
Arrow too bad

you just moved to the wrong area of ohio, and are looking for all the wrong things to do. again, only an opinion, like yours. sounds like you've mingled with all the wrong people also! you're going to find problems like yours everywhere. good luck. and you're welcome!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmize View Post
you just moved to the wrong area of ohio, and are looking for all the wrong things to do. again, only an opinion, like yours. sounds like you've mingled with all the wrong people also! you're going to find problems like yours everywhere. good luck. and you're welcome!
Most definately. This is one of those "should have visited first" deals. It was a hurry up and get it done thing-- the job transfer was available, but optional, but it was more money... so I took it. Believe me, after living here, money isnt everything. I should have stayed in MD!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:52 AM

29 posts, read 162,498 times
Default onewayout

Hi! I just had to chuckle reading your post.
I could have sworn you were talking about my home state Georgia!
Except for the "pop" thing. Down here, doesn't matter
which brand you prefer, every soda is a "coke".
btw, my family in N.H. calls soda "a tonic". wierd huh?

Old 08-28-2006, 11:10 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
one way,
its funny you said you like pa,i found that pa amounts to philly on one side,pittsburg on the other and arkansas in between!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio